Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Dark Star Orchestra Springfield 8/17/2005

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> One last time, excuse the delay. I had no intention of seeing any music the 2nd week of the trapshoot, really. I got a call from Dan and Michelle that afternoon asking me if I was going to the DSO show. I told them no. First of all I had to work until 7:30 at the earliest as I had a catering that I did for 1,000 people, I wasn't going to drive that far, I wasn't going to spend money for that band ( especially when I saw the real thing in the day), and mainly because after 14 hours, I wanted to get to bed at a reasonable hour. I talked to Tim at about 8:00 as I was leaving work. He told me it was only about 20 miles to the show. He also told me Barraco was the keyboard player. I also found out I could get in for free. These 3 reasons sorta, kinda, reversed my position. I picked up a sandwich and drove off. Tim gave me blow by blow mapquest directions. I arrived just as they were to begin the 2nd set. I really liked the Veterans Park. It was a small amphitheatre. I would guess that there were at least 2,500 - 3,000 people there. The first 30 feet from stage was a dance pit. After this, people were sitting in lawn chairs.
>
> I missed the first set so had no idea what they played or what show it was. When they played Touch of Gray, I realized it was a made up setlist as they had the "Donna" singer with them. Donna left the band in 2/79 so this was not a replica show. No testing the music brain tonight. This jammed into St. Stephen to the delight of everyone. Hearing St. Stephen>Morning Dew always brings back memories to the Cornell '77 show I attended with Mark, Laurie, Charlie, and Eli. Never forget running into a snow storm on the way back to Rochester that Mother's Day evening while we were all in altered states! A good selection of songs. I was a bit dissappointed that Rob Baracco never got to sing. Back to the hotel in about 30 minutes and in bed for a nice 4 hours of sleep!
>
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Dark Star Orchestra
> Veterens Park Amphitheatre
> Springfield, Ohio
> 8/17/2005
>
> 9:00
>
> Box of Rain
> WRS Prelude>
> WRS Part 1>
> Let It Grow
> Touch of Gray>
> St Stphen>
> Drum Solo>
> Not Fade Away>
> Space>
> Not Fade Away>
> St Stephen>
> Morning Dew>
> Turn on Your Lovelight
>
> 10:41
>
> 10:45
>
> Brokedown Palace
> On The Road Again
>
> 10:55
>
> Here is the first set now that I found it:
> HC Sunshine, Stranger, Dire Wolf, Desolation Row, BE Women, Passenger, Stagger Lee, Next Time, Cumberland, Big Iron, US Blues
>
> Today's interesting tidbit, thanks Bob:
>
> Filmed Dylan and Harrison 1971 duet unearthed
>
> By Nina Goswami/The Telegraph
>
> Unseen footage of George Harrison, Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton rehearsing for the 1971 Concert for Bangladesh, has been uncovered.
>
> The film clips show Harrison, the Beatle who died in 2001, and Dylan, the singer-songwriter, experimenting with songs for the concert - the first ever superstar benefit.
>
> One of these was Dylan's If Not For You. Although the song never made it to the stage on August 1, 1971, it is included in a reissue of the Concert for Bangladesh - as a film and album.
>
> Jonathan Clyde, one of three producers of the reissue, felt "like a fly on the wall" when he first watched Dylan and Harrison rehearsing the song 34 years ago.
>
> "If Not For You has great charm because Bob and George are great friends. As it's just rehearsals, they're practically playing to each other - not to anyone else - and you can see them cracking up in the middle of it and trying to get the lyrics and harmonies right. It's very personal and there's a real intimacy about it that is very poignant," he said.
>
> Additional footage of Dylan, not seen since 1971, was also unearthed. The singer, for reasons unknown, only performed Love Minus Zero/No Limit at the afternoon concert - the first of two to take place.
>
> As a result it was not included in the original film or album. The producers of the new DVD and CD, however, were so mesmerised by it they decided to include it.
>
> The clips also give an insight of what was happening back stage.
>
> Harrison says of Dylan: "He wasn't sure he was coming because the night before when we got to Madison Square Garden he saw all these cameras and microphones in this huge place and said, 'This isn't my scene. I can't make this.'
>
> "On stage, I had a little list on my guitar, which had Bob with a question mark and it got to that point and I looked round to see if Bob was going to come on or not.
>
> "He was so nervous and he had his harmonica on and his guitar in his hand and he was walking on to the stage thinking, 'It's now or never.' "
>
> The reels had been gathering dust for more than 30 years in the Apple film archive in California.
>
> The films were discovered after Harrison decided in 2000 that it was time to reissue the film and CD of the concert to raise additional funds for Unicef.
>
> A spokesman for Apple, the Beatles record company, said: "George started playing with the audio a little bit and with the mixes. Then he spoke to Apple about the DVD, so we were starting to plan it but then sadly he became ill and it went on the back-burner - until such time as Olivia, his wife, wanted to actually fulfil this wish that he had."
>
> The Concert for Bangladesh DVD and CD will be released on October 24.
>
> Late,
> Z-Man
>
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home