Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Widespread Panic Louisville 8-1-2006

> >
> > Hey Y'All,
> >
> > I am about 10 reviews behind, but figured I had to get this one out quickly.
I missed the Memphis shows for the first time in years but did plan on going to
Louisville. Never miss shows in this grand old venue! I booked a room at the
Holiday Inn Downtown and was able to take advantage of my AARP card! Tim was
driving down from T-Town and would be sharing the room with me. I first heard
George would not be at the show late morning yesterday. As usual, I don't like
to spread rumors, so I keep quiet and figure I will believe it when I see it. I
hit the middle eastern restaurant 2 doors down from the Palace Theatre. A Shish
Twoork with garlic sauce and lots of pickeled turnups would hold me until after
the show. I went into the Palace at about 6:45, more to beat the oppressive
heat! At 7:00, the ushers opened the aisle doors and I made my way towards the
stage. Sure enough, there was Sam's Soldano at the far left of the stage. It was
true, George would not be in the house. It seemed a bit weird.
> >
> > Here is my take on the whole situation: I first met George at the Greek in
'02. I went backstage after each show. The first night, I introduced myself to
George, and right away, I could sense he was a truely genuine person! He was so
friendly and we talked for about 10 minutes. He had some HUGE shoes to fill, to
say the least. He was so humble it floored me. He has not changed one iota the
many times we got to speak over the years. Yes, I do like George. I know that he
has been bashed by many of the fans over the years, but it certainly was
undeserving in my book. He performed a tough job over the past 4 years. He gave
it his all night in, and night out. I will always respect him and wish him well
in whatever he does! I hear he may be opening a restaurant with some partners in
Oxford. I hope it is successful. I am always looking for a nice place to eat!
> >
> > I went into the pit as I had some uncirculated Outformation shows I spun
down for Sam. We chatted for a few and I told him to tear it up tonight. He said
he was ready. My seats were just at the edge of the overhang. I saw a stand
going up in the center a few rows ahead of me, so I went over to it. I figured I
could clamp on. There was Shane and Brent, in the exact spot as the last 2 trips
here! It all looked very familiar and they let me clamp on! Carrington clamped
as well. We sat in the 2 seats behind them, and yes, we stayed the whole night.
Lots of room and very comfortable all night, except for the 125 degreee heat!
Everyone was abuzz about the changeover. What was going to happen, Sam and John
Keane? At 7:46, we found out as Keane was on lead guitar for T. Light. Sam would
not play during the first set. Keane did nail the opening notes to Surprise
Valley. Not nuts about CTS or Crazy. The Fishin' meandered into my favorite
Panic song, DINER. It was over 16 minutes long, but was missing a little
something, Sam. I still enjoyed it and the Heroes that followed, my first of the
tour. This led into Jojo's Blackout. Many people posted he said "Going back to
Oxford, before I lose my mind". Total BS, I recoreded the show and we all
listened to it. The set was a bit choppy and inconsistant. At that point I
decided that John Keane is not the answer for lead guitar. He did rip some nice
leads and has in the past, but his stage prescence will be best suited as a
guest, not a lead. By the end of the set, we sere all soaking wet from the 125
degree inferno that the Palace turned into. We cherished the 33 minute break.
> >
> > Set II would be a much different story. Sam played the rest of the show to
our approval. The Michael Stanley tune, LGTSOTR was a super call. And it was
nailed! I actually called the I'm Not Alone. Chainsaw was a nice treat. The Take
Out>Porch was old school Panic! The best Porch I have heard in years, ovr 12
minutes! Nice having Dave do the Bass/Drums segment, always well received. The
Gimme>Low Rider was strong, as a dynamic jam came out of the Low Rider! Dave
slid us into the Stop/Go. Man was the chemistry working, only they cut Stop/Go a
bit short, to end the set with Makes Sense to Me. Being past 11:00, I was not
surprised by the one song encore, but a great choice to play Can't Find My Way
Home. I enjoyed this set, especially seeing Sam play an entire set, and not just
3-4 of the usual songs. Was this the shape of things to come?
> >
> > Aside from the sauna-like conditions, a great time. Great seats that we kept
all night. Fun hangin' with Carrington, Cheryl, Ashley, Tim, Pete, Mary, Shane &
Christine, Brent, Eddie & Patrick, Drew & Kelly, Melissa & Connie, and the rest
of you freaks! Where was Nate, oh yeah, he blew off the show to see the Crowes.
> >
> > After the show, we all headed to the hotel to party. I wanted to go to my
favorite Louisville restaurant, Ramsi's, but by the time we went to go, it was
almost 1:00 and too late. Late night dinner consisted of Churchill's homeade
Chicken Salad on 9 grain bread. Very tasty alternative. Here is how it went
down:
> >
> > Widespread Panic
> > The Palace Theatre
> > Louisville, Kentucky
> > 8/1/2006
> >
> > 7:46
> >
> > Travelin' Light 6:39
> > Surprise Valley > 10:37
> > Climb To Safety 6:44
> > Crazy 4:37
> > Fishin' > 6:51
> > Diner > 16:32
> > Heroes > 4:27
> > Blackout Blues 5:24
> >
> > 8:49
> >
> > 9:22
> >
> > Let's Get The Show On The Road 10:20
> > Sometimes 3:52
> > I'm Not Alone 7:48
> > Chainsaw City 10:20
> > The Take Out > 2:12
> > Porch Song > 12:31
> > Drum Solo > 9:04
> > Bass & Drum Solo> 2:18
> > Jam > 4:56
> > Gimme > 5:27
> > Low Rider > 10:12
> > Stop-Go > 7:54
> > Makes Sense To Me
> >
> > 11:00
> >
> > 11:04
> >
> > Can't Find My Way Home
> >
> > 11:09
> >
> > Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> > FOB DFC KFC ZFC ROW M!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home