Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

John Hiatt/North Mississippi All Stars Detroit 7/3/2005

John Hiatt/North Mississippi All Stars Detroit 7/3/2005
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> On Sunday, after working all day in the hot sun setting up for the upcoming week at the golf tournament, I went to the office to get a couple of things done. I was whipped from the late show Saturday night and working all day. At 5:30, I said, what the heck and headed to Detroit as John Hiatt was coming on the main stage of the Taste of Detroit Festival at 8:00 p.m. I got to the "picturesque" neighborhood of the festival. Are there any nice areas in Detroit???? Sorry if I offended anyone! I found the main stage at about 7:50. I quickly wired myself and hunted for "the seat". It was GA and most folding chairs had owners by then. I spotted a single seat in the 12th row and it became mine!
>
> Hiatt came on with the NMAS just after 8:00. I was excited to be in such a great spot! The sound was very good, a bit of a breeze. The crowd was very receptive. It was a mixed crowd, lots of folks even older than me! They are about to release a new album, Master of Disaster, and covered quite a few songs from it during the set. I was equally impressed by the NMAS playing backup on some of Hiatt's older stuff. They sounded very solid together. Luther filled Sonny Landreth's spot nicely! He told some good stories in between a couple of songs. Of course we got Memphis in the Meantime, Cry Love, Paper Thin, Ridin' with the King among others. John played mostly acoustic guitar. He picked up the 12 string for You've Got A Real Fine Look. He played electric guitar on 2 songs, and keyboards also on 2. Chris handled the backup vocals on a couple of songs. After the set, they came out for a 2 song encore. I began to shut down and disconnect and I was surprised as they pumped out a second encore. It made it to the 2:01:03 mark on a 2 hour dat!. All for nothing as when I got to my vehicle to listen on my 1 hour and 15 minute ride, the tape was destroyed as my d8 got hungry. It was tangled up beyond repair. I was so pissed! Sorry I can't share the memory with ya! Here is how it went down:
>
> John Hiatt/North Mississippi All Stars
> Taste of Detroit Celebration
> Detroit, michigan
> 7/2/2005
>
> 8:01
>
> JUST LIKE YOUR DADDY DID 8:10
> SMASHING A PERFECTLY GOOD GUITAR 5:05
> CRY LOVE 9:40
> MASTER OF DISASTER 6:01
> YOU'VE GOT A REAL FINE LOOK 7:35
> IS THE TIKI BAR STILL OPEN 8:40
> AIN'T EVER GOING BACK 8:40
> LOVES NOT WHERE YOU THOUGHT YOU LEFT IT 10:00
> IS ANYBODY THERE 6:25
> PAPER THIN 6:30
> COLD RIVER 5:40
> MEMPHIS IN THE MEANTIME 5:35
> RIDIN' WITH THE KING 9:
>
> 9:38 (1:37:31)
>
> 9:40
>
> HAVE A LITTLE FAITH IN ME 4:18 (John solo on keyboard)
> SLOW TURNIN' 10:
>
> 9:54 (1:53:23)
>
> 9:56
>
> ARE YOU READY FOR THE THING CALLED LOVE 7:15
>
> 10:03 (2:01:03)
>
> I thoroughly enjoyed the music, but the ride home was somber as I had a dead tape! Check this arrangement out if you can. I highly recommend them.
>
> Late,
> Z-Man
>
> BTW....I saw Eric Scott dancing to Better Than Ezra!!!!
>
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home