Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Widespread Panic 5/6/05 Louisville

Hey Y'All,
>
> Where do I start after saying excuse the delay? Drove from St. Louis with Tracy Woodard and Eric Leavitt in the rental car with NY plates, made me feel at right at home! Nice day for a drive in this part of the midwest. Arrived at the Mohlman plantation around 4:20, good timing. I played the St. Louis disced I burned during the ride much to Jeff Frank's chagrin as he can't stand any Schoeps source (help me Hubie!). He was glued to his laptop when we arrived. We all caravanned down to the Palace.
>
> A great night at the Palace, a treasure of a theatre to see a show! We ran into the Austin taping crew as they had 4 seats in the middle FOB. Jeff, Ernie, and I set up directly behind them, and of course my son Nate who was fashionably late. We set up and began rolling tape. There were some opening call to the races due to the Derby the next day. The first set started of the gate hot with a Conrad. George is all over it now. I used my Garrity flashlight for the Doreatha as I spotlighted Nate and his "I was seen dancin' to Doreatha t-shirt"! Action Man had to be played for the Derby. I have gotten to like this more and more as it gets the crowd geeked as well as any song as of late. The rest was good, but never pushed me over the edge. No jams out of the first 5 songs. Seeing Mercy and Worry in the same set is always a great sign of things to come. If it ain't broke, don't screw with success. Why slip a Big Bust between these two songs? The set was long, clocking in at 1:17:01, my longest of the tour.
>
> The second set was as good as anyone could hope for! Legba>Wrangler stoked the crowd. I got my favorite, Diner and a nice 17 minute one to boot. It was the best JB rap at the end as well! Even though everyone got slowed down for the X-mas Katie, the end rocked. Of course everyone including myself wanted to hear the Dirty Biz, but what can you do. I wonder how many other people at these shows besides myself got to see the NRPS do this one in the 70's? And then, the Katie led into a MAGGOT>CONTENTMENT!!! Melting moment for sure. I like my chicken, and tonight was no exception. My last Maggot was the one at the Greek with Carlos, 10/2001. My first George Contentment. He handled the pair very nicely! Tim Markum came by for a visit and I guess the fact that he is finishing law school very shortly made the Lawyers, Guns, and Money an appropriate encore! Warren Zevon, RIP.
>
> Why is it that the six seats we squatted, were never claimed? I don't get it. With a four seat limit on tickets, I would have thought some of the ticket owners would show up. Karma?
>
> Fun hangin' with Craig, Thea, and Pat from Austin, Mr. Home Team - Mean Gene, Jeff, Jeff M., Todd, Brut, Jess and Jason Mohlman, Mike and Jen, Ernie, Nate, Will, John D., Tim S and Tim M., Will, Fred R., and countless others. Ernie was raging after he spent the last 48 days studying for his "test". Nice night to pick to party. It was a real treat seeing Gene there as he was doing the Derby the next day with both Jeffs.
>
> After the show, it was off to Ramsi's with my Louisville connection - Patrick and Eddie! What a feast. Then over to Patricks where I met his 100 pound dog, Houser! Again, another dog couldn't stay away from me. As soon as I laid down, he jumps on top of me on the couch and wouldn't leave me alone! I figured that maybe they will play a Dog Song on Saturday in Asheville! Here is how it went down:
>
> Widespread Panic
> Palace Theatre
> Louisville, Kentucky
> 5/6/2005
>
> 7:23
>
> CONRAD 9:20
> DOREATHA 6:09
> ACTION MAN 4:40
> TROUBLE 3:25
> PICKIN' UP THE PIECES 7:20
> RADIO CHILD> 7:39
> DRUM SOLO> 3:07
> MONSTROSITY> 9:16
> MERCY> 10:42
> BIG BUST> 9:12
> WORRY 6:01
>
> 8:40 (1:17:01)
>
> 9:19
>
> PAPA LEGBA> 9:02
> SPACE WRANGLER> 10:19
> I'M NOT ALONE> 6:40
> DINER! >17:05
> RED HOT MAMA> 8:08
> ROCK 6:31
> X-MAS KATIE> 9:54
> MAGGOT BRAIN> 6:21
> CONTENTMENT BLUES> 5:21
> CLIMB TO SAFETY 6:40
>
> 10:35 (2:43:22
>
> 10:41
>
> BLUE INDIAN 5:45
> LAWYERS, GUNS, AND MONEY 3:30
>
> 10:50 2:53:03)
>
> SCHOEPS MK4>LUNATEC V3>DAP1 44.1K
>
> Late,
> Z-Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home