Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Railroad Earth Cleveland 3/2/2006

Railroad Earth Cleveland 3/2/2006
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> First of all, thank you all for the Birthday wishes as I survived my 50th Birthday. I do have a confession to make, I joined AARP today! Why not reap some of the benefits or maturation! I can save on hotels when we are on tour! Well, being my birthday and not having seen any live music in 5 days, what would you do? I met my good buddy Tim in Toledo and headed East to Cleveland. I already had this one pegged on my calendar. It was off to the Beachland Ballroom to check out the Hackensaw Boys and Railroad Earth. We got there and met Melissa. After I set my gear up 20 feet from the stage, we ordered some wraps for dinner. Thanks you Melissa for buying my birthday dinner! Jimmy from the Hackensaw Boys approached me and asked if I could hook him up with a recording of the show. Of course I was happy to ablige. After we got done eating, it was show time. There were only 3 of us taping the evening's event.
>
> These guys are from Virginia, Richmond and Charlottesville. They have their own unique style and sound. They got things rollin' with a Kelly's Reel. Melissa correctly noted that their guitarist was not the same. He was filling in. Big Audio Mike did a fine job running the sound for the Boys. I enjoyed the Dance Around>Blue-Eyed Girl. These guys do a very good job with the Gospel end of the spectrum. One of them, the percussionist, plays a Karismo Gizmo, that he actually made himself. Very different, my first time seeing this instrument. I enjoyed the Get You Some as that was a very lively tune. After the Mecklinberg County, the Boys abandoned their amps and mics. They came up to the front of the stage and did 2 purely acoustic numbers, Cannonball and John Henry. As always, you have your yahoos that won't shut up. An enjoyable 53 minute set.
>
> I talked Peter into moving his gear up front. It was not overly crowded and there was plenty of room for him. I hadn't seen him since a show at the Michigan Theatre a couple of years back. Tim and I headed downstairs to take care of the Boys. I ran into Tim from Railroad Earth and requested my favorite tune Seven Story Mountain for my 50th. They just did it last night so I was not laying good odds on hearing it. We did put a hurt on the Boys before heading back up for RRE!
>
> After a 26 minute break, it was showtime. A nice combo opener of Something About Mollie>Dandelion Wine got the crowd into the swing of things. They did play acouple of their slower paced songs, but got things kicking with a smoking Mountain Time. An extended Bluegrass Breakdown followed. Always enjoy hearing the old NRPS Duncan and Brady.They closed with a long Head. Funny, but Chris texted me from the moe show from Charlotte and they played their version of Head to close the 1st set. Talk about wavelength. It was hard to believe that they completed their set. I was thinking that this was too short. I was expecting a longer set, at least closer to 2 hours. They came back for a Magic Foot. Next, to my surprise, Todd addressed the crowd with "I was handed a piece of paper with this is my ONLY 50th Birthday, from the Z-Man. Happy 50th birthday Z-Man, this one is for you"! I felt like a little kid when my folks handed me a Channukah present! I was very excited as I actually forgot about my request. And they DELIVERED with an excellent version of Seven Story Mountain. After I packed up everything, I wanted to go downstairs with Tim to thank the RRE guys. I did just that and again, we showed our gratitude as we "adjusted" everyone's mood. Small world, but their soundman Mike is from Atlanta and knows all the good folks at Smith's Olde Bar! We traded a few stories and it was time to go.
>
> Nice hangin' with Tim, Melissa, Mike, Peter, Chopper and the rest of the crowd. Easy to move around and go up to the stage at random. Back in around 3:00 am for a 3 hour nap before heading to work. I got my report from my good friend Mark in Austin on the ride back. He saw Bromberg solo acoustic and said it was the Shizzle! He closed with a killah Sharon!
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Hackensaw Boys
> Beachland Ballroom
> Cleveland, Ohio
> 3/2/2006
>
> 8:22
>
> KELLY'S REEL 3:58
> LOOKOUT DOG 3:50
> DANCE AROUND> 2:18
> BLUE-EYED GIRL 2:06
> KEEP IT SIMPLE 3:30
> JONAH 3:00
> THE GOSPEL PLOW 3:31
> BORDER TOWN 4:26
> RUBY PEARL 2:32
> WE ARE MANY 3:05
> GET YOU SOME 2:02
> NASHVILLE 3:24
> MINER 5:29
> MECKLINBERG COUNTY 4:50
> *CANNONBALL
> *JOHN HENRY
>
> 9:15
>
> *Acoustic
>
> Schoeps MK4'S>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 21 Feet from Stage
>
> Railroad Earth
> Beachland Ballroom
> Cleveland, Ohio
> 3/2/2006
>
> 9:41
>
> SOMETHING ABOUT MOLLIE> 3:40
> DANDELION WINE 4:48
> ELKO 10:20
> DOVER TO DUNKIRK 7:45
> JOHN'S JIG> 4:30
> SAILIN' LIKE A BUDDAH 8:50
> HUNTING SONG> 11:30
> MOUNTAIN TIME 10:15
> BLUEGRASS BREAKDOWN 8:05
> DUNCAN AND BRADY 4:55
> HEAD 15:45
>
> 11:12
>
> 11:14
>
> MAGIC FOOT 4:06
> SEVEN STORY MOUNTAIN 13:50
>
> 11:32
>
> Schoeps MK4'S>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 21 Feet from Stage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home