Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Kinsey Report Swanton 1/14/2006

The Kinsey Report Swanton 1/14/2006
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> After 7 days without a show, I decided to make it happen. I worked most of the day in the office and thought about seeing some blues since I saw the Kinsey Report was going to be in the area on Saturday night. I have not seen them without their Dad, Lester "Big Daddy" Kinsey. He passed away a few years back. They are from Gary, Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago. I was going to the show intending to stealth, but was open to any options available. Swanton is not a booming metropolis, but rather a small town just west of the Toledo airport. They were playing at a club called Hines Farm. In all the years I have come to Toledo, I never heard of it. I got to Swanton and stopped at an "in- convenince" store as I call them. I got directions and lo and behold, I found it on the first try! It was in the country. They had a few big grills and a smoker fired up in front.
>
> I went inside and met Jackie, part of the Griffin family that bought the facility about 20 years ago. I gave her my twelve dollars and walked past the bar and towards the back where the opening band, Blues Messanger was setting up. I asked the soundman, Mud Foot, at the small board if taping was cool. He asked what I had in mind and offered the board. Either 1/4" or RCA. I had both and after he finished up, i plugged in. He was running sound and playing harp with the opener. I told him he looked very familiar. He said he works at the Ark in Ann Arbor. That's how I recognized him. I asked if he knew my buddy Jeff. When I told him Jeff sees almost every show there and tapes, he knew him. I walked around the club. It was built in the early fifties. The concert posters on the all the walls go back to that time. I was very impressed to see the big names that came through and played here. Pinetop Perkins, John Lee Hooker, Jimmy Reed, and many others. Check out the website for some historic facts, www.hinesfarm.com.
>
> Turns out Blues Messanger was very good. They played just over 2 hours, a long set for an opener! After Mud Foot got the sound down, he joined in on harp and vocals. We got to hear many blues standards. They invited "Big Blues Doug" up to sing a song. The second half of their set, they had Dave Raymond, their original guitarist join until they finished the set. Until Mud Foot joined in, Jimmy the drummer handled a bunch of the vocals. Very nice renditions of the Sky is Cryin', Walkin' Blues, Jimmy Reed's Pretty Thing, and Leave My Girl Alone. They also covered Robert Cray's Smokin' Gun. They even shared a few originals with us. At the end of the set, I turned around and to my surprise, the place was packed with at least 175 people.
>
> Between bands, I stepped out for some fresh air. I heard from Geoff and Diana at the Independant in San Francisco as they were going to see the North Mississippi All Stars. BTW, can someone forward the NMAS setlist from the Variety on 12/28/2005? Everyone is looking for it. I returned as The Kinsey Report was ready to go. They took the stage before 10:00 p.m. After an instrumental, they tore into Keep Messin' with Me. By now, several couples had begun to dance and by the end of the set, the "dance floor" was packed! They were pretty tight as you would expect after playing together since the early 80's. They covered the Percy Mayfield tune We Will Live our Life Together. My favorite tune of the set was the Outskirts of Town that stretched out over 16 minutes. Lots of great keyboards and guitar licks. They closed the set with 3 very strong covers, Jammin', Get out of My Life Woman, and Everyday I Have the Blues. Donald Kinsey, the guitarist had spent some time in Bob Marley's band way back and the Jammin' proved that. After the one hour set, I stepped out for some fresh air. I checked out the BBQ and reserved a plate for after the show.
>
> The second set started up to the delight of the lively crowd. It was a nice mix of all ages. I did not feel old at all, as there were several folks that had me by a long shot! A nice Yonder Wall right out of the gate. Rufus Thomas's Walk the Dog, Big Boss Man, and Howling Wolf were the highlights of the show. I tried to get Mud Foot to go up and blow some harp on Jimmy Reed's Bad Avenue. He walked up there but the boys did not acknowlege him. After several drinks, he was loosened up and ready. I coaxed him up there for the 13 minute Howling Wolf. He got up and started to crank out the notes. Donald walked over next to him and encouraged him even more. A very nice moment. I will be sure to burn him a copy. Tehy came back for an encore of Rock Me Baby.
>
> After the show, I picked up my rib dinner complete with baked beans and corn, and headed to my room. Very tasty, not as good as the Fox Brothers, but it hit the spot. Here is how it went down:
>
> Blues Messanger
> Hines Farm
> Swanton, Ohio
> 1/14/2006
>
> 7:07
>
> ? 4:26
> ? 4:00
> I'M THE MAN YOU NEED 6:25
> DON'T YOU LIE TO ME 6:20
> THE SKY IS CRYING 6:56
> *I AIN'T DOIN' THAT BAD AT ALL 6:15
> *WALKIN' BLUES 6:21
> *YOU GOTTA HELP ME BABY> 11:39
> *SCRATCH MY BACK 6:20
> *PRETTY THING 8:21
> *#@LOCK AND CHAINS ON MY DOOR 12:57
> @SHE'S A HEAD SHAKIN' WOMAN 5:33
> @SMOKIN' GUN 6:00
> @LEAVE MY GIRL ALONE 6:45
> @WHY YOU TREAT ME SO MEAN 7:15
> *@BAND INTROS AND STORIES 4:00
> *@GONNA LOSE MY TROUBLES 6:20
> *@HELENA 5:45
>
> 9:09
>
> *With Mud Foot on HArp and Vocals
> #With Big Blues Doug on Vocals
> @with Dave Raymond on Guitar
>
> SBD>722 24-96
>
> The Kinsey Report
> Hines Farm
> Swanton, Ohio
> 1/14/2006
>
> 9:49
>
> INSTRUMENTAL 3:24
> KEEP MESSIN' WITH ME 6:24
> CAN'T STAND YOUR LOVE? 7:34
> WE WILL LIVE OUR LIFE TOGETHER 4:36
> OUTSKIRTS OF TOWN 16:20
> BAND INTROS :58
> JAMMIN' 8:09
> GET OUT OF MY LIFE WOMAN 5:50
> EVERYDAY I HAVE THE BLUES 5:29
>
> 10:48
>
> 11:15
>
> YONDER WALL> 8:50
> WHEN THE CHURCHBELLRINGS? 6:20
> WALK THE DOG 6:27
> BAD AVENUE 14:52
> BIG BOSS MAN> 5:40
> THE ROOF IS ON FIRE 1:20
> *HOWLING WOLF 13:15
> SHUFFLE? 6:00
>
> 12:16
>
> 12:18
>
> ROCK ME BABY 7:15
>
> 12:25
>
> *With Mud Foot on Harp
>
> SBD>722 24-96
>
> Spoke to David as he was at the Blueground Undergrass show at Smith's. He enjoyed breaking in his new 140's and enjoyed the show. Thanks Diana for letting me hear the Po Black Maddie from San Fran!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home