Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Smokestack Toledo 4/15/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> After going to Indy for work on Friday, and staying out til "closing" time for the Slippery Noodle, we staggered back to the hotel. After getting packed, we hit TGI Fridays for breakfast, yes breakfast. It is attached to the Courtyard Hotel, so in lieu of the Courtyard having a restaurant, they sub-contract with the expectation that they must do breakfast. A very nice display of fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, potatoes, a self service Belgium Waffle station, and even a display station where they make ommlettes or eggs to order. We tanked up and drove the 4 hour trip back. Back in the middle of the afternoon. Too late for golf. I went to the office for about an hour. Then it hit me, a quick round of disc golg. Over to Ottawa Park, 8 minutes away. I joined a threesome at the first tee. I played all the holes for par 3, even the long ones. I shot a 2 over as I was elated. Over to the office for a bit. I stopped by Tim's for a quick visit. He called me earlier to go to see Johnny, as One Under was playing. They were opening for Particle and at the time, I was not sure if I would be ready in time to get to Detroit. I was now leaning towards seeing Smokestack here in Toledo. I decided to get my gear and head over to the show.
>
> I got over to Mickey Finn's Pub at about 10:10. As I went in, I found out there was an opener, Indagrass. I went in and set up FOB. I ran into Phil and Sahadi, Steady and Jade. They kicked off the set at about 10:10, so I missed the first tune. They are a bluegrass band that I have never seen. They did some good covers such as Little Maggie, Hobo Song, SOTW, and Wild Horses. Definintely an enjoyable 45 minute set. They play as a traditional bluegrass unit, guitar, stand-up bass, mando, fiddle, and banjo. BTW, Happy Birthday Tim, now of legal age! A quick break in the "alley" with Chuck, Steady, Buddy, and a few others, and we were ready for set 1.
>
> The stage crew wasted little time switching out as Smokestack began their first set 17 minutes later. They kicked off with a nice Highway. The Bodhi>Porch>Bodhi sandwich was very jazzy. I could picture James tearing up a grand piano! The Sea Gute stretched out to over 16 minutes. For my second show in a row, I saw the newer song While You Break. A long Miss Piggy closed out the 87 minute set.
>
> After a short break, they kicked off the second set with A Long Time. They played this with a different arrangement. Next was the usual pairing of B-Mac's Groove>Hippo. Chuck led us through this with some nice guitar chops. This flowed into the crowd energizer Jubilee. This one gets everyone up and moving. Of course Steady and Jade are already there! They are non-stop wide open! I enjoyed the Chilibin. My treat was the set closer, a cover of moe's Happy Hour Hero.
>
> Nice hangin' with Buddy at the light board. I got to chew the fat with him as he was telling me about his light rig. If any of you are going to Hookahville the end of May, Buddy will be running the lights. Stop by and say hey to him if you get a chance. You get a nice vibe from these guys. For the third show in a row, I was approached by James after the end of the show. He thanked me for coming out and taping them! Nate and Buddy did the same. It is a very nice feeling to know these guys appreciate us coming out and supporting them! I thought this was a much "jazzier" show than the previous two that I saw in the past month. The crowd was a bit smaller than I expected. Maybe this was due to the holiday weekend. Here is how it went down:
>
> Indagrass
> Mickey Finn's
> Toledo, Ohio
> 4/15/2006
>
> 10:10
>
> LITTLE MAGGIE 3:08
> LIGHTHOUSE BLUES 2:57
> HOBO SONG 4:12
> TEAR IT DOWN 4:07
> SITTIN' ON TOP OF THE WORLD 5:30
> ? 5:52
> COCAINE GONNA KILL MY HONEY DEAD 5:12
> WILD HORSES 5:14
> SOUTHBOUND 7:11
>
> 10:53
>
> SCHOEPS MK4'S>CMC6>SOUND DEVICES 722 24-96
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 20' FROM STAGE
>
>
> Smokestack
> Mickey Finn's
> Toledo, Ohio
> 4/15/2006
>
> 11:10
>
> INTRO/JAM> 2:44
> HIGHWAY 9:02
> WHY DID YOU DO ME WRONG 6:12
> BODHI> 11:58
> PORCH> 6:41
> BODHI> 4:24
> SEA GUTE 16:18
> WHILE YOU BREAK 9:46
> SIGNIN STRANGER> 6:53
> MISS PIGGY 14:16
>
> 12:36
>
> 12:59
>
> A LONG TIME 9:30
> B-MAC'S GROOVE> 1:30
> HIPPO> 15:45
> JUBILEE> 8:47
> DRUM SOLO> 2:00
> CHILIBIN 7:44
> BEAVER STREET> 4:00
> DRUM SOLO> :53
> BEAVER STREET 2:21
> HAPPY HOUR HERO 7:59
>
> 1:58
>
> SCHOEPS MK4'S>CMC6>SOUND DEVICES 722 24-96
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC 20' FROM STAGE

1 Comments:

  • At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    [url=http://dcxvssh.com]wfqlsTIBjJen[/url] - xuegInImEfQO - http://yuxeflk.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home