Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Norton Buffalo Mill Valley 3/24/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> I made it out west with Chris, my wife. She had a conference in San Francisco that she was presenting at, and asked me a couple of months ago if I would join her. Let's see, a chance to see great friends, great food, great scenery, one of my favorite cities in the world, and my thinking was, hopefully a show or two. Hmm.....sounds like a recipe for some fun, HELL YEAH! We stayed at the Benedikt Bed and Breakfast in Mill Valley where we were treated to wonderful accomodations by the Inn Keeper Diana, and her assistant, Bunny. Hopefully next trip the hot tub will be working. I spoke with Larry a day before leaving and we planted a seed to see the Oakland Region of the Men's NCAA. Now it was Thursday, and the day before the Norton Buffalo show in Mill Valley. Well, I dropped Chris at the San Francisco Hilton and began my grazing by stopping at Gourmet Dim Sum & Cafe, Vietnam Too, Them Ky, and Go Go Cafe Dim Sum. There were 2 other stops on Clement Street, making a total of 6 restaurants in just under an hour! Remember, some people eat to live, but I live to eat! And what better city to suit my tastes and needs.
>
> I headed back to Marin to get Diana and hit the Marin Farmers Market. We picked up some killer strawberries, oranges, and potatoes. The Salmon Candy was exquisite! I dropped Diana off and headed to the Richmond Bridge to get Larry in Berkeley and head to the Oakland Coliseum. In about 40 minutes, I secured 3 seats at face value for us, including Kenny. We scammed down to 2 folding chairs at the bottom of the 200 section, next to an entire Gonzaga section. For 39 minutes and 50 seconds, their fans were very loud and excited, for good reason. They were up by as much as 15 most of the game. Then, they CHOKED! They let UCLA score the last 11 points of the ballgame. They froze up. Their coach burned up all their time outs for no good reason. UCLA did not win, Gonzaga lost. I had UCLA in my pool picks. Nice seeing Bill Walton at the game. Haven't seen him here since the Dead in 1993 at the Shoreline.
>
> FRIDAY:
>
> After a delicious Italian dinner at La Genestra, with Geoff and Diana, we strolled over to the 142 Throckmorton Theatre. Dinner consisted of Veal Picatta, Veal Parmesan, Linguini with Clam Sauce, and a killer Garlic/Tomato Pizza. The prices were very reasonable and the portions very good.
>
> La Ginestra is one of Mill Valley's old time favorites; it's been around for over 30 years, and generations of families swear by it. The decor is sparse and traditional: linoleum floors, a few booths, and simple place settings. There's an entire section of the menu devoted solely to veal, but La Ginestra is known really for its traditional pizzas. Pasta lovers will enjoy the linguine with clams, garlic and white wine. If you try out La Ginestra, you'll find a place that serves up an Italian cuisine. Expect the average entrée to cost $12 to $20, and dress casual.
>
> I contacted Norton via email to ask permission about taping about two weeks prior to our trip. He personally emailed me and was very gracious and thanked me for asking. Her told me to stop by at the show so we could meet. I was with George aka Commander Cody almost two weeks ago and he said I would definitely enjoy the show. Norton played with the Lost Planet Airmen back in the mid 1970's. I have seen him several times with the Steve Miller Band as well.
>
> I went over after we ordered our dinner and spoke with David at the door. I did not have a VIP early admission, but, I talked my way into getting in early to set up in the front row of the balcony. Danny, the owner, had me sign a waiver as to not use the recording for any sale. No problem. I was psyched as the theatre was awesome! The sound was great to say the least. Norton came on with his "Friends" at about 8:00. It was a super laid back atmoshere for the acoustic set. He had his wife Lisa on guitar, Owen on Congas, David on Guitar, and on Bass Guitar. He told stories in between songs, giving us a few history lessons. His uncle, actually won an academy award for the music score in the Wizard of Oz. I believe we have all seen that movie at least once in our lives! That was just before the Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I enjoyed the upbeat Wild and Windy Road. The Jackamoe that followed this was a nice "grassy" tune. On a couple of tunes, the conga player and bassist left the stage and the remaining trio entertained.
>
> After a short break where I actually got to meet Norton and speak with him, it was back to business with his band, the Knockouts. He had the same band with the addition of Austin Delone on Keyboards, Gary on Drums, and Johnny "V" on guitar. This set was electric. I enjoyed this lineup as Lisa and Owen would sit out on a couple of songs. Sweet Little Pumpkin, King of the Highway, and Ain't No Bread in the Breadbox were very well received. Norton told us the story of how Garcia liked the song "Breadbox", but his versions were 15-17 minutes long. Well, his version with the drum solo in the middle, clocked in at almost 15 minutes. See Norton, it just has to be a longer song! Folks, if you ever get the chance to see a show here, especially Norton, definitely go!
>
> After the show, I packed up expeditiously and high tailed it across the street to the Sweetwater to the sold out Mother Hips show. It was a monsoon out there! It must have rained 3-4 inches that night accompanied by very high winds. Kevmo got me into the joint. I was a bit cooked when I saw the packed floor and the band on stage tuning up. I did not have the energy to fly solo in the middle of this rabid crowd with no space or time to get set up. Kevmo got permission for me to run the board from both the band and the owner, Go Kevmo! I thanked him outside in his "office" later on. The question for me is what happened to him after my office visit? I think he hit the wall! We spent 4 glorious nights at the Fox for the last Leftover Salmon NYE run in 2004. I hit record and never missed a beat. So, I was rolling 23 minutes after the last note over at the Throckmorton Theatre, not too shabby! These guys are from Chico and have quite a Cali following. I made a few friends and had a few good brews. I spoke with David near the end of the show to find out I saw their entire show. I thought that the two hour set was their second set. apparently, there were 2 warm up bands. They play a nice blend of very good bar room music. They had a nice country rock sound similar to the NRPS, Especially on their cover of Workingman's Blues. The Bent Carousel>Figure 11 took us for a very nice long ride to end the long set. I especially liked the Cowgirl in the Sand encore! Lots of nice Grunge from the guitars! Alan does a nice job on sound at the Sweetwater. I was surprised not to see Tommo at either show since I heard he rarley misses any good shows in the Bay Area.
>
> Here is how it all went down:
>
> Norton Buffalo
> 142 Throckmorton Theatre
> Mill Valley, California
> 3/24/2006
>
> Norton and Friends - Acoustic
>
> 8:03
>
> BUFFALO SOMBOSA 6:45
> BAND INTRODUCTIONS :50
> WHEN THEY TALK LIKE THAT 5:23
> WILD AND WINDY ROAD 7:00
> JACKAMOE 4:55
> WATCHIN' MY CHILDREN GROW 6:02
> SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW 7:40
> LONG HARD ROAD 7:00
> *GET BACK THE FEELING 5:09
> IF SHE TAKES THAT TRAIN> 3:30
> DRUM SOLO> :40
> IF SHE TAKES THAT TRAIN 5:
>
> 9:04
>
> *with Austin Delone on Accordian
>
> Norton and the Knockouts
>
> 9:34
>
> INSTRUMENTAL 7:15
> SWEET LITTLE PUMPKIN 8:01
> I WANT TO GET TO KNOW YOU 9:05
> KING OF THE HIGHWAY 13:15
> ? 9:45
> SAVE ME A PIECE OF YOU 3:49
> ONE MORE TIME? 9:55
> AIN'T NO BREAD IN THE BREADBOX> 8:45
> DRUM SOLO> 1:10
> AIN'T NO BREAD IN THE BREADBOX 4:30
>
> 10:48
>
> 10:50
>
> NORTON TELLS A STORY 2:10
> TENDER HEART 6:
>
> 10:58
>
> Schoeps MK4'S>CMC6>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC Front Row of Balcony!
>
>
>
> Mother Hips
> The Sweetwater
> Mill Valley, California
> 3/25/2006
>
> 11:21
>
> GROW POPPY 6:17
> EVERY STORY WE COULD TELL 4:20
> NIGHTMARES
> IT TAKES TWO 12:12
> ? 3:45
> YOU DID WHAT YOU DID 4:43
> PLEASURE 3:15
> HOMEWARD BOUND 4:40
> SHINES ON YOU 4:50
> WHISKEY ON THE SOUTHBOUND 2:54
> WORKINGMAN'S BLUES 3:36
> THIS IS THE SOUND 5:47
> CHANNEL ISLAND GIRL 4:55
> ? 4:38
> RICH LITTLE GIRL 3:20
> ? 4:45
> ? 4:32
> BENT CAROUSEL> 10:07
> FIGURE 11 12:00
>
> 12:59
>
> 1:04
>
> COWGIRL IN THE SAND 11:10
>
> 1:14
>
> SOUNDBOARD>SOUND DEVICES 722 24-96
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home