Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

NRPS Cleveland 12/7/2005

Hey Y'All,

I realize it has been a while but Bellsouth wiped out my addy book with over 675 names! They have been telling me for 6 weeks they are trying to re-cover it. Here is a post to the few I have put back in the system. It is only about 30% of the list I had. If I have mispelled anyone, let me know. Please forward to anyone you know I had on my original list and have them send me a very short email so I can get them back on. I owe lots of reviews but this one is pretty fresh. I had a chance to see Hot Tuna about 3 hours south of here but opted for my first NRPS show since 1988. I have seen Tuna a few times this year and will see them at Warren's X-Mas jam. They played a short run last month and my buddy Mark said it was great. I had been to work since 4 am doing a catering. At about 5:00, I went solo as tim wussed out on me. I got to Wilbert's at about 7:30. As I got out of the car, I heard Sutter's Mill. I thought, oh shit, I am late. I hussled in and began to get hooked up. Toast, one of the managers, informed me they just did the soundcheck, phew. He gave me the soundboard patch. I saw Jesse already set up with his AKG's dead center. After I finished my connections, the usual suspects began rolling in, Matt, Terry, and Steve. Always good to see familiar faces at a show anywhere in the country! Learning from my last "field trip" to Wilbert's to see the Tricksters, I came hungry. The food is awesome there with a very creative menu. I opted for the seared Ahi Tuna and Mango Salad with a cilantro lime dressing. Yum! I was very excited as they took the stage. The last time I saw Buddy Cage was when he played with Vassar and the Zen Tricksters at Tribecca Blues in NYC a couple of years ago. I reminisced with him. I said hey to Michael Falzarano who I have met over the years with Hot Tuna. I said hey to Ron, whom I met when he was in the JGB and also saw him in Vegas the end of October.

They opened up with Panama Red. Always good to see this Rowan nugget. Song after song was like seeing another favorite oldie. It brought back memories of some of those mid seventies shows we got to see. I recognized every song. The highlight of the 1st set had to be the 18 minute Dirty Biz! The Garden of Eden stretched out very nicely.I did miss Marmaduke, but Falzarano and Ron took the helm on vocals nicely. At one point, Nelson made reference to Dawson being in Mexico and telling him to go get 'em. Cage made that pedal steel sing!

The second set was also great. Portland Woman has always been one of my favorites and tonite, it segued into Willie and the Hand Jive. A nice 29 minutes to kick off the set! I was also immersed in the Last Lonely Eagle and Louisiana Lady. After hearing calls for Henry all night, Nelson said this is as good a time as any. To the crowds delight, they sprung it on us. This set clocked in at over 1 hour and 22 minutes. Unfortunately there was no encore. Well worht the $18.00 cover charge. If they are in your area (Carrington, Craig, and Kristen), do not think twice, GO! I made some new friends at the show, Toast, Luke and Ann, and Mark. With some editing, it should fit on 2 discs.

During the show, I was in touch with Charles, Mindie, and Frank at Outformation, and Stacey at Waylandsphere. We were all taping simultaneously!

Here is how it went down:

New Riders of the Purple Sage
Wilbert's
Cleveland, Ohio
12/7/2005

9:35

PANAMA RED 4:37
LONESOME L.A. COWBOY 5:51
RAINBOW 4:58
WHISKEY 4:41
GARDEN OF EDEN 11:59
CONTRACT 4:01
TRUCK DRIVIN' MAN 7:07
DIRTY BUSINESS 18:25
WHATCHA GONNA DO 3:44
RUNNIN' BACK TO YOU 6:56
DEAD FLOWERS 5:15

10:56 (1:22:10)

11:30

PORTLAND WOMAN> 15:55
WILLIE AND THE HAND JIVE 13:30
I DON'T KNOW YOU 4:43
GROUPIE 3:32
LAST LONELY EAGLE 6:19
LOUISIANA LADY 4:51
HENRY 5:23
SUTTER'S MILL 4:14
TAKE A LETTER MARIA 8:31
DIM LIGHTS, THICK SMOKE 6:27
RAINY DAY WOMEN 8:50

12:52 (1:22:27)

Soundboard>DAP1>Sound Devices 722

I am still in need of 2 floor tickets for both Philips Arena Panic show if anyone knows of any. And of course I still need a Roxy ticket for myself if anyone wants to sell me one for Channukah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home