Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Widespread Panic Pittsburgh 8-3-2005

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> Sorry for the delay but I am in the midst of 2 weeks of 12-15 hour days at work.
>
> I decided to make it happen after Nate and I talked each other into this one! I left work after my meeting and drove to Pittsburgh with Nate, Aaron, and Eric. We hit the Station Square Hotel and hung with Wade prior to the show. We hooked up with Connie and Melissa, Nate's friends from West Virginia. Melissa even had an extra pair of comp ducats for Nate and I! I got miracled! Wade and I headed over to the "Amphitent" at about 6:00. when we walked in, there was nobody there. They soundchecked Last Dance. The taper's section was about 10 feet beyond the board. The front was very thin as very few people were there. Nate was very skeptical. I pleaded with him to go upfront but it fell on deaf ears. When Pete showed at the last minute, I talked in ihto FOB, as we joined Jim. Great move! We set up 35 feet from stage DFC. The first set had a few nice choices including my first Chunk in a couple of years. The CGH>C Brown was very nice. I am not a big fan of Dying Man, but the nearly 15 minute Ain't No Use was off the hook. Dave was slammin' it! This segued nicely into Rock. JB strapped on the mando and ALG ended the set.
>
> The second set was very solid and held a few nuggets! Choke Me Somebody is not my favorite. The mid-set Coconut was a pleasant surprise. Why did I have to catch a show with Daisy Mae? The only Daisy Mae I don't mind is Matt and Rebecca Kinder's dog. The set hit high gear after this as they broke out my favorite Panic song, Diner. I enjoyed all 18 Minutes of it! It smoothly went into Drivin'>Red Hot Mama. Dave knocked down a bass solo. After a short drum solo, they finished off the Drivin' sandwich. Always nice getting a Fantasy! The encore was a Spreadhead's wishlist, Haeven>Knockin' Around the Zoo! Do to the weight of the new light system, the back of the stage could not hold the full compliment that Dino has been treating us with. Chris had the tent sounding very good. The tapes smoke, ask Nate! In honor of Jeff Frank, we ran the High Pass Filter 2 for the encore! I was on duty texting the setlists as they unfolded for Curtis and Trez at Panicstream. Great time hangin' with Wade, Nate, Dangerous Dan, Tom, Jim, Dr. Will, Alex, Kenny, Melissa, and Connie!
>
> I headed over to the hotel with Wade as he needed to seed the show immediately. I was to meet Nate and Dr. Will as we were driving back to Columbus after the show. All three of us were in altered states, only two of us were drunk, and I wasn't one! Guess who ended up driving. I was hoping to be in the back of Dr. Will's pickup, catching z's. I had to drive to Dayton the next morning to be at work by 9:00 am. I finally hit the wall at about 3:00 am and asked Dr. Will to go the last 45 minutes. I ended up making it to work, it was a rough day to say the least, chock full of problems. The price you pay sometimes.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Widespread Panic
> Chevrolet Amphitheatre
> Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
> 8/3/2005
>
> 7:23
>
> OLD NEIBORHOOD 6:05
> WONDERIN'> 6:51
> CHUNK OF COAL 3:55
> CAN'T GET HIGH> 3:55
> C. BROWN> 6:22
> DYIN' MAN> 4:28
> AIN'T NO USE> 14:48
> ROCK 7:40
> AIN'T LIFE GRAND 5:00
>
> 8:21 (58:41)
>
> 8:54
>
> HELP ME SOMEBODY> 6:40
> YOU SHOULD BE GLAD> 7:29
> COCONUT 6:50
> COWS COME HOME> 7:38
> DAISY MAE 6:35
> DINER!> 18:47
> DRIVIN' SONG> 4:05
> RED HOT MAMA> 8:45
> DRUM SOLO> 2:09
> DRIVIN' SONG> 2:27
> BIG WOOLY MAMMOTH> 6:27
> DEAR MR. FANTASY 6:06
>
> 10:17 (2:22:58)
>
> 10:20
>
> HEAVEN> 5:22
> KNOCKIN' AROUND THE ZOO
>
> 10:31 (2:34:25)
>
> Here is an interview with Dave that was in Jambase. Pretty cool:
>
> This month's guest, Dave Schools of Widespread Panic, can groove, bounce and drop bass bombs with the best of them. Besides being one of the great rock bass players of our generation, Schools is a real sweetheart and a pleasure to hang with. We caught up with him on the eve of Panic's three-night run at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley as Panic plows through its summer tour. Enjoy.
>
>
>
> Dave Schools :: Red Rocks :: 06.25.05 by T. Voggesser
> AT: New members of the Allman Brothers Band reportedly get a tattoo upon joining the band. Does Widespread Panic have any secret initiation rituals when new people join the group?
>
> DS: We have initiation rituals, but they wouldn't be secret if I told you what they were!
>
> AT: You're a fan of electronica music. If you were given the opportunity to spin a set as a guest DJ at a club, what would your DJ moniker be?
>
> DS: My DJ moniker would have to be Schoolly D...oh wait...that's been taken!
>
> AT: Gimme your best Colonel Bruce Hampton story.
>
>
>
> Dave Schools :: Bonnaroo '05 by J. Jones
> DS: When asked what rehearsal for the Aquarium Rescue Unit consisted of, the Colonel responded, "Walking around in a circle and examining each other's intent."
>
> AT: What DVDs/TV shows are you watching on the bus these days?
>
> DS: Big bus fave DVDs: All three seasons of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Chappelle's Show (Season II), Miles Davis "Electric," and Shakes The Clown.
>
> AT: You're a big Deadhead. How many Dead shows did you attend and what's your favorite year of Dead shows to listen to?
>
> DS: I guess I saw about 100 Dead shows from 1977-1995 with the majority being in the early '80s. My fave years for listening are 1972 and 1981. I can't believe it's been 10 years since Garcia passed away!
>
> AT: What's your favorite venue that you've ever had a chance to play and why?
>
>
>
> Dave Schools :: 04.17.05 by J. Krolick
> DS: My favorite venues are Red Rocks (obvious reasons), The Fox in Atlanta (absolutely the most gorgeous), and the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC tied with The NorVa in Norfolk, VA. Both are great nightclubs with the emphasis on the concert venue aspect run by people who love music.
>
> AT: Do you have any superstitions or routines you have while on tour?
>
> DS: "I Ain't Superstitious" and the only routine I have is trying to get to sleep before the sun comes up.
>
> If you could pick three people, alive or dead, to have sit in tonight, who would they be?
>
> DS: Three people to sit in alive or dead... Mike Houser, Allen Woody, and John Lennon.
>
> AT: Who's got the coolest tour bus that you've ever seen? Why?
>
> DS: Neil Young has the coolest tour bus out there. It's old as the hills and all wood on the inside. Beautiful and weird just like Neil!
>
> AT: John, Paul, George or Ringo? Why?
>
>
>
> Dave Schools :: Susan J. Weiand
> DS: John Lennon of course... I mean c'mon: "Tomorrow Never Knows"! Although George is my fave post-Beatles Beatle.
>
> AT: What's in the CD changer/iPOD these days?
>
> DS: The iPod contains 5,500 songs ranging from a 45-minute studio jam session of the original ARU to the entire early ZZ Top catalog. It's slightly depressing that a lifetime of collecting music can fit into something the size of a deck of cards!
>
> AT: What's one album or artist you wouldn't want to admit is in your iPOD/CD changer?
>
> DS: My guilty iPod pleasure is KC & The Sunshine Band.
>
> AT: You've played with or met countless musicians over the years. Was there ever an instance when you were star struck?
>
> DS: The only time I have ever been star struck was when Chuck Leavell introduced me to Keith Richards at Stones rehearsals in Toronto. But I got over it and Keith gave me a bouquet of Marlboro reds. Did I smoke 'em? Damn skippy I smoked 'em!
>
>

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home