Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Widespread Panic St. Louis 5/5/2005

Widespread Panic St. Louis 5/5/2005
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> Sorry for the delay, but roadwork and play keeps you hopping. At about midnite last Wednesday, I pulled the trigger and booked a flight to St. Louis for the next day. The desire was there, but I had to work out logistics for work. I have never been to this Fox and decided that 05/05/05 only happens once in a lifetime, next similar date will be 06/06/06. I called Jerry in St. Louis as he offered a floor ticket and a spot in his home. How can you not go? He picked me up at the airport and got to his house. I met his awesome dog, Rosey, a blonde lab. The most mellow and well behaved dog you will ever want to meet. It was a weekend to meet cool dogs. He had ribs on the smoker since 7:30 a.m., Fat Tire on tap, and, well, what else do you need! While waiting for Rannan and Julie, we played a round of disc golf. Although he beat me, I did score 1 under par.
>
> After Rannan and Julie arrived, we chowed down. They finally pulled me away from the ribs and we headed to the Fox. I was very anxious for this show at a landmark of a venue. What a gorgeous place to see a show! I only wish they could light up the huge colored light fixture during the show for the extra effect. It would have meshed well with Dino's lighting sequences. I moved up a few rows and taped with John Callery. I met his wife Ashley for the first time. Music has been thin since they had the baby. I also got to see the St. Louis crew for the first time since the Dead at Riverport last summer, the show Jeff Frank passed out in the section and rolled down the hill and stayed there until after the end of the show. It was always a treat to see Steve and Mindy Brothers, Matt Klaus, Matt and Rebecca Kinder, John D., etc. Woodard and Leavitt were there as well as Mindy Lu and the Austin taping crew - Pat and Craig.
>
> The boys came on and laid down a potent Pigeons>Pleas that got us going. The C. Brown started with JB singing the first few lines accapella before the band kicked in with todd's drum beat. They were on even though I am not a huge fan of Sleeping Man, Weight, or especially Daisy Mae. I heard my first Time Zones, and I need to revisit that tune. It was a long set by today's standard, clocking in at 1:14:23.
>
> I enjoyed the 2nd set better. The crowd was whipped into a frenzy as they opened the 2nd set with Tall Boy>Tractor. The Second Skin was extremely eerie. Once you hear it, you will listen to it over and over. It came in the middle of the Drivin' sandwich. Kinder thought it was Ball of Confusion and I can see why as they start pretty much the same. My highlight was the Holden>Mr. Fantasy as it raged. Jojo played an Elizabeth Reed tease at the end of Holden that was very pronounced. George nailed the Fantasy! I also got my second Run for your Life. Very nicely done.
>
> After the show, we headed over to the Kinder homestead for a party. That is where I ran into my second Daisy Mae of ther night, Matt and Rebecca's Bull Mastiff. I sat on the love seat, and I got some love! I couldn't get Daisy Mae off of me! It was pretty funny. Back over to Jerry's for a 3 hour nap and ready to meet Woodard for the next day's activities. Before I left, Jerry treated me to some homeade waffles. The secret, vanilla. Here is how it went down:
>
>
> Widespread Panic
> Fox Theatre
> St. Louis, Missouri
> 5/5/05
>
> 7:51
>
> PIGEONS> 9:41
> PLEAS> 10:57
> WHO DO YOU BELONG TO? 4:50
> C. BROWN> 5:53
> STOP BREAKIN' DOWN 6:55
> SLEEPING MAN 8:27
> TIME ZONES> 6:53
> WEIGHT OF THE WORLD> 6:30
> DAISY MAE> 5:31
> FISH20> 4:54
> DRUM SOLO> 1:27
> FISH20 3:40
>
> 9:05 (1:14:23)
>
> 9:42
>
> TALL BOY> 8:54
> LOVE TRACTOR> 5:04
> LITTLE LILLY/JAM> 13:34
> DRIVIN' SONG> 4:40
> SECOND SKIN> 14:31
> THIN AIR> 4:09
> DRUM SOLO> :46
> THIN AIR> 8:17
> DRIVIN' SONG> 2:30
> HOLDEN OVERSOUL> 8:17
> MR. FANTASY> 7:21
> ALL TIME LOW 4:00
>
> 11:03 (2:36:03)
>
> 11:07
>
> RUN FOR YOUR LIFE 3:45
> AIN'T LIFE GRAND 4:28
>
> 11:15 (2:44:35)
>
> SCHOEPS MK5>CMC6>NAGRA V>DAP1 48K
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC
>
> Late,
> Z-Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home