Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Commander Cody Atlanta 2/17/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> I had conversed with Pat during the week and we were planning on me meeting him and Robin at Blind Willies for Commander Cody on Friday. George, "The Commander", has been a friend, and I always make an effort to see him when I am within' the radius of travel. This night would be even better, as it was a home town show. By the time I found a parking spot and went in, it was after 9:15. I walked in the front door and saw that Robin, Pat, and Cheryl grabbed a table straight back. It was the last one! As I walked in, there he was in all his grandeur, the Commander! He came over to greet me. I set up the mics and made all my connections and then headed backstage to see George. I don't care how many times I get to see and hang with him, I always enjoy our most interesting conversations. What I probably should be doing is recording those cherished moments! I introduced Pat and Robin to George and the rest of the guys. Pat was reminiscing about seeing the Lost Planet Airmen at Red Rocks in 1978. George remembered it well. Between sets, Cheryl got to meet him as well. We did not get o talk about horse racing as this time of year there is not much to talk about.
>
> On to the show itself. The place was pretty much full as they took the stage. The opening tune set the tone for the evening, Too Much Fun. By the 3rd song, the place was gorged as people continued to come in to see this legend (and not in his own mind)! The crowd was rowdy as is expected and they were dancing and having fun. If you have been to Blind Willies, there ain't much room to dance. They rambled thru the archives as they played. The western swing of Smoke That Cigarette, to Mark doing Truck Drivin' Man, and closing the first set with a tribute to Hoyt Axton's Lightnin' Bar, had the joint hopping. First set break, and that means go back and check on George! I think George just loves playin' the bar/club circuit. There is always someone there to offer him a beer and a shot all evening. During the break in which Pat and I were talking to George, he made my evening. I have had him on my chronicles list for well over a year. He told me how much he enjoys reading my reviews and stories. He said I write similar to Hemmingway! I figured since he never responds, he probably just deletes them as they come. It made me crack up, but it was nice to hear. I guess a few Heineken's and some choice shots of Tequila, and you never know what he might say!
>
> Set two started out with the "Boogie Woogie" that Commander Cody has made his trademark. The Blue Lights>Should Have Been Me combo worked well. I should mention for the fashion mongers, that George changed t-shirts for this set. He wore a bright red shirt that said REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT. I always have liked Lookin' at the World Thru a Windshield. The 2nd set closer was Hot Rod Lincoln, as everyone in the crowd was primed for it. Mark seemed to be on his game tonight, even more than usual. As a matter of fact, he never had a beer, hmmmm. Between the next set break, we talked about one of our favorite topics, Southern Rock. He informed me that he got to play with Dru Lombar last year, the night before his untimely death. Untimely death, all death seems to fit that category. We talked about the guitar legend Toy Caldwell as well.
>
> On to set 3 with motre Boogie Woogie as they got going with Rock That Boogie. After Midnight on the Strand, Pat, Robin, and myself shouted out the obligatory "Free Bird". No licks from Mark. I enjoyed the Good Morning Judge. To waste no time, George announces 2 seconds after the last note of Beat Me Daddy, here is the encore. And it was time for Lost in the Ozone. After I packed up my taping gear, I went back to bid George, Steve, Rick, and Mark goodbye. I also gave George shit for not playing Seeds and Stems!
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Commander Cody Band
> Blind Willie's
> Atlanta, Georgia
> 2/17/2006
>
> 10:05
>
> TOO MUCH FUN> 5:03
> RIOT IN CELL BLOCK #9 5:20
> WE USED TO RIDE 4:53
> SMOKE THAT CIGARETTE 5:45
> TUCK DRIVIN' MAN 4:00
> WHAT'S THE MATTER NOW 4:28
> DON'T LET GO> 3:43
> LIGHTNON' BAR 4:50
>
> 10:43
>
> 11:10
>
> HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHTS> 5:50
> IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME> 5:42
> THEY KICKED ME OUT OF THE BAND 3:31
> LOOKIN' AT THE WORLD THRU A WINDSHIELD 4:15
> MIDNIGHT SHIFT 3:20
> OH MAMA MAMA 6:51
> HOT ROD LINCOLN 6:40
>
> 11:51
>
> 12:19
>
> ROCK THAT BOOGIE 6:25
> MIDNIGHT ON THE STRAND 5:35
> LOOSE AND JUMPIN' 4:07
> ROCKIN' IN THE USA 5:30
> GOOD MORNIN' JUDGE 5:45
> BEAT ME DADDY, A TO THE BAR 7:31
> LOST IN THE OZONE AGAIN 4:30
>
> 12:57
>
> AKG 224>SOUND DEVICES 722
> FOB(Front of BAR)/DRFC/KFC/ZFC!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home