Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Jazz is Dead Detroit 3/14/2006

Jazz is Dead Detroit 3/14/2006
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> It had been close to 68 hours since my last notes of live music and Jazz is Dead was playing about 90 minutes north of here, so...... Lot's of weird things were happening tonight. As I was about to leave, I was looking under the passenger seat of the Jeep. I found a piece of paper and opened it. There were the directions I used on 2/23/2006 to go to the MAJESTIC THEATRE! What a coincidence! I stopped by to get Tim's mic holders and I got up there about 7:00 for what was listed as an 8 show. DOORS were at 8. It was supposed to be at the Majestic Theatre, but I figured they didn't sell nearly enough tickets, so they moved it to the Magic Stick. This place is upstairs over a bowling alley. When the music was playing, you couldn't hear a pin drop! There are pool tables as almost half the place is a pool hall. You can hear the billiard balls when someone breaks the rack. I wandered in hoping to hook up with Jeff Sipe as I heard they were travelling with 2 drummers. There was an opener doing soundcheck, Swing Low, that sounded and looked familiar. It was a band from Ypsalanti, Rootstand, who I have seen before and enjoyed. They are a grassy-raggae-roots band. As I was killing time, I walked over to their little merchandise table. Their sign up sheet was sitting there. I looked at the list and the last person to sign it was none other than Chard Rader! I scribbled my name next and called Chard. He was very surprised as well by this coincidence!
>
> I listened to their soundcheck and picked out the sweet spot in the room. It was 22' from the stage, DFC.I met another taper, Kevin, and convinced him not to tape towards the back. Regardless, I knew where I would be. I have only seen Rootstand a couple of times but enjoyed both shows. I spoke to the banjo player and said they ought to start early as several people were in the house. He agreed and they started 11 minutes early, opening with a River Blues. My favorite part of the set was the Hard Times> Chad's Polka. I called it raggae meets polka. The A Minor Medley included a version of the Thrill is Gone. They closed the 51 minute set with Redemption Day. I would definately reccomend seeing these guys.
>
> I had a chance to visit with Sipe before Jazz is Dead took the stage. They were promoted to be playing the Blues for Allah album. I have not seen them in a few years. The current line-up for Jazz Is Dead features guitarist Jeff Pevar, keyboard player T. Lavitz, drummers Rod Morgenstein and Jeff Sipe, and bass player Dave Livolsi.
>
> T. Lavitz started solo with a nice a Friend of the Devil. The other guys joined him by the start of Tennessee Jed. He left the stage after everyone else joined him. The Attics of My Life was long and a ways out there. My first high light was the great rendition of Morning Dew. Jeff Pevar showed some solid chops on this one. I remember the 6 night Phil and Friends run I did at the Beacon in April 1999. He was past of that lineup and I really enjoyed those shows. After Scarlet Begonias, it was time to do the Blues for Allah portion of the show. Believe it or not, I thought the King Solomon's Marbles and the Crazy Fingers were the 2 best songs of this segment. At the end of The Music Never Stopped, Pevar played a very nice Eleven jam. Blues for Allah ended the long set. The boys came back out for a Truckin' encore. Nice hangin' with my newest friends, Kevin and Steady! Where were Tom and Christina T., Rob R., Matt K., Brando, etc....?
>
> After the show, I visited back stage and hung out for about an hour. I thanked everybody and headed out into the late night. It was almost ritual to stop by the MGM to "earn" the cost of my ticket. I sat down at a $10.00 blackjack table. I dropped $45.00 in 4 straight losing hands. My luck started to change, and In 14 minutes, I walked out with $40.00 more than I entered with. Got in at about 3:45. After a 3 hour nap, it was time to go to work. (Couldn't have been asleep for more than 3 hours, time to go to work again!)
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Rootstand
> Magic Stick
> Detroit, Michigan
> 3/14/2006
>
> 8:49
>
> RIVER BLUES 9:18
> BRIAN'S BREAKDOWN 7:18
> BASEHEAD 4:29
> RICH'S GROOVE>
> I KNOW YOU RIDER 6:10
> HARD TIMES>
> CHAD'S POLKA 9:42
> A MINOR MEDLEY (Including the Thrill is Gone) 12:58
> REDEMPTION DAY 3:20
>
> 9:41
>
> Schoeps MK4'S>CMC6>Sound Devices 722
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 22' FROM STAGE
>
>
> Jazz Is Dead
> Majic Stick
> Detroit, Michigan
> 3/14/2006
>
> 10:23
>
> *FRIEND OF THE DEVIL> 3:09
> #TENNESSEE JED> 3:42
> DRUM SOLO> 1:00
> #TENNESSEE JED 5:33
> ATTICS OF MY LIFE 10:50
> CHINA-CAT SUNFLOWER> 5:32
> I KNOW YOU RIDER> 2:20
> MORNING DEW> 10:38
> @SCARLET BEGONIAS> 8:20
> @DRUM SOLO> 2:10
> @SCARLET BEGONIAS :35
> @JAM> 3:53
> @HELP ON THE WAY> 4:20
> @SLIPKNOT!> 7:26
> @FRANKLIN'S TOWER 4:56
> @KING SOLOMON'S MARBLES 10:31
> @THE MUSIC NEVER STOPPED> 9:40
> @THE ELEVEN JAM> 1:50
> @CRAZY FINGERS 11:26
> @SAGE AND SPIRIT>
> @BLUES FOR ALLAH> 8:13
> @DRUM SOLO> 6:30
> @JAM> 1:30
> @BLUES FOR ALLAH>
> @SAGE AND SPIRIT 3:10
>
> 12:36
>
> 12:38
>
> @TRUCKIN' 10:50
>
> 12:49
>
> *T. Lavitz solo
> #No T. Lavitz
> @Rod Morgenstein on drums also
>
> Schoeps MK4'S>CMC6>Sound Devices 722
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 22' FROM STAGE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home