Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Phil and Friends NYC 2/10/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> It has been a while since my last trip to NYC! What better excuse than a Phil or ABB run at the Beacon! Staying with my best friends Mark and Laurie in New Jersey. As I always mention, some people eat to live, but I live to eat(and see music)! After some excellent Thai for lunch, followed by a stop in 2 pizzarias for dessert, I had to perform work for a while at the house. We headed for the Big Apple around 5:30. An open spot on Amsterdam in front of Planet Sushi, hmmm, was that a sign or what! After we ate $100.00 of fish, it was time to head over to the Beacon a couple of blocks away and meet David, our other good buddy we grew up with. As I entered, I run smack into Joey! Nice surprise as I have known him from all my trips to the Beacon for the ABB March Madness shows over the years. I then get to see Cheryl and Richard for the 1st time in almost 2 years.
>
> I met Jim down in row H DFC. Looked like the spot! Mark set up next to us. Ended up that as a collective group, only 2 of us had a ticket in the row, and not together. We were ready to roll when Phil and company took the stage. Other than Playin', the first 5 songs didn't knock me out. The set caught me at the final 2 songs of Love the One You're With and Lovelight. I am not a Ryan Adams fan and was glad to see Joan over him for the show. But why do Ryan songs?? Go figure. The set clocked in at just over 1:21.With some editing, it will fit a disc.
>
> After a lengthy set break of 49 minutes, back to business. Jaon likes doing the Pig Pen material and they opened with a Midnight Hour. I thought I heard rumblings and notes of either a Dark Star or Bird Song, but got a Magnolia Mountain. Then it was onto a great combo of Bird Song>Unbroken Chain. Joan excused herself for the Chain. Phil was a bit overanxious and opened up with the 2nd verse until he caught himself. That combo was perhaps the best 33 minute stretch to that point of the show. I actually liked the Rescue Blues as it was my first listen. After Good Lovin', I actually called the Help>Slip>Frank. That is why we love seeing Phil's different conglomerations of musicians perform. After a few announcements, we got a fun Casey Jones. When the exit doors popped open, it was the first air less than 95 degrees I felt all night. After I got rolling each set, I hung with Mark and David, 2 of my oldest friends that I grew up with in New York. Nice seeing and hanging with Richard and Cheryl, John, Wayne, Jeff, and running into Phil and Lizzy from Columbus!
>
> Time for a late night feeding at Hop Kee in China Town. Spare Ribs, Hot Sour Soup, Muscles in Spicy Bean Sauce, Foo Young, Spicy Beef Chow Fun, Sauteed Water Cress. Enough food for at least 5, we left without a doggy bag. Dropped David at the Trump Rink in Central Park to make ice, and Mark and I headed back to Jersey. BTW, we have 3 extra floors for Sunday. Give me a shout if you need em.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Phil and Friends
> Beacon Theatre
> New York City
> 2/10/2006
>
> 8:20
>
> NEW YORK, NEW YORK> 14:22
> PLAYIN' IN THE BAND> 14:22
> COLD ROSES 8:08
> WEST L.A. FADEAWAY 9:11
> NO MORE DO I> JAM> 15:22
> LOVE THE ONE YOU'RE WITH 6:56
> TURN ON YOUR LOVELIGHT 10:50
>
> 9:41
>
> 10:30
>
> JAM>
> AFTER MIDNIGHT 15:58
> MAGNOLIA MOUNTAIN> 11:13
> BIRD SONG> 18:45
> UNBROKEN CHAIN 14:30
> RESCUE BLUES> 8:03
> GOOD LOVIN' 12:05
> HELP ON THE WAY> 4:11
> SLIPKNOT!> 4:47
> FRANKLIN'S TOWER 11:30
>
> 12:11
>
> 12:14
>
> PHIL ANNOUNCES CAN DRIVE
> PHIL DONOR RAP
> BAND INTRODUCTIONS 4:50
>
> 12:19
>
> CASEY JONES 7:30
>
> 12:25
>
> Neumann 43>Lunatec V3>Sound Devices 722
> FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC Row H

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home