Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Dickey Betts and Great Southern Detroit 7/6/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> Busy this week setting up the golf course concessions and catering for the
Jamie Farr Owens Classic in Toledo. Long days of loads of physical work. I had
tonight penciled in on my calendar. I called Tom in Detroit the day before to
talk him into going. He said it was a 7 pm show. I called him at 4:50 to see
what time it started. He said it was in the paper to start at 5:00! I had at
least a 2 hour drive with traffic so it was not to be. I asked him to call the
number to verify this. He called back and said there was an opener and Dickey
would be on from 8-10. I was in and so was Tom.
>
> I left work and headed north on I-23. I stopped in Dearborn at La Shish for
some eats to take with me. A Kibbe sandwich and a Shwarma sandwich. Of course
some homous as well! The 2 sandwiches made it about 12 miles on I-94 East. I got
to downtown by the riverfront. Parking was $6-$10in the surrounding lots. I
found a spot on the street about 4 blocks away, grabbed my gear, and headed
over. The show was free. The venue was right in front of the twin GM buildings
on the waterfront. The stage was set up in a plaza, very little wind. It was
right on the river and you could hear the boat horns as they cruised by. There
across the river was Canada. I walked up to a roped off area to find a spot. I
looked inside this VIP area, and there was Tom setting up his 4v's. You can
never have too many 4v's, so I clamped on! We chatted for about 20 minutes until
Dickey came on just after 8:00. He had lots of new faces in his band. Dangerous
Dan was gone and he also had a new keyboard player. His son Duane played guitar
along with another new guitarist. He had a female percussionist, who also sang
back-up vocals.
>
> They opened the set with a great instrumental, High Falls. This segued into
One Way Out, with the keyboardist singing. Stange hearing Dickey cover a Gregg
song. A great Franklin's Tower>Blue Sky to everyone's delight. The heavy hitter
of the set was In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. A timeless classic, no doubt. Duane
and the other guitarist shared a few twin leads, but Dickey held court on many
of his expected songs. After Liz Reed, Dickey announce they were taking a break
and returning for another set!
>
> After about 20 minutes, they emerged and opened with a Back Where it All
Began. A couple of new tunes followed. Good to see Dickey still writing new
tunes. The highlight of the second set was Jessica. I actually called Farelli on
my drive back as I customarily do after a show. I told him they played his
girlfriend(Jessica). The crowd beckoned for an encore, and we got Ramblin' Man.
Everything but Southbound tonight. Almost 2 1/2 hours, and a free show at that!
The sound was very good. A bit of feedback after the 2nd song, but the guitar
tech found the ground problem. I felt compelled to stop at the MGM on the way
out of town. I found the only spot open at a $15.00 blackjack table. I won my
first hand. Then, I lose 6 in a row. I fought back and could not seem to get
into the black until I hit 3 in a row. I got up after 30 minutes and cashed in a
profit of $30.00. The 90 minute driove back needed at least 1 stop for
nourishment. Tonight, it would be Sliders! Yes folks, White Castle. My employees
paid dearly all day!
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Dickey Betts and Great Southern
> Rockin' on the Riverfront
> Detroit, Michigan
> 7/6/2006
>
> 8:01
>
> HIGH FALLS> 15:32
> ONE WAY OUT> 5:30
> HAVIN' A GOOD TIME 6:59
> COME INTO MY KITCHEN 5:57
> FRANKLIN'S TOWER> 1:54
> BLUE SKY 8:08
> WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN 6:01
> IN MEMORY OF ELIZABETH REED> 14:47
> DRUM SOLO> 6:19
> BASS AND DRUM SOLO> 1:37
> THIRD STONE JAM> :41
> IN MEMORY OF ELIZABETH REED :46
> BAND INTRODUCTIONS
>
> 9:21
>
> 9:41
>
> BACK WHERE IT ALL BEGAN> 13:25
> MAKES ME FEEL BETTER 7:40
> WHEN THAT GOOD TIME FEELING COMES AROUND 6:03
> SEVER TURNS 6:32
> JESSICA> 10:05
> MOUNTAIN JAM> :50
> JESSICA 4:55
>
> 10:36
>
> 10:38
>
> RAMBLIN' MAN 6:45
>
> 10:44
>
> Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722 24-48
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC 8th ROW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home