Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Widespread Panic Louisville 8-2-2006

> >
> > Hey Y'All,
> >
> > We were all pumped after the second set unfolded last night. What was in
store for us this evening? Ernie from Indy made the trip down for the show as
well as Tracy. I spoke to both of them and highly encouraged their prescence.
Nate was coming down after missing last night for the Crowes show. Was up early
and checked work emails and in touch with some of my managers with the usual the
problems. Very hungry and nothing was stopping me from going to Ramsi's for
lunch. Carrington, Tim, Amy, and Christy were going with me. We prepped in the
room and headed out at about noon. They take stock when I steer them to food on
the road. I guaranteed they wood love the food. You can take 20 people to this
place and everyone would still have to make tough choices to decide what to eat.
An awesome menu with some of the most creative food evah! Patrick and Eddie took
me there years ago, and I ALWAYS eat at least 1 meal there each trip to
Louisville. I endorsed the fried salmon sandwich on Focaccia for Carrington, the
Selma's Grouper Sandwich for Tim, the Goat Cheese Focaccia for Christy, the
Salmon Struedel for Amy, and I tried the Chicken Breast on a bed of Angel Hair
Pasta with a Gorgonzola Sauce. All received WOWS! Back to hotel to wait for Nate
and Ernie to come to town. We listened to last night's show and hung.
> >
> > We went over to the Brown to Drew and Kelly's room to visit Ernest T. Bass.
Then on in to the Palace. Tonight I had first row of pit in front of Dave. Same
spot as Chris and I were in for the Fox Theatre telecast. I gave the seats to
Jess and Jason, Louisville's favorite married couple, in exchange for their 2
seats on the aisle of row H. Perfect spot for recording! Drew, Carrington, Nate,
and I were all clamped to 1 stand. Pete, Mary, Tim, Tracy, Nate, Carrington,
Ashley, Cheryl, and I stayed in these seats the entire night. Amazing. Shane &
Christine, and Brent were across the aisle a couple of rows back.
> >
> > The boys hit the stage just before 8 without Keane. I had my fingers crossed
that Sam would be up there the entire night. Keane did play every song after the
opener. An A of D opener>Hatfield. Nice JB rapping including a line in reference
to Pabst Blue Ribbon. Bear's was a nice version. Keane handled the first solo
very nicely. Wait till ya hear what Sam does to the jam coming out of Bear's
though, smoking! I got my Genesis. Then came lots of heat! Cradle into a killer
Maggot. And spoken word Maggot at that. Pete and I did some recolecting and
think the last spoken word was the midwest run in 1997? I was calling for a
Chilly, and had the windscreens on the mics for protection. There it was! A
split version, much to our delight. The jam after mini drums sounded to me like
they could have gone into I'm So Glad. Next in the sandwich was some real
substance, Jack! And then back into Chilly. Great start to this show. Throw out
Give, and it was total money!
> >
> > After a 39 minute break, and 125 degree heat, round II. A Conrad then
Coconut opener was just about perfect as the ravinous crowd went nuts. Then a
Pieces and Thousage. I would have preferred a solid jam instead of stopping
after each of the 4 songs.Todd got to lead us through Down before a stellar
versioon of Rock. I love the part of the show when Dave rocks our world with the
drummers. Tonight it sounded like he was doing a Green-Eyed Lady bass jam. After
this was a trip down memory lane with the trifecta of Do What You
Like>Arlene>Postcard. I must admit, the DWYL was out of kilter. The timing was
weird in the first jam. They got back on track after a while. Last time I saw it
was RR 2002, and then before that in Reno 10/99. What followed was dirty! The
encore was a bit on the mellow side. Sam sat this out as he tended to his other
job by packing things up. I was very pleased by both sets tonight. I hope I can
make the Chicago shows while Sam is still guitar slingin' with these guys. It
all depends on work the next 6 days.
> >
> > Fun hangin' with Carrington, Cheryl, Ashley, Tim, Pete, Mary, Nate, Shane &
Christine, Jason and Jessica, Tiffany, Brent, John, Eddie & Patrick, Drew &
Kelly, Melissa & Connie, and the rest of you freaks! Nice chatting with Patrick
between sets. I will get you out to a show with me in Cleveland one of these
days! The party was not over by any stretch of the imagination. We all headed
over to the Lucky Strike for some midnight bowling. I usually bowl once every 6
years, although I did go in Atlanta about 2 years ago with David. We went
straight from the show with all our gear. A very cool venue with leather
couches, barely lit alleys, disco music, and cute cocktail waitresses. Did I say
venue? Time to get the rig out and cover the audio! I set up FOBB (Front of
Bowling Balls). I plan to listen to it soon to see what everyone was saying.
Should be good for a laugh or three. Carrington and Nate have already asked for
copies! Back to the barracks. Christy came to visit Tim and I. I still had to
pack and get my $&%#$^ together as I had a very early plane to catch to go back
to work. I did get a 90 minute nap before hitting the shuttle with Mary for the
airport.
> >
> > Well it is official, Jimmy Herring will be joining Panic for the fall tour.
Chameleon is a great adjective to describe Jimmy's playing. He can put himself
where he needs to be with any band he plays with. I remember seeing him with ARU
in the early nineties. Great talent. The first time I saw Jazz is Dead at Toad's
with Tracy Frank in 1998, he blew my mind. He never saw the Dead or listened to
them, yet here he was, shredding the lead guitar. I was moved. Saw him a few
more times that fall and early in 1999. Always enjoyed his work with Sipe in the
Apartment Project. A memorable show was Sipe, Fountain, Herring, and Lopes at
Manny's in NYC the fall of 1998. Jason and I were the only tapers. A fun night
out as I took 2 of my concession managers into the Big Apple from West Point. A
great night of music with a huge bar bill. In August 2002, I mail ordered for
the Terrapin Station shows at Alpine. I had a pair halfway back in the pavilion
for the first night, and front row Dead center the second. 39,000 people, and my
mail order was front row. First night we went down to about the 14th row and the
second night, I traded my front row for about the same spot. Three rigs and
about 12 decks in my legitimate seat. I was amazed at what Jimmy pulled off
those 2 nights. He was the glue holding it all together. And his work with Phil
& Friends, amazing. The Quintet is still my favorite version of Phil's different
incarnations. My only negative comment, why not Sam? Tonight, even with a few
mishaps, it was a trip down memory lane! Great selection of songs and very well
played. Whatever Sam does, I shall support his efforts. I have been seeing and
recording Outformation since there beginning in 2002, and can't wait to see some
more! If ya haven't seen Out411 yet, check them out. They don't hit the midwest,
so if you in the windy city for Panic, go to the aftershow!
> >
> > Here is how it went down:
> >
> > Widespread Panic
> > The Palace Theatre
> > Louisville, Kentucky
> > 8/2/2006
> >
> > 7:52
> >
> > *A of D > 3:34
> > Hatfield > 13:07
> > Bear's Gone Fishing > 10:57
> > Give 5:33
> > Genesis 5:55
> > From the Cradle > 4:08
> > #Maggot Brain > 6:25
> > Chilly Water > 5:00
> > Mini Drums > :40
> > I'm So Glad Jam > 2:40
> > Jack > 7:10
> > Chilly Water 3:06
> >
> > 8:59
> >
> > 9:38
> >
> > Conrad the Caterpillar 9:01
> > Coconut 8:35
> > Pickin' Up the Pieces 8:35
> > Thought Sausage 6:00
> > Down > 4:32
> > Rock > Jam> 12:33
> > Drums > 11:12
> > Drums & Bass > 6:10
> > Do What You Like > 9:29
> > Arlene > 13:00
> > Postcard 5:05
> >
> > 11:13
> >
> > 11:16
> >
> > ^May Your Ass Be Filled 5:55
> > None of Us Are Free 6:20
> >
> > 11:27
> >
> > *No John Keane
> > #Spoken Word Maggot Brain
> > ^John Keane on Pedal Steel
> > Sam played the entire show except for the encore
> >
> > Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> > FOB DFC KFC ZFC ROW H!You Know You're Church Is A Redneck Church...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home