Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Widespread Panic Asheville 5/7/2005

Widespread Panic Asheville 5/7/2005
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> Sorry again for the delay, but it's hard to keep up between shows and work! I completed the "hat trick" for the weekend. Always look forward to Asheville. It means either a Warren Haynes X-Mas jam with Chris, or a Panic show on tap. Tonight, it was the later, and the temp was about 55 degrees warmer! I awoke at Patrick's after a 3 hour nap. I put the Louisville on my laptop as I was waiting for Teresa to pick me up around 10:00. The drive was no problem on such a beautiful day! Goig thru Kentucky and Tennessee on the way to "North" Carolina was pretty, some construction, but not too bad. Would they play North tonight?
>
> Happy Birthday Tracy F. and Stacey(after midnight)! I had been talking to Sam in Colorado about this show. Diana was coming in from Mill Valley, and she was game. I twisted his arm and with little effort, he was coming as I found those guys tickets. They opened with a Thousage>Parsons combo that worked very well. Lots of meat in this set beginning with the first tour Genesis. The huge Stop/Go sandwich containing Three Little Birds>Dirty Biz was great! There was no guesswork as the X-Mas Katie was last night! After returning to Stop/Go, they headed North, my favorite Jerry cover. Porch>Blackout could have lowered the curtain, but Randall joined the boys for Life During Wartime! Nice choice that ended what I thought was as good a set as I saw in this spring tour. A very long set clocking in at 1:20:40. It will fit on 1 disc if you cut some crowd before Porch Song. I made it fit.
>
> The second set just flat out Delivered! I might be tempted to say that Good People is right up there with Second Skin as my favorite new song. And opening with that into a pounding Chilly was a nice kick start for the set. The Chilly>FFF>Chilly sandwich was welcomed by all as water flew everywere, even got my DAP1 wet. The Pilgrims was sweet as George may have done his best version yet. I turned to Brut near the end to ask him if he heard the China-Cat tease, He confirmed it. The Ribs was loonnggg and very dirty. JB saved some of his best rapping for the end. After the Surprise>Mr. Soul, everyone figured the set had to be over. Very surprised to get not one, but 2 more songs! JB did butcher a verse as he meshed two different verses together(Every move he makes>out on Hollywood and Vine). I guess it gives it character. The longest 2nd set I saw this tour at over 1 hour and 45 minutes.
>
> The encore was a surprise 4 song selection. I just can't get into the Glass be Full, sounds like Old Joe on Prozac, but when JB strapped on the mandolin, I knew it would be End of the Show! I love that choice, a great Danny and Eric nugget! The We Gotta Get out of this Place was dedicated to the road crew who in my opinion did a fabulous job the entire tour. It was great seeing Chris, Dino, and Sam at all the stops along the way. Being "older", many people asked me about that one.
>
> The night yielded 3 Bloodkin songs, Jayne had to be a very happy camper. Randall sounded good with the boys and did not overstay his welcome. I was surprised to see 2 Guildeds on 2 consecutive Saturday's both with a guest on Saxaphone. No One Arm Steve or Bayou Lena, thank the stars!
>
>
> Good to hang with everyone in FOB land; Pat and Robin,Tracy F., Tracy W.(all 3 nights!), Pam, Frank S., Charles and Mindy, Mike, Jen, Jessica, Mark, Flynn & Heidi, Alegra, Stacy, Dano & Julie, Drew, Prosser(the man defies gravity!), Lara, Todd, DP, Pete, Sam, Steve, Teresa, Innis, Fred R., Josh, Eric Scott(well behaved for 3 shows in a row!), Boz, Haney, Jayne, Sam & Diana, Michelle D. on her way to New Hampshire, and the rest of you freaks. Chris and Darrin along with Pat and Craig from Austin, keeping peace in the section! Eric saw the Boss in Denver after the first 2 nights, instead of staying with us, where is the review? I think Goodwin likes to see me as it removes him from being the oldest at the shows! Again, it's the comraderie at the shows that make them so special. At every show, "Why don't we just take a look around us" and you will see what makes us smile!
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Widespread Panic
> Asheville Civic Center
> Asheville, North Carolina
> 5/7/2005
>
> 8:20
>
> Thought Sausage> 5:37
> Henry Parsons Died 5:30
> Papa Johnny Road 5:37
> Genesis> 6:17
> Stop-Go > 9:45
> Three Little Birds> 3:47
> Dirty Business >10:44
> Stop-Go> 2:23
> North 7:36
> Porch Song> 7:05
> Blackout Blues 7:27
> *Life During Wartime 7:49
>
> 9:41 (1:20:40)
>
> 10:20
>
> Good People> 7:09
> Chilly Water> 5:57
> Flat Foot Flewzy > 5:07
> Chilly Water 4:15
> Pilgrims> 12:53
> That Thang> 6:22
> Ribs And Whiskey 12:31
> *Let Her Cry> 13:12
> *I Walk On Guilded Splinters >12:17
> Drum Solo >5:16
> Surprise Valley> 8:48
> Mr. Soul> 4:56
> Makes Sense To Me>
> Imitation Leather Shoes
>
> 12:06 (1:46:22)
>
> 12:10
>
> May Your Glass Be Filled
> End Of The Show 6:27
> We Gotta Get Out Of This Place> 5:35
> Give 4:35
>
> 12:31 (2:08:35)
>
> * with Randall Bramblett on saxophone
>
> Schoeps mk41>cmc6>kc5>Oade 248>Apogee Mini-Me>DAP1 48K
>
> The 3 show weekend was a great time. I saw lots of the good folks who make up our awesome crew! To sum up the tour, I had a blast! Fifteen months seemed like longer. Once they began to play, it was as if they never stopped. I like the format of the sets with repeats of several nuggets. I don't miss the long drum solos. The band is back and George has arrived! The break did them good. They have a bevy of new songs, most of which I enjoy. Hope to see you somewhere this summer. Work schedule has already knocked me out of the 3 night runs unfortunately.
>
> Late,
> Z-Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home