Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Papa Mali/Sam Bush/Hot Tuna Bluffton 9/17/2005

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> I got a call from my buddy Jason a couple of days ago asking me if I would be at Ripplefest to see Jorma. I wanted to go, but I was working a long day of catering at one of my accounts in Michigan. It was in the back of my mind for a couple of days. I got up and left for work around 4:00 am yesterday. My Regional Chef and I drove up to Chelsea, Mchigan to perform the catered event for our clients. We spent the better part of Friday there prepping all the food. The event went very well. We broke it down, and headed back to Toledo with our crew around 4:00. We then unloaded and returned the trucks we had used. It was now after 5:00 and I said, what the hell. I took a quick shower, changed, grabbed my gear, and headed south for the hour drive. i got there as Papa Mali was just starting. My friend Tim had the board patch, so I plugged in. The Ripplefest is a 2 day festival hosting some national as well as regional bands. It is literally a couple of hundred yards off of I-75. They have like a small barn with a stage and roof above. It is open on the sides and back. The sound was very good. Bales of hay were strewn around the dance floor, they do make nice seats! Always a pleasure to get to hang with the great John Hurlbut! Hope to see him later in the fall. Of course it is always good to see Vanessa, but I did miss Cathy A, hope you are doing well. Great seeing Andrea and Todd there as well. I can usually count on running into some of the usual suspects in any part of the country. I met a new friend last night, Pat of Roastafarians Coffee Company. They roast organic coffees from all over the world, Kindness in every Cup.
>
> I was talking to Tim, amazed at the tiny crowd of about 200 for Papa Mali. He explained that some plain-clothsed police popped 17 people the night before. Many people had left as a result. The crowd was very, very, small. I would venture to say there were less than 1,000 folks on hand. Papa Mali is a blues artist originally from New Orleans. I have seen him a number of times over the years. My favorite show was when he sat in with JJ Grey, Curtis Burch, and David Bromberg at Harvest Fest in 2001(This is where Melissa dropped someone's D-8 in the mud). I enjoyed the set his 3 piece band played. He started at 7:02 and played for about 1:35. A nice Dehlia's Gone(Johnny Cash), Since I Laid My Burden Down, Bottle Up and Go, and a long Guilded Splinters. I thought it was interesting that they covered a True Religion with Hot Tuna headlining tonight.
>
> Next up was Sammy! I have seen him three times this year. The first time, was at the Newport in Columbus where Nate was introducing me to people as his father! Usually Sam's setlists do not variate enough for me. Tonight, he dipped farther into his catalogue. I loved the Grandpa Jones tune, Eight More Miles to Louisville, as usual. The Whisper My Name, was a nice treat from back in the early Newgrass days. He did the usual tribute to Bob Marley. Mr. House had a nice bass solo in that segment.
>
> They pulled out a 20 minute version of When You Gonna Wake Up! Teh encore was a 19 minute version of Same Old River, the longest I have ever seen. During the set, it started getting chilly and a bit foggy, as fall is starting to set in here in the midwest.
>
> Jason originally was thinking about leaving early, but the peer pressure asserted by me put an end to those thoughts. He did have a brain fart as he could not get proper signal from his AD2K to his laptop. Thanks to a quick call to Dan the Man, the problem dissappeared. Jorma, Jack, and Barry hit the stage a bit after 11:45. I ran a 90 meter tape in hopes of a long set as they were scheduled to play 11:30-1:30. A Let us Get Together served as the opener. There was a mix of a few Blue Country tunes in addition to the Hot Tuna standars. Barry busted out the banjo for Bread Line Blues and Prohibition Blues during the set. Jorma introduced Another Man Done Gone. I guess they called an audible at the line of scrimmage because they launched into Parchman Farm. The only sound difficulties occured at the beginning of this song with some crackling for about 10 seconds. This segued nicely into my favorite, Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burning.The set rolled along nicely with a sweet Genesis, I Know You Rider, Embryonic Journey, and a lengthy as usual Good Shepherd. The set clocked in at over 2 hours! Back up for a S.F. Bay Blues. It was a very fast pack up and into the car. I bid Jason goodbye as he headed south to Cincy, and I was heading north to Toledo. The fog was intense for half the trip. I got in at about 3:30 a.m. A 24 hour stretch of work and music. Here is how it went down:
>
> Papa Mali
> Ripplefest
> Bluffton, Ohio
> 9/17/2005
>
> 7:01
>
> ?
> ? 6:23
> INSTRUMENTAL 4:48
> SINCE I LAID MY BURDEN DOWN 7:38
> DEHELIA'S GONE 6:27
> ? 7:00
> WALK ON GUILDED SPLINTERS 9:08
> ? 7:30
> BOTTLE UP AND GO> 7:40
> DRUM SOLO> 2:20
> JAM> 2:41
> BOTTLE UP AND GO 1:37
> YOU GOT TO DO YOUR THING 8:08
> TRUE RELIGION 9:40
> I FEEL LIKE GOING HOME 4:45
>
> 8:36 (1:35:46)
>
> SOUNDBOARD>ROLAND VS 2400CD>DAP1
>
> Sam Bush Band
> Ripplefest
> Bluffton, Ohio
> 9/17/2005
>
> 9:10
>
> INSTRUMENTAL 4:37
> MAKE MYSELF A BETTER MAN 7:25
> EIGHT MORE MILES TO LOUISVILLE 4:50
> WHISPER MY NAME 4:00
> LIVELY UP YOURSELF 5:15
> IS THIS LOVE 17:06
> INSTRUMENTAL 5:01
> HOWL AT THE MOON 3:05
> INSTRUMENTAL 3:29
> WHEN YOU GONNA WAKE UP 20:10
>
> 10:26 ()1:16:20)
>
> 10:30
>
> SAME OLD RIVER 19:24
> BRINGIN' IN THE GEORGIA MAIL 6:10
>
> 10:53 (1:42:38)
>
> MXL991>ROLAND VS 2400CD>DAP1
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC
>
> Hot Tuna Acoustic
> Ripplefest
> Bluffton, Ohio
> 9/17/2005
>
> 11:46
>
> LET US GET TOGETHER 6:17
> BLUE RAILROAD TRAIN 6:06
> HESITATION BLUES 6:50
> PARCHMAN FARM> 6:59
> KEEP YOUR LAMPS TRIMMED AND BURNING 5:38
> HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BARRY
> SERPENT OF DREAMS 8:04
> I'LL LET YOU KNOW BEFORE I LEAVE 3:05
> BLUES STAY AWAY FROM ME 5:23
> BREAD LINE BLUES 7:02
> 99 YEAR BLUES 9:16
> I SEE THE LIGHT 7:15
> PROHIBITION BLUES 7:38
> THAT'LL NEVER HAPPEN NO MORE 7:25
> GENESIS 4:47
> I KNOW YOU RIDER 7:51
> EMBRYONIC JOURNEY 3:43
> GOOD SHEPHERD 14:24
> JUST BECAUSE 6:25
>
> 1:49 (2:04:55)
>
> 1:50
>
> SAN FRANCISCO BAY BLUES 6:35
>
> 1:56 (2:11:39)
>
> MXL991>ROLAND VS 2400CD>DAP1
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC
>
> Congratulations to Kate and Nate, there are going to be having a baby!!!!!! Looks like Nate will be purchasing even more blow up toys next year!

Just watched the Panic portion of Farm-Aid on the webcast. nice Surprise Valley and Expiration Day. Dave Matthews joined for the closer, None of Us are Free. Very short as expected. Was Hubie there???? Did Jeff run the HPF2????
>
> Late,
> Z-Man
>
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home