Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Widespread Panic Portsmouth 8/6/2005

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> Night 2 of Portsmouth had us eager with anticipation. I spent the afternoon across the street from the hotel seeing Mark Brut and Scott Holcomb. I sat with Wade as he was manning the t-shirt table and giving a donation percentage to Panic Fans for Food. The small soundboard was on top of the ice machine behind the board. There was no one to run the sound so I was kind of forced into duty. I did the best I could after the owner showed me a couple of things on the new board. It sounded okay to me. They played a couple of nice sets with some interesting covers(Jerry Joseph, The Who, Lou Reed, Motorhead, Truckers, Jorma, Panic, Tom Waits, Talking Heads, Rolling Stones, Zevon, etc.). They did have pretty much a full house in there. Nice seein' Mike and Jenn, The Wells' and the Ellingtons, Karen, Sandon (Go Team Focker!), and several others. Most of the crowd stayed for the 2nd set. We watched the Braves vs. Dodgers on the big screen. During I Know You Rider, Andru Jones cranked out a Grand Slam, his second homer of the game! Not sure of the setlist but here is a smattering of the songs, Brut will probably be able to set it straight with his self-review which I am sure will be forthcoming.
>
> On to the Panic show. We lined up at the front gate. The head usher was all about the tapers, way cool. He let us in about 2 minutes before the general public so we could get our seats and set up. We set up again in the 2nd row, pretty much with "the same rowdy crowd that was here last night". I love a Surprise Valley opener and George hit the leads quite nicely. This segued nicely into No Sugar in a surprise #2 position. George also nailed the Holden. Sharon as always was a nice nugget for us all. Big Bust, not my favorite, put us in a Phishy state of affairs as the glow sticks hit the air! The Jack was nice.
>
> The second set rocked! We got several A list songs. Pigeons always rocks, no matter when they pull it out. As the opener, it worked well. The second Skin was as dark and eerie as ever. Ride Me High had a nice duel between Dave and Jojo during the jam. The Wrangler is always a special song to hear, and it brought a smile on my face! I just love hearing Expiration Day! I did call a Vacation out of the Travelin' Man before the show, and we got it. I thought the guitar work was a bit weak on the leads, nonetheless, everyone was gripped by the song, especially when it went into Arlene! JB repeated Finger Lickin' Good during the rap. Life during Wartime is getting into the rotation more these days. Always great to hear a Conrad! The encore started out too slow for me, but the Pilgrims>Lawyers, Guns, and $ rocked! We left the venue feeling quite drained and satiated. A better played show than night 1. I did bring the diaper bag for Carrington. I'm sure many of you saw the picture of him with his beloved beer! On to the hotel to track and seed the show. As far as the High Pass Filter being used on the V3, as Frank S. told me, "it is a woman's right to choose" whether or not to use it.
>
> The next morning was not good for me. I had a 10:00 flight and left 3 wake up calls, 7:00, 7:15, and 10:00 for Charles and Myndie. At 9:00, I awoke to Myndie saying Z-Man, it is 9:00. With the phone next to my pillow, we never recieved the first 2 wake up calls. Every Delta flight was sold out for the rest of the day. I finally got the last seat on a 1:45 plane. Needless to say, I was 4 hours late for work. My bag got lost and I did not find out where it was until about midnight! Oh well. Here is how it went down:
>
> Mark Brut/Scott Holcomb
> Portsmouth, Virginia
> 8/6/2005
>
> 1:32
>
> One of These Days 9:05
> ? 6:45 (Scott broke a string)
> *I See the Light 4:45
> Jerry Song? 6:45
> The Waker 4:50
> Goin' Out West 5:40
> City of Dreams 6:50
> I'm in Love with That Song
> ? 4:30
> ? 4:00
> Tornados 5:45
> Porch Song (Slow Version) 5:
> ? 6:45
> Ziggy Stardust 4:30
> Lou Reed cover 5:50
> I Know You Rider 7:10
>
> 2:54 (1:25:09)
>
> 3:11
>
> *?
> ?
> ?
> Ace of Spades
> Burned Faceless
> Chilly Water
> ? 4:15
> Lawyers, Guns, and Money 7:30
> Ain't Got No Good Intentions 7:30
> Jack 6:45
> ? 3:18
> Squeezebox
>
> 4:33 (1:22:22)
>
> *Mark Solo
>
> Soundboard>DAP1
>
> Widespread Panic
> NTelos Pavilion
> Portsmouth, VA
> 8/6/2005
>
> 8:14
>
> Surprise Valley > 4:41
> Mini Drums> :26
> Surprise Valley> 5:28
> No Sugar Tonight> 3:01
> New Mother Nature 3:00
> All Time Low 5:05
> Weight Of The World 5:46
> Holden Oversoul > 7:20
> Sharon > 10:36
> Bust It Big> 10:31
> Jack> 7:04
> Imitation Leather Shoes 4:
>
> 9:21 (1:07:05)
>
> 9:57
>
> Pigeons> 9:49
> Second Skin> 14:38
> Ride Me High > 11:32
> Space Wrangler 9:00
> Expiration Day 6:00
> Travelin' Man > 6:00
> Vacation > 10:14
> Arleen > 12:20
> Life During Wartime 6:18
> Conrad
>
> 11:31 (2:42:14)
>
> 11:36
>
> May Your Glass Be Filled> 5:54
> Pilgrims> 7:11
> Lawyers, Guns, And Money
>
> 11:53 (2:59:54)
>
> Schoeps MK4V>M222>NT222>Sound Device 722>DAP!
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC!
>
> Today's interesting item:
>
> No copyright violation in 'Fixin' to Die Rag'
>
> SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court has rejected a lawsuit
> charging 1960s psychedelic rocker Country Joe McDonald with copyright
> infringement for his 1965 protest song "Fixin' to Die Rag," which became a
> rallying cry for opposition to the Vietnam War.
>
> In a decision made public on Friday, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
> rejected an appeal from Babette Ory, who said McDonald's song infringed on
> jazz standard "Muskrat Ramble," credited to her father, Kid Ory.
>
> Ory sued in September 2001, claiming that "Fixin' to Die Rag" was similar to
> and infringed on "Muskrat Ramble." Kid Ory, who recorded with jazz great
> Louis Armstrong, died in 1973.
>
> The appellate judges upheld a lower-court decision saying there was too long
> a delay in bringing the copyright lawsuit and awarded McDonald his attorney
> fees. Ory obtained copyright to "Muskrat Ramble" in 2001.
>
> McDonald wrote "Fixing To Die Rag" in 1965 to protest the nation's
> escalating military involvement in Vietnam and the song's refrain: "And it's
> one, two, three, what are we fighting for?" quickly turned into a rallying
> cry against the war and figured prominently at the Woodstock music festival
> in 1969.
>
>
> Kudos to our friend and lighting director for Panic! This is an interview from 2001, thanks Jayne. I wanted to share this with y'all as this man has an extensive background and I have considered him a good tour friend the past few years. Here it is:
>
> What about the magical world of lighting interested you and how did you get your start?
>
> I have been working in lighting professionally as a Designer/Director since 1975 where I was based locally in Cleveland, OH. My first real job was working for TASCO lighting crew and Earth, Wind & Fire from 1979-1985.
>
> What would you consider your first big break into the industry?
>
> Since 1985 I have been both operating and designing. My first full LD job was working with Eric Clapton in 1986. Since that time I have also worked with KISS, Deep Purple, Megadeth and now Widespread Panic for about the last year or so. I have worked specifically with Icons, Vari*Lite and various other boards and equipment.
>
> What were some of the major events you've worked on?
>
> I also worked on the NFL Experience in Atlanta 1994, The Georgia Music Awards in '94 and '95. I filled the role as Board Operator for the Apple Computer Trade Show in 1994 as designed by John Osborne.
>
> This band has no pre-programmed set list and no song is played the same way twice, therefore everything is totally live and original. I have to build upon basic color schemes, specific foci and manually operate the entire system. It's a great learning experience having never operated the same show twice with these guys. They also do not tend to move a great deal around the stage.
>
> Do you own your own gear? Are you are an independent LD or are you affiliated with a company or venue? Why?
>
> On this 2001 tour with Widespread Panic we use gear provided by Light Sound Design of Atlanta, GA and all our Icon lights come from Nashville.
>
> On this tour our crew consists of three guys: a Dimmer Tech/Electrician, Crew Chief and Icon Technician. We used the same guys on tour last year. We rent each rig of gear for the tour ahead of us only.
>
> Is there anyone person or show that inspired you or motivated you to continue in the field?
>
> I learn from asking questions and gathering information from my peers. Comar on the East Coast, who produce the Super Sycs provide a great deal of information for their product. I do not attend other shows to watch others' work, I want my work to remain 100% original and never wish to be accused of copying others.
>
> What is your technique to ward off 'gig-butt'?
>
> (Dino chose to refrain from revealing his personal method. basically taking the 5th. a real class act)
>
> What was the most difficult gig you've ever done? What do you find challenging?
>
> Each venue produces different challenges. At the Greek Theater this year we had no rigging points, there simply are not any in that venue. I was able to place a number of the lights in other areas on the open stage and still utilize 100% of the gear. At the Beacon Theater I was able to cut down the size of the box truss to adjust to exactly what I needed.
>
> What are different types of gigs you've ever done?
>
> What I like best is creativity. I have worked on a number of corporate events. You can do a lot at these events with different levels of brightness, but not color. It does not remain a flexible environment for lighting.
>
> ON THIS CURRENT GIG: what desk are you using? Why? What fixtures? Why? How many? Conventional vs. Intelligent? Why?
>
> I operate with an LSD Icon desk which I find is best for shows "on the fly"! On stage we have the following:
> 18 LSD Icons
> 10 LSD Wash Lights
> 18 Studio Colors
> 9 Molds with Color Changers
> asymmetrical Y brand
> Intelligent Fixtures
>
> For the trusses I use one box truss and then asymmetrical approach with the other y angle trusses. The whole system is very flexible and can evolve as the band does through both indoor and outdoor venues. We have to be extremely flexible to load into a theater one night, arena the next and then an outdoor amphitheatre in the same week. My conventional lights include 60 ParCams.
>
> We also use two rear trusses with 3 LSD Icons on each. These begin the show at almost floor level and then can be raised during the show.
>
> How much did cost or budget limitation play in your decision-making?
>
> Budget plays a greater role certainly on this tour. This band does not tour with a large cash flow of record support so this type of tour is packaged differently. Widespread Panic tours about three times per year and flexibility is the key for us on the production crew. I can cut this rig down to about half the size if necessary or use every piece I have got in the truck. There is no waste in this rig.
>
> Is this your preference for a touring lighting gear? If you could - what would you add or change?
>
> Working in this truly live manual concert format is different than before when I worked nearly 500 shows with Megadeth. I would very much like to stay with this band, there are certainly less politics and more of a family relationship. Everyone on this crew is cut a wide berth, allowing for fewer limitations in creating the production.
>
> How has the technology of lighting changed, and where do you see it going?
>
> I have read a bit about Super Sychs that came out in the last year. I have only seen them in the shop before the tour. They are remarkably bright and we plan to use them at Phillips Arena for New Year's Eve three night run. I believe they incorporate 2 1200 lamps, 2 light sources a Dacroic filter and a moving yoke!
>
> What is the key to being successful as a Lighting Director?
>
> I think technology can be the key, using LSD Icons provides multiple gobo looks. I have seen lighting evolve since the mid-1970's, especially how it is packaged for touring. Now you do not have to build everything separately. Gear is so much more truck friendly and much of the gear is no manufactured out of aluminum and carbon fiber. Equipment is far more enduring now, but still needs to be road tested.
>
> Every product has its place in this business. One needs to establish their own visual goals and pay attention to how they evolve over the years.
>
> What are you goals, or what would be your dream gig?
>
> I am happy that I have learned from the ground up and worked through the business. If you are going to school to learn about production, stay in! There can be so many other things, even political and financial that can challenge any Lighting Director in his or her job. Only about 10% of it can be the Leico. One knows that can there can be only a certain number of years lifespan working in the touring industry including all the travel time and work. It's like being in the army, sign on for life or get out of the business!
>
> I have reflected upon my life in five-year cycles. At 30, I thought maybe I'll do this for another 5 years. I did the same at 40 and now 45. I have watched the industry evolve as well. Doing what I like doing, that is my true enjoyment. This I enjoy very much and hope to continue doing it for some time to come.
>
> We wish you all the luck and success in the world Dino, and thanks for being our first in a series of inspirational WORKING LDs.
>
>
> Today's featured humor:
>
> TOP 17 BUMPER STICKERS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE
>
> 17. Jesus loves you...but everyone else thinks you are an asshole.
>
> 16. Impotence...Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings."
>
> 15. The proctologist called...they found your head.
>
> 14. Everyone has a photographic memory...some just don't have any film.
>
> 13. Save your breath...You'll need it to blow up your date.
>
> 12. Your ridiculous little opinion has been noted.
>
> 11. I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.
>
> 10. WANTED: Meaningful overnight relationship.
>
> 9. Guys...just because you have one, doesn't mean you have to be one.
>
> 8. Some people just don't know how to drive...I call these people
>
> "Everybody But Me."
>
> 7. Heart Attacks...God's revenge for eating His animal friends.
>
> 6. Don't like my driving? Then quit watching me.
>
> 5. If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you.
>
> 4. Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.
>
> 3. Try not to let your mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be
>
> out by itself.
>
> 2. Hang up and drive!
>
> AND THE NUMBER ONE BUMPER STICKER YOU'D LIKE TO SEE!
>
> 1. Welcome to America...now speak English!
>
>
> Late,
> Z-Man
>
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home