Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Widespread Panic San Diego 7-12-2005


Widespread Panic San Diego 7-12-2005
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> I finally get to a summer tour show! It wasn't easy as work has been a major load this summer. I flew out west to meet Zee and head to San Diego. My plane leaving Dayton was 1 1/2 hours late. So, if my plane to connect with in Atlanta is on time, I do not get out . It was late by about 40 minutes. As I deplaned at 9:34, I saw the Departure board stating my plane was to leave at 9:40, in 6 minutes. I had to change concourses so I ran like hell. I got to the gate and the plane was closed and 20 people were told that standby was filled. I told the gate agent I had an actual ticket and I expect to be on the plane. He said they gave my seat away. I was pretty hot and told him to find me a seat. He went down the jetway, came back 5 minutes later and told me there was 1 seat left in the back. I boarded and off we went. Of course, there was no way my bag would make it and I knew it. Zee landed about 25 minutes after I did. We hit the rental car and headed to San Diego. We stayed with Dano and Julie who relocated there this year.
>
> The setting for the show was unbelievably beautiful! Right by the water. The weather hear is perfect, comfortably warm and not hot. There were about 3,000 to 3,500 in attendance, but there was a lot of howling and rowdiness! The sound was exceptionally good. Zee was a bit gunshy about the FOB situation. I kept him up there and we set up. We were hoping more people would show to fill the voids. I saw only 3 rigs in the section. The first set started early due to a 10:30 curfew. It was played entirely in daylight. There were some bright spots, but a few songs I just did not want to hear. JB gave credit to Bloodkin for Can't Get High. Jayne would have been proud to hear 2 Bloodkin tunes! I began to drink whiskey after I heard the opening notes of Don't Wanna Lose You. It just doesn't do it for me.I am glad they did not end with Doreatha, but tacked on a Worry. I was surprised to see George get 2 songs the first set.
>
> The second set was a different story. They played a full 1 1/2 hours with only a mini drums. Take out the May Your Glass be Full (Old Joe on Prozac), and the rest was for keeps! We got to see Dino work the second set as it was now dark. The lights are different patterns than spring tour. There are now 9 sets of 7 strips and 1 set of 6. At times they looked like glowing embers. Legba out of the gate is always a promising sign! The Drivin'>I'm Not Alone>Drivin' sandwich was great! Me & The Devil was a nice treat as was Junco Partner. After Me and the Devil, they played a pronounced jam that sounded as it could be a new song. It all flowed nicely. The double encore was also right on the money! I saw very few folks that I knew at the show, quite different. It was great hangin' with Zee, Dano, Julie, Tammy and Brad, Dominic, and Mike. I did get a chance to say hey to Charlie, Steve Kimock's archivist. When did Jojo stop singing the first verse of Good People? Here is how it went down:
>
> Widespread Panic
> Embarcadero
> San Diego, California
> 7/12/2005
>
> 6:45
>
> OLD NEIGHBORHOOD> 6:11
> BEAR'S GONE FISHIN'> 7:52
> BLACKOUT BLUES 7:53
> CAN'T GET HIGH 3:37
> CASA DEL GRILLOS> 7:13
> I LIKE THE THINGS ABOUT ME> 9:11
> WHO DO YOU BELONG TO? 5:20
> DON'T WANNA LOSE YOU 7:30
> DOREATHA 6:23
> WORRY 6:30
>
> 7:53 (1:07:35)
>
> 8:28
>
> LEGBA> 8:13
> GOOD PEOPLE 6:20
> MAY YOUR GLASS BE FULL> 5:13
> REBIRTHA> 10:45
> GRETA> 8:48
> ME & THE DEVIL BLUES> 6:41
> JAM> 3:37
> THIN AIR> 6:10
> DRUM SOLO> :49
> THIN AIR> 4:27
> DRIVIN' SONG> 4:30
> I'M NOT ALONE> 8:00
> DRIVIN' SONG> 3:05
> JUNCO PARTNER> 4:44
> PIGEONS 9:37
>
> 9:59 (2:38:58)
>
> 10:04
>
> LET IT BLEED> 5:38
> NORTH 7:09
>
> 10:17 (2:52:30)
>
> B&K 4022>SOUND DEVICE 722>DAP1
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 40' FROM STAGE
>
>
> The San Diego Zoo is on tap for today. Let's hope they don't lock up Zee or I drive alone to LA! I am hoing to meet Joan Embry after seeing her for years on Johnny Carson!
>
> Late,
> Z-Man
>
>

1 Comments:

  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said…

    found you searching for Athens Bloodkin. I was at the WSP show in L.A. right before yout show

     

Post a Comment

<< Home