Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Los Lobos San Francisco 3/25/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> Like they say, "Make Hay While the Sun Shines". So here we are in California, why not catch a show on the road? Geoff and I hit the JCC for a game of hoops, that our team won, and a few laps in the pool. Then it was on to the Slanted Door for a Luncheon for seven of us. I left Mill Valley about 6:30 so I could get there to set up when the doors opened. I was looking forward to this venue as it was the old Avalon Ballroom where the Dead and Airplane and other great bands used to play. As I looked around when I got in, I could only imagine Pig Pen belting out a Lovelight to the crowd of 1968 Deadheads! As I walked in, I went over to where 2 guys were setting up by the soundboard. I couldn't believe my eyes, it was Brian Lee from Indy! My first thought was why the hell is he settling for taping in the back. I though Rannin and I taught him better than that! It was easy to convince him to come up front. My new friend Randy was all set up and was going to stay put so he could relax and check out the venue without worrying about his gear. My next huge surprise was seeing Steve Brown in the house. I haven't seen him since Leftover Salmon in April of 1997 at the Fillmore! As I learned from him, he has purchased a 744 and a great array of Schoeps! Next time bring your toys! Some of my posse began to arrive, as we planned to meet up. Larry, Mark and Donna, were first to arrive for Soulive. Chris, my wife, arrived with Geoff and Diana. Then came Mozambique! It was a blast seeing some old friends 2,500 miles from home! Tommo again was a no show.
>
> Soulive opened up at about 8:30. Peter, Soulive's sound engineer was doing his best to make the room sound good. I was not crazy about the sound for either band, and that is a reflection of just how the room is. It is tough to dial in. After a long Vapor and a She's Hooked, Reggie Watts joined in on vocals for a What Can You Do. After I Know You Got Soul, they ended with a clever cover of The Ocean. It was a nice treat.
>
> After about a 40 minute stage change out, Los Lobos took the stage. They opened up with a Mas y Mas. I enjoyed the Neighborhood and Whiskey Trail. They closed the set by dedicating a song, Good Morning Aztlan, to recently departed Buck Owens. At that point, 57 minutes into the set, I figured it was set break. Wrong, we just got a very short show! I usually say quality, not quantity, but this time I felt like I was short changed. I liked how they played but it was way too short. They came out for the 9 minute encore, and that was all she wrote. My shortest Lobos show evahhh!
>
> Security decided to pick on me and gave me a "warning" during the show. After the show, about 8 of us were outside the venue on the sidewalk and security decided to come out and hassel us. They told us to clear the sidewalk. What a crock. Geoff told them we were waiting for the Van Ness bus as we were next to the bus stop sign! So, four nights Goin' Out West where the winds blow strong, 3 shows and an NCAA Regional Double Header.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Soulive
> The Grand
> San Francisco, California
> 3/25/2006
>
> 8:30
>
> Intro> 1:52
> Uncle Junior 9:41
> Vapor 11:32
> She's Hooked 7:55
> *What Can You Do 6:05
> *Don't Tell Me 4:35
> Lenny 8:47
> Reverb 9:33
> I Know You Got Soul 5:10
> *The Ocean
>
> 9:39
>
> *With Reggie Watts
>
> Schoeps MK4'S>CMC6>Sound Devices 722
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC!
>
> Los Lobos
> The Grand
> San Francisco, California
> 3/25/2006
>
> 10:20
>
> Mas Y Mas 5:55
> Maria Christina 3:30
> Luz De Mi Vida 4:50
> Done Gone Blue
> The Neighborhood 8:40
> Maricela 4:23
> Whiskey Trail 3:14
> Is This All There Is? 5:14 (old version)
> Don't Worry Baby 3:34
> Kiko And The Lavender Moon 4:25
> I Got Loaded 4:47
> Good Morning Aztlan 4:20 (dedicated to Buck Owens, RIP)
>
> 11:17
>
> 11:19
> Cumbia Raza>
> Drum Solo>
> Cumba Raza 6:28
> Marie Marie (without Cesar) 3:20
>
> 11:28
>
> Schoeps MK4'S>CMC6>Sound Devices 722
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC!
>
>

26 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home