Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Widespread Panic 3/24/05 Fox ATL

Hey Y'All,
>
> What can I say, I just saw my first Panic show in almost 15 months! I must admit, I was surprised how well they performed. I was expecting a bit of rust, but that thought quickly dissappeared when I heard the opening notes of Holden. Sorry you missed it Jeff Frank. You chose to watch Illinois play an unranked overmatched basketball team instead of seeing our boys! George nailed it as he did so many times last night. Practice is a very nice thing! There was a huge amount of electricity in the air. Anticipation was making us wait! What has made the scene for me, the past few years, is getting to see so many friends! That means more than the music itself. It was like going to a family reunion! Great seeing Steve Bohannon, Brian, Leslie, Derrick, Hugh, Darryl, All the Foxes(Jonathin, Justin, and Charles), and the rest of the crew. Also good hangin' with my houseguests - Ernest T. Bass and Zee. They got BLOWN UP!!! There were fewer tapers than I expected. Carrington and I set up FOB, DFC, Kfc in row O. Thanks to Marcus for the use of the seats! He gets an A+! The tapes came out very good.
>
> Chris came from around the soundboard to say hey to me when we first got in and told me he was ready to get this thing going! He was pumped as well. Not everything was perfect, they had a couple of moments, such as JoJo fumbling the lyrics to Greta. JB and George were kinda laughing, but they saved it.
>
> When they first came out, JB said, "Welcome back everybody". When they started the 2nd set, he said, "I were a little bit nervous". I had to mention this as many people were inquisitve about any remarks said by JB. The 2nd set was pretty short, but well played. I titled the new song Second Skin. Anyone have the real name, perhaps "Life is a Dream"? The highlight of the first set was the jam out of Lilly and the smokin' Rock. Ain't Life Grand was an obvious set closer, I still get a shit eatin' grin when I hear "In my mind I was a child", it still fits me!
>
> The second set Old Neighborhood opener was very funky and dirty. The jam out of Wonderin' was another highlight as it stretched out the song to over 14 minutes. JoJo had the B-3 going. The Drivin' sandwich with the new one was interesting, I swear I heard Goin' Out West in there, or did I? Both JB and George played the slide during the song. Nice getting a 3 song encore, the Use Me was great as Dave was hittin' it hard. He was very animated all night long. The only drums was a mini version in the middle of Fish20.
>
> Great seeing Dino back to work on the lights. And they had a new array of lights that covered the back of the stage. They had a nice effect, or was it the vegetables? The lights were in verticle lines in 2 rows on the back of the stage. The top row had 4 sets of seven strips, and the bottom row had 9 sets in a pattern of 4-7-3-7-7-7-3-7-4 strips.
>
> They were solid as I mentioned. The setlist itself was relatively standard as they did not risk any chances. There did not seem to be an overabundance of tapers. I guess with the downloads, it isn't totally necessary. I still say it is always nice walkin' or stumblin' out of a show with a tape! Here is how it went down:
>
> Widespread Panic
> Fabulous Fox Theatre
> Atlanta, Georgia
> 3/24/2005
>
> 8:10
>
> HOLDEN OVERSOUL> 6:28
> LOVE TRACTOR 5:20
> THIN AIR 9:37
> HATFIELD 12:45
> ONE ARM STEVE 4:20
> FISHIN'> 7:13
> LITTLE LILLY> 10:30
> ROCK 6:05
> AIN'T LIFE GRAND 5:10
>
> 9:17 (1:07:33)
>
> 9:59
> OLD NEIGHBORHOOD 6:45
> PAPA JOHNNY ROAD 6:10
> WONDERIN'> 14:56
> DRIVIN' SONG> 4:10
> SECOND SKIN?> 11:23
> GOIN OUT WEST JAM> 6:53
> DRIVIN' SONG> 3:30
> GRETA> 7:54
> FISH20> 4:15
> MINI-DRUMS> 1:25
> FISH20 2:34
>
> 11:07 (1:09:05)
>
> 11:13
>
> BLUE INDIAN> 5:54
> USE ME 10:45
> CLIMB TO SAFETY 6:41
>
> 11:35 (1:32:58)
>
> SCHOEPS MK41>LUNATEC V2>APOGEE MINI-ME 48K
>
> Two more nights of madness!
>
> Late,
> Z-Man
>
>
>
> No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large
> number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home