Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Derek Trucks Band Cleveland 1/19/2006

Derek Trucks Band Cleveland 1/19/2006
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> After a five day void of live music, I was planning on a trip to Cleveland for some entertainment. As it turns out, my company wanted me to go there to attend a couple of pre-bid conferences that same day! Perfect. At the end of the day, I changed and headed up to the Odeon located in the Flats. I had seen numerous shows there over the years. Sadly, they will be closing their doors sometime this year. Kind of bittersweet. I had talked to my taping buddy Jesse a couple of days prior, and planned on meeting him there. Doors were at 7:00 for the 8:00 show. I got there at 6:58 and found a parking spot, the last one on the street, right accross the street from the entrance! Nice start.
>
> I went in and was amazed that even 15 minutes prior to the start, hardly anyone was there. They made us tape against the ledge on the left side. They even posted signs to that effect. We set up about 10 feet towards the center. "Fred Flintsone", of the security crew, was very cool and told us not to block the dude working the board. He let us stay. Raphael, Mike, Steve, and Dave were in the house and set up as well. Where were Levi, Terry, and Melissa? At 8:15, the show started. within 15 minutes, to my amazement, the floor filled in rather nicely.
>
> The first set was typical in lenght, about 50 minutes. My highlight had to be the Key to the Highway. Mike handles the vocals very nicely. We did catch a couple of new tunes. Nothin' Changes was very good. My last DTB show was in Detroit in October. Count M'Butu was at that show, and continues to tour with Derek, adding both percussion and backup vocals.
>
> After a 35 minute break, they hit the stage for round 2. They played about a 55 minute set. I thought the show was very upbeat and bouncy. Everyone looked to be jamming nicely together and having fun. They played several tunes that were noticably shorter than the usual length. I got to here the Rastaman Chant I was looking for in October. This segued nicely into Let's Go Get Stoned. The All I Do and Music were very tight. During the set, my taper buddy Steve heard that Glenn Schwartz was playing for free at Major Hoopplles, accross the Flats. I got directions from the securtiy guard. After the two song encore, we broke down expeditiously and headed out. I walked out with Yonrico Scott and thanked him for a fun show. I then walked by Derek as he was going to the bus. I said hello and thanked him too. Once everyone noticed him, they were on him like white on rice. I must say he is a perfect gentlemen, and handles himself great! He will shake hands and sign autographs for everyone.
>
> Meanwhile, I got in the Jeep and headed accross the river. Glenn was the guitarist for the old PGE back in the day. He was also in the James Gang, although not with Joe Walsh. In 8 minutes, I arrived and parked. Glenn was on stage with his bass player (brother), and drummer. They were in the back corner of an old bar next to an old bowling machine with the softball size wooden balls! I busted thru the crowd in a hurry all the way to the front. Steve wasn't there yet so I started to pull out my equipment when I got a NO from Glenn's girlfriend and his manager. I was bummed cause it was a great blues jam unfolding. They sort of watched me retreat. I went behind a table and decuded that I was going to walk out of Major Hoopplles with a recording! I set up the RadioSchoeps into the 722 in stealth mode and got the last 10 munutes of the set. During that time, Steve had gotten there and was busted trying to set up his rig. We talked to Glenn's manager and he said if we can get permission, we could tape. Glenn is wwaayyy out there! I could not even get his attention. Steve finally walked up and asked permission. He got an emphatic NO and we left. After I got to my Jeep, I had 2nd thoughts and went back in stealth mode, in the hat. I steered clear of his manager and was able to get about 30 minutes of the very short 2nd set. I felt vindicated! The man was clearly in a zone and can still play! He plays on Thursdays there and would reccomend seeing him. If you are gonna tape, be prepared to stealth!
> Not sure on most of the sets, please correct and forward them if you can, but here is how it went down:
>
> Derek Trucks Band
> The Odeon
> Cleveland, Ohio
> 1/19/2006
>
> 8:15
>
> ? 5:15
> ?> 2:49
> NOTHIN' CHANGES 4:38
> ? 5:44
> ? 5:55
> KEY TO THE HIGHWAY 5:45
> BAND INTRODUCTIONS :40
> I BELIEVE 4:55
> ? 3:45
> DRUM SOLO> 2:40
> ? (WITH GREENSLEEVES JAM) 9:00
>
> 9:06 (50:50)
>
> 9:41
>
> RASTAMAN CHANT> 12:40
> LET'S GO GET STONED> 4:25
> ? 5:55
> ALL I DO 6:21
> ?> 4:31
> MUSIC (WITH BASS AND DRUM SOLO) 10:26
> ? 10:20
>
> 10:36 (55:50)
>
> 10:38
>
> ?> 8:07
> ? 6:50
>
> 10:54 (15:25)
>
> AKG 414'S>LUNATEC V3>SOUND DEVICES 722 24-96
> FOB/DLFC/KFC/ZFC
>
> The Schwartz Brothers
> Major Hoopplles
> Cleveland, Ohio
> 1/19/2006
>
> 10:00 - 11:30
>
> I Only got there for the last 30 minutes
>
> 12:27
>
> DEATH ROW 5:00
> FRIENDS DON'T TREAT ME LIKE THEY USED TO 5:30
> ? 9:15
>
> 12:47
>
> RADIOSHOEPS>SOUND DEVICES 722 24-96
> FOB/DLFC/KFC/ZFC
>
>
> On a sad note:
>
> Wilson Pickett Dies of Heart Attack at 64

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home