Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Monday, October 03, 2005

B.B. King Memphis 10/3/2005

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> First of all, Happy and healthy La'Shana Tova, Happy New Year! What can one say about seeing this Legend. I remember seeing him at the Auditorium Theatre in Rochester in May of 1975(no old jokes please). I got into town late afternoon. I called B.B. King's Blues Club. I spoke with Gracie and she had 3 SRO tickets left. I hauled out the plastic and grabbed one immediately. I got over there and went in. I met Gracie and thanked her. The place was already packed before the two openers. Very hot as well as BB does not believe in air conditioning for a performance.Both openers were local performers. Preston Shannon opened and played a 40 minute set. Next up was Ruby Wilson, The "Queen of Beale Street". She played a 50 minute set from 8:30-9:20. She covered some classic R & B such as Use Me, Will it Go Round in Circles, Tell Me Something Good, Let's Get it On, I Wannna Be Next to You, and We Brought the Funk.
>
> The stage hands got the stage ready and BB's band took thespotlight just after 9:45. His band came on just after 9:45. What a polished act as they have been together forever! They played a couple of instrumentals to get things warmed up. Before I forget, I thought I had the perfect spot upthe stairs in the corner in front of right stack. Right in the beginning, I got popped. I got shut down by a security guard. Within 30 seconds, the guy that was in front of me returned. I would bet my mortgage that that #@!^%!^*#! turned me in. I was always taught to be persistant. Within a minute or 2, I found myself on the floor, DFC about 25 feet in front of BB King's chair. It was very hot, very crowded, and very vocal. I realized immediately that the next 2 1/2 hours would be some work. I was behind the tables in front of the stage, and in front of the bar. I probably will show some bruises from getting bumped all night long!
>
> And then the Master himself took the stage. Talk about stage presence, he probably wrote the book! He had a stranglehold on the audience the entire show as he held court telling stories, jokes, and playing the blues. You got goosebumps watching him strap on Lucille! He played many of the standards you would expect such as Bad Case of Love, I Need You, Rock Me Baby, Ain't that Just Like a Woman, How Blue Can You Get, Key to the Highway, and The Thrill is Gone. Just before Thrill, he acknowledged JB and Samuel L. Jackson were in the House. He did a nice cover of Willie Nelson's Night Life. At the end of his set as he customarily does, he invited anyone in the house with an instrument on stage. What ensued next was a killer jam session! On stage were 5 guitarists, 3 keyboardists, 2 saxists, a drummer, a bass player, Ruby Wilson, and the legend himself. They played for about 40 minutes. It was awesome. When I walked out of the club, I felt I got every penny of my money's worth! Here is how it went down:
>
> Preston Shannon
> 7:30-8:10
>
> Ruby Wilson
> 8:30-9:20
>
> BB King
> BB King Blues Club
> Memphis, Tennessee
> 10/3/2005
>
> 9:47
>
> INSTRUMENTAL 8:00
> INSTRUMENTAL> 5:50
> BB KING INTRO AND STORIES 8:42
> EVERYONE WANTS TO KNOW WHY I SING THE BLUES 2:30
> I NEED YOU SO 6:35
> BAD CASE OF LOVE 2:40
> NIGHT LIFE 6:05
> LOVE COMES TO TOWN 9:30
> GOT A GOOD MIND TO GIVE UP LIVING 6:15
> AIN'T THAT JUST LIKE A WOMAN> 11:05
> YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE 4:35
> HOW BLUE CAN YOU GET> 3:42
> KEY TO THE HIGHWAY 3:45
> ROCK ME BABY 4:45
> THE THRILL IS GONE 7:45
> I'LL END MY LIFE TO BE WITH YOU 6:52
> YOU DON'T WANT ME NO MORE WITH BAND INTRODUCTIONS> 10:00
> JAM SESSION 20:36
> EVERY DAY I HAVE THE BLUES 20:40
>
> 12:15 (2:29)
>
> SONIC STUDIOS>D8
>
>
> Panic News:
>
> We were all very deeply saddened last week at the loss of Dino Derose, the sound engineer of our band. I have spoken to Michelle, his wife during the past few days. She is remaining strong but could always use some support. The family is planning a memorial in Cleveland at the end of the week, as that is where Dino was from. She called from Cleveland tonight and there will be a service at 11:00 Saturday, Oct. 8 at St. Williams Church, Euclid. Family will receive friends at THE ORLANDO-DONSANTE FUNERAL HOME, 29550 EUCLID AVE., WICKLIFFE, 2-4 AND 6-9 P.M. FRIDAY.
> Near the end of the tour, after Savannah perhaps, Michelle would like to do a memorial in the south. If you would like to send her any correspondance, it would be very welcomed. Her address is:
>
> Michelle Carter
> 3592 Coveside Court
> Loganville, Georgia 30052
>
> Dino James DeRose
>
> DeROSE DINO JAMES DeROSE, age 49, of Georgia. Beloved son of James and Jean (nee Gambatesa); dearest brother of Cindy, Gina, Ralph and Jim. Loving companion of Michelle Carter and her daughter, Amber. Memorial Mass 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 8 at St. Williams Church, Euclid. Family will receive friends at THE ORLANDO-DONSANTE FUNERAL HOME, 29550 EUCLID AVE., WICKLIFFE, 2-4 AND 6-9 P.M. FRIDAY.
> Published in The Plain Dealer on 10/5/2005.
>
>
> RIP Dino.
>
> Got a good review on the Trey/Rolling Stones show tonight in Charlottesville from Carrington. They had a bomb scare and stopped play for about 45 minutes. Did they mistake Craig's 744 for an explosive device? They played lots of their hits with a few others scattered in. Start Me Up to open, Sweet Virginia, Midnight Rambler, Tumblin' Dice, Sympathy, Satisfaction, Can't Always Get What you Want, etc.
>
> Excellent show according to Mark, the New Riders in Teaneck, N.J. Classic cuts from way back. Henry opener, Garden of Eden, Louisiana Lady, Portland Woman, Panama Red, I Don't Know You, Last Lonely Eagle, Willie and the Hand Jive, Sutter's Mill, What You Gonna Do, Dirty Business, and a Rainy Day Women encore. Very nice, hope to hear a tape, hint, hint.
>
> Myself tonight, just in from seeing the Braves tee off on the Rocket! Hung with Sam and Prosseroo behind home plate! Could it be Clemens's last game?
>
> Late,
> Z-Man
>
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home