Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Galactic Ann Arbor 4/1/2006 Nate & Kate Parents



>
> Hey Y'All,

LET'S WELCOME THE NEXT SPREADHEAD INTO THE WORLD, WHEN LITTLE WRANGLER WAS BORN!!!!!

NATE AND KATE ARE AT THE HOSPITAL, COULD THIS BE THE DAY?
YES, A BABY BOY AT 12:00 NOON! SEVEN POUNDS AND 15 OUNCES! NATE AND KATE ARE NOW FOB (Front of Baby)!
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>
> After getting in around 5:00 am from Cleveland on Friday, the game plan was to get about 3 hours of sleep, work all day, and head up to Ann Arbor for the Galactic show at the Michigan Theatre. I stopped at Whole Foods for a quick feeding and made it to the Theatre about 6:20. I was greeted by Sam, as I walked up to the marquee. He heard Brian had some extras to sell. Brian and Ed showed up in the next few minutes and sure enough, I bought a pair in the 4th row for Tim and I. Today was April 1st, the annual Hash Bash in Ann Arbor. I think this is my 3rd time here in the past 5-6 years. Festivities began at noon. Unfortunately, security on the inside does not celebrate this "holiday" as I watched 4 people get tossed from the venue. As I began to set up, I traded our 2 tickets with a couple in the ninth row. I was now where I wanted to be for recording. Brian, Ed, and Aaron set up in the second row. Sam was a few rows behind me to the right.
>
> I ran for the opener, the Gamble Brothers. I was all alone as the row in front of me was empty. I was surprised as I enjoyed their set. They are from Memphis and a bit funky. They are comprised of keyboards, bass, sax, and drums. They played a couple of their newer tunes. Near the end of their 41 minute set, they invited Jeff from Galactic to play guitar for a nice version of I'm a Ram. At the end of the set, Tom and Christina showed up in the row in front of me. He traded over a couple of seats and clamped on to my stand.
>
> As Galactic took the stage, we were ready to get funked away. I figured they would play 1 long set as when I see shows in this theatre, they usually are over by 11:00. Wrong again, as Galactic took a break after a 57 minute set. Near the end of the set, Art from Galactic sat in for Hot Pants Road. He was joined by Al Gamble on vocals and B3 for the next song, Love Having You. They closed out the set with a killer Garbage Truck.
>
> After a 34 minute break, they took the stage and opened with Moil. Again, near the end of the set, they invited Art back up on sax. Very funky! The encore was dedicated to their city of New Orleans as they blazed through Zeppelin's When the Levee Breaks! I was hoping to hear this one as I saw it on a couple of set lists. John Hardy did his usual great job on sound. Nice seeing Steady and Jade. Can anyone outdance them? Jeff K. showed up so I figured the Ark must have been closed. I was in a hurry to break down and head out the door. I will have to fill in the 2nd set setlist in the next transmission.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> The Gamble Brothers
> Michigan Theatre
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 4/1/2006
>
> 7:33
>
> ? 5:40
> MISSISSIPPI 5:40
> ?> 5:17
> ? 5:54
> ? 3:35
> ? NEW SONG 3:35
> PUT YOU RIGHT OUT OF MY MIND 3:57
> IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION 3:32
> *I'M A RAM 4:27
> WHAT'S WRONG 5:09
>
> 8:14
>
> *With Jeff from Galactic on Guitar
>
> SCHOEPS MK4'S>CMC6>SOUND DEVICES 722 24-96
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 9TH ROW
>
> Galactic
> Michigan Theatre
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 4/1/2006
>
> 8:47
>
> BLACKBIRD SPECIAL 7:30
> SPIDER BITE 5:27
> GO GO 6:24
> TIGER ROLL 9:56
> SPACE HEADZ 6:20
> *HOT PANTS ROAD 8:47
> *#LOVE HAVING YOU 4:54
> GARBAGE TRUCK 7:50
>
> 9:44
>
> 10:18
>
> MOIL 7:33
> ? 7:47
> ?> 7:22
> ? 6:37
> ? 5:02
> *?
> *? 21:35
> ? 9:13
>
> 11:21
>
> 11:23
>
> WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS 6:26
>
> 11:29
>
> *With Art on Sax
> #With Al Gamble on B3 and Vocals
>
> SCHOEPS MK4'S>CMC6>SOUND DEVICES 722 24-96
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 9TH ROW
>
>
> PART II
>
> After breaking down after the show, I met Tim out front. I got in the Jeep and headed over to the Blind Pig, as I heard Smokestack was headlining. I found this out at the Galactic show. I found a parking spot, walked 2 blocks, and headed inside. I set up as quickly as possible as they were about to start. I had 2 minutes to spare as they took the stage. So, in 30 minutes from the last note of Galactic, I was recording at the Pig. I met Dave who was also set up just in front of the board. He has archived many of their shows and helped produce one of their cds. I ran into Sahadi, who I met at the Smokestack show a couple of weeks back. Steady and Jade, along with many others, made the scene after the Galactic show. The place was about 2/3 full. The Pig is always hot and smoky, and tonight was no exception. Started at about midnight, we expected one 2 hour set and that is what we got. The opening pair of Already Know>Dreams worked very well. I saw my first cover of the Ballad of John and Yoko. We saw a new one, While You Break. I enjoyed the Steely Dan cover of Green Earrings. Near the completion of End of the Beginning as it mellowed out, I told Buddy, their lightman, that this would be a perfect spot for Low Spark. He looked at me funny and said, how did you know? He then showed me the setlist and there it was. He said they do not do this one often. That closed the set. As I was breaking down, James the keyboard player came over and thanked me for taping the show. We talked for a few minutes as he remembered seeing me in the middle of the floor taping by myself a couple of weeks back. He is a Panic fan. They cover Tall Boy at some of their shows. With the time change, it was almost 3:30 as I headed over to the NY Pizza Depot. The line was at least 20 people, so, it was back down I-23 to Ohio. I spoke to several wasted folks in Richmond at the Team Richmond Backyard BBQ. It made interesting driving conversation to say the least! Here is how it went down:
>
> Smokestack
> Blind Pig
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 4/1/2006
>
> 11:59
>
> ALREADY KNOW> 13:38
> DREAMS WE DREAM 9:27
> RATS BEING CHASED BY RATS 8:53
> BALLAD OF JOHN AND YOKO 6:15
> TEAM TOWN 12:46
> WHILE YOU BREAK 9:05
> MAKE BELIEVE 12:20
> TIRED MIND 9:18
> B-MACS>
> GREEN EARRINGS> 7:49
> WHY DID YOU DO ME WRONG 7:32
> END OF THE BEGINNING> 14:40
> LOW SPARK OF HIGH-HEELED BOYS 8:55
>
> 2:00
>
> SCHOEPS MK4'S>CMC6>SOUND DEVICES 722 24-96
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 25' from Stage
>
>
>
> NATE AND KATE ARE AT THE HOSPITAL, COULD THIS BE THE DAY?
> YES, A BABY BOY AT 12:00 NOON! SEVEN POUNDS AND 15 OUNCES! NATE AND KATE ARE NOW FOB (Front of Baby)!
> CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>
> My friend John has a pair of tix for Dylan in Memphis at face value for April. Let me know if you need them.
>
> Late,
> Z-Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home