Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Col. Bruce and the Codetalkers Atlanta 1/6/2006

Col. Bruce and the Codetalkers Atlanta 1/6/2006
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> Happy New Year again! I was excited to see my first show of the year, albeit it took 6 days to do! I spoke to Michael in Memphis a couple of days prior and knew he would be in to visit Ash and come over to Smith's! I headed down and hooked up with my man Dillon. Downstairs, I met my new friend Tiffany with Aware Records as they were promoting John Mayer's new disc with a listening party. I never made it back down there until after 2:30, when the Codetalkers were done. David showed up later on, along with Neal, Stoudy, and Tracy. To my surprise, Ike Stubblefield was sitting in on keyboards. I had the good fortune to meet him while I was working in Toledo a few years back. He has moved to Atlanta and plays every Monday with a Hammond Organ jam session. Check it out one week.
>
> The Fiddle Worms opened up and played about a 1 hour set. They were rockabilly. They wrote all of their songs except I think one. I recorded as always. They had 3 guitarists, 1 acoustic, and 2 electric that shared the leads, along with a keyboard player, drummer, and bass.
>
> The Colonel and the boys hit the stage at about 11:20. They played a long first set, barely fits on a disc. After 1 hour, I figured it would be one long set. Wrong, they came out and played a shorter 2nd set. Bobby Lee Rogers was as entertaining as usual. He can play the trombone without even having one! It was strange to see Col. Bruce sit at the pedal steel the entire evening. We caught a few of the normal staples such as I'm So Glad, Fixin' to Die, Compared to What, Workin' on a Building, and Basically Frightened. They played a version of Ike Stubblefield, the first one that I have heard with Ike sitting in! It was a fun evening. The recording sounds very good.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Fiddle Worms
> Smith's Olde Bar
> Atlanta, Georgia
> 1/6/2006
>
> 9:44
>
> CROWS 4:40
> CAN'T COMPLAIN 3:44
> CARPET OVER TILE 5:29
> TOM WAITS 5:02
> PARASITE 4:00
> GUARDIAN ANGEL 3:25
> BACK SEAT 4:32
> LOOKIN' FOR A WAY OUT 3:35
> I'M NOT THE ONE 7:47
> ROCKIN' CHAIR 6:22
> TRADE 6:04
> BREATHE FOR ME 5:11
> TENSION 5:55
>
> 10:50
>
> Col. Bruce and the Codetalkers
> Smith's Olde Bar
> Atlanta, Georgia
> 1/6/2006
>
> 11:18
>
> ? 6:55
> IKE STUBBLEFIELD 8:02
> WORKIN' ON A BUILDING 5:30
> BAND INTROS :40
> ? 6:02
> ? 10:03
> TAKIN' YOU AWAY 7:13
> BASICALLY FRIGHTENED> 6:29
> COMPARED TO WHAT>
> LIMA 8:36
>
> 12:36
>
> 1:05
>
> HAWAII 8:30
> ? 8:32
> I'M SO GLAD> 9:35
> JAM>
> THE SAME THING 9:08
> FIXIN' TO DIE> 7:29
> DRUM SOLO> 3:01
> FIXIN' TO DIE 1:39
> ? 15:10
>
> 2:08
> 2:09
>
> ?> 7:46
> ? 4:15
>
> 2:21
>
> Soundboard>Sound Devices 722
>
> *Entire show with Ike Stubblefield on keyboards

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home