Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Donna the Buffalo Charleston 8/18/2006

> >
> > Hey Y'All,
> >
> > After a long week of work, actually it is still going, I decided I needed
some therapy. The only thing in the 2 hour range that I was interested in was
Donna the Buffalo. The only problem, I had to go out of the country, to West
Virginia AGAIN! A scary thought but I made up my mind. As soon as I crossed the
Ohio River into exile, I past a trailer park, I had arrived! The sign on the
bridge stated West Virginia, "Open for Business". I checked out of my room in
the early afternoon as I did not want to screw around with trying to escape West
Virginia late at night after the show. I left work around 6:00 and headed down
route 33. I got a room in Charleston. The exit of my hotel was on McCorkle Ave.
George McCorkle was one of the original members of the Marshall Tucker Band.
File that fact for later. I packed my gear, and left for the show at about 8:45.
I called to get directions so I would not take a "wrong turn". The 10 minute
ride was now 25 minutes and yes, I was in the "hood". I called the venue and
tried to get there with some more "help". I finally found the place and
attempted to enter with my gear. I was greeted at the door with "you can't bring
that #### in here". I explained that I have been seeing this band since the
early 90's and they are cool about taping. He said no way. After a couple of
minutes going back and forth, I asked him to check with Tara of Donna the
Buffalo. He went in an a couple of minutes later allowed me in.
> >
> > The opening band was Tastes Like Chicken and I was wearing my Chicken Tastes
Good Panic shirt Ray gave me. I began to set up as they were about to begin
their set. I was DFC 12 feet from stage. My "friend" gets in my face and tells
me if I want to tape to go to the back or all the way to the side, or I can
leave. Wow. With him was one of his bouncers, 6'5" 300 pounds. All 4 bouncers
were that big, very scary. I opted to move towards the side and set up. He came
back and moved me even farther to the side. I ran the TLC set. They opened with
This Ol' Cowboy, a Marshall Tucker Song. They played a set of all covers, mostly
southern rock. The crowd loved it. By then, surprisingly, the place was packed!
> >
> > DTB came on a bit after 11:00. Positive Friction was a nice choice for
openers. I particularly enjoyed the Family Picture. Tara and Jeb were laughing
near the end as they seem to flub a verse. There were a few new ones that I did
not recognize. I did groove on the West Virginia Rastafari. Not a common one in
my experiences. No Place like the Right Time hit home, as the crowd ate it up.
The band was asking the soundman to adjust monitors most of the night. As for
the sound itself, I thought it was only fair. Especially after listening to the
recording. The Blue Skies and Ring of Fire were nice to hear. To end the set, we
got an extended version of Conscious evolution followed by Tides of Time. I have
seen these 2 back to back on many occasions. They came back for the double
encore of Mr. King and Rock of Ages.
> >
> > During the show, I was watching the bottom line of ESPN keeping up with the
Yankee/Red Sox game. They slaughtered the Sox during the day, and much to my
satisfaction, they came back in the nightcap for the sweep. Not to mention the
drubbing yesterday. Yes, the Boston Massacre continues. I shall watch tonight on
ESPN at 8:00 p.m.! Sorry Mark, but I must mention this. Mark told me that for
his 50th birthday on Friday, he came downstairs and Laurie had gotten him a new
flat screen tv! Mark is a huge Red Sox fan. I must say, what a way to break in
your new tv as the Sox got swept!!!!
> >
> > My second venture either in or near West Virginia in the past 2 weeks, and I
knew not a soul. I did make new friends with David, the percussionist for TLC. I
will be furnishing him with a copy of their set. Thanks for the Newcastles! This
country, West Virginia is just too weird. i was approached by a guy close to my
age. He asked if we could set up a trade. I told him B & P would work as I
stopped trading a while back. He gave me a blank stare. I asked for his email
addy. He didn't have one. He gave me his card. He has a business he runs,
Cassette Repair. I told him if I copy the show, it won't be on cassette but on
CD. Only in West Virginia! Post show eats at 3:00 am found me at the IHOP by the
hotel for Funnell Cakes with Strawberry topping, Bacon, Sausage, Hash Browns,
and 2 eggs over easy. Here is how it went down:
> >
> > Tastes Like Chicken
> > Sound Factory
> > Charleston, West Virginia
> > 8/18/2006
> >
> > 9:49
> >
> > THIS OL' COWBOY 10:42
> > BACK WHERE IT ALL BEGAN 11:52
> > CHANGE YOUR EVIL WAYS > 7:02
> > DRUM SOLO > :35
> > CHANGE YOUR EVIL WAYS 5:16
> > BLUE SKY > 9:15
> > FRANKLIN'S TOWER 10:45
> >
> > 10:43
> >
> > Schoeps CCM4V's>Sound Device 722
> > FOB LOC KFC ZFC 12' From Stage
> >
> > Donna the Buffalo
> > Sound Factory
> > Charleston, West Virginia
> > 8/18/2006
> >
> > 11:11
> >
> > POSITIVE FRICTION 7:20
> > ANCIENT ARMS 5:58
> > ME AND DEPRESSION 8:18
> > 4:28
> > FAMILY PICTURE 7:32
> > 4:50
> > I DON'T NEED A RIDDLE 5:21
> > WEST VIRGINIA RASTAFARI 11:04
> > 5:04
> > 6:20
> > I LIKE THE WAY YOU WALK GIRL 6:18
> > NO PLACE LIKE THE RIGHT TIME 4:45
> > 6:05
> > 3:54
> > BLUE SKY 5:01
> > RING OF FIRE 5:03
> > 9:35
> > CONSCIOUS EVOLUTION 12:26
> > TIDES OF TIME 4:55
> >
> > 1:15
> >
> > 1:19
> >
> > MR. KING 10:10
> > ROCK OF AGES 4:50
> >
> > 1:34
> >
> > Schoeps CCM4V's>Sound Device 722
> > FOB LOC KFC ZFC 12' From Stage
> >

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home