Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Phil and Friends Columbus 7/14/2006

> >
> > Hey Y'All,
> >
> > Sorry for the delay, lots of work. So here I was faced at going through a
summer without seeing even 1 Phil and Friends show. I missed the home show in
Atlanta due to work. I was in the midst of working a 100+ hour week of physical,
stressful labor. I don't mind the 2 hour 45 minute drive down, but I was not
about to drive back at midnight and go to work at 5:00 am! Jeff Frank calls me
to ask if I am doing the Indy or Chicago shows. I told him the closest thing
would be Indy and told him my predicament. Tim was working in Columbus so my
usual "bad" influence, was not here to help me get back. Jeff was going to DTB
in Grand Rapids. He was convinced and excited to see 3 Phil shows in row. I left
him a key to my room. He got in sometime around 3 a.m. I got up at 4:30 and went
to work. The plan was to leave the golf tourney at 3, meet Jeff and hit the
road. I call him at 3:15 to let him know I am on the way. I get to my room that
smelled of heavy garlic as Jeff ate some middle eastern food just before I
arrived at 3:35. He had the air conditioning turned off and the room stunk! He
put a do not disturb sign on the door, so on top of a hot smelly room, I never
had my room cleaned! He hadn't even showered for the day yet! I pushed him
along. He moves like an 80 year old. I got a bit even as I ordered my dinner. We
picked it up at China Chef on our way to the expressway. The extra spicy chicken
with broccoli, with extra garlic, had his eyes burning! The 2 shrimp rolls were
exquisite! We hit Bowling Green and I drove the rest of the way. He would drive
home.
> >
> > We got to Promo West at about 7:20 for the 8 oclock show. I bought our
tickets as Jeff rechecked his taping gear at least 7 times! We go in and see the
tapers section on the lawn. We stop by and I asked if anyone wanted to run down
front with me. Tape Cat already was down there and got the boot. I was told as
we entered that taping was in the section only. I don't think so. I stayed in
the section and got my gear ready. I put a clamp on Mark's rig in case I decided
to stay, or get busted below and come back. The large pit was not filling very
fast. At about 7:50, I talked Pete into coming down front. We set up in the
middle in the back. Bill and his buddy spread out to give me some room. They
were the perfect "bookend" blockers! Awesome job you guys!
> >
> > Phil and Company hit the stage shortly after 8:00. Althea was not the
strongest opener I could pick, but the Other One that followed hit the spot.
Cryptical split the Ryan Adams composition of Cold Roses. Phil continues to
feature his songs at just about every show. We got a double shot of Candyman as
they played the Mississippi John Hurt version. This segued into a Hunter/Garcia
Candyman that just did not seem right. The pace was way too fast, like ragtime.
Casey Jones ended the abbreviated set. I looked down at Pete's V-3 and noticed
he had the HPF2 ON!!!!!!!!! Tainted by Jeff Frank? Since then, Jeff refuses to
use HPF2 as it is not "cool" anymore.
> >
> > The second set had some highlights. A Jam>Birdsong got things off to a nice
start. This flowed into one of my highlights, Watchtower. A Nobody Girl
sandwich, filled with China Doll. Not for me. Whether Joan or Phil sings China
Doll, I don't care for it. The set ended very strong with a delightful Unbroken
Chain>Wheel>China-Cat>Rider! A 9:15 Rider! That was very hot. The encore was
not earth shattering.
> >
> > It was not the best Phil show I have seen, that was for sure. I would rather
have Rob sing more leads. Too much Joan. After seeing a couple of years of the
quintet, other configurations of this band seem to pale in comparison. I did
enjoy the Chris Robinson addition last fall. I gave this show a 6 out of 10. Tim
thought I was much too generous. I still had a great time and thanks to Nate's
buddy, I was in good shape.
> >
> > During the 2nd set, I caught wind of the Spikedrivers cd release party at
Little Brothers. My last show there was in 1997 for the Hypnotic Clambake gig.
Jeff drove us there but started to get cold feet. I coaxed him inside to a full
room that was swinging! I threw my stand up in the middle of the raucous crowd.
I was rolling within 2 minutes of arriving, or 21 minutes after the closing note
at Promo West. Jeff T. and Pickle showed up during the first set. Jeff was
moping as he sat next to me. He continually sent me text messages threatening to
leave me there if we did not leave by 1:00 a.m. If it was up to Jeff, we would
have left after 5 minutes. Let's All go to Church sounded very good. I enjoyed
the Tennessee Heartthrob and Black Water. They closed out with the Dillinger
Ballad. Nate and Kate showed up. The music was very good, and the energy inside
was strong. The set ended and Jeff headed out to his car. I packed up and said
goodbye to our friends. I went backstage to thank Jesse, Megan, and Paul.
> >
> > HPF 2
> >
> > Here is how it went down:
> >
> > Phil and Friends
> > Promo West Pavilion
> > Columbus, Ohio
> > 7/14/2006
> >
> > 8:05
> >
> > *Althea > 10:25
> > *The Other One > 13:14
> > *Cold Roses > 6:43
> > Cryptical Envelopment > 5:17
> > Cold Roses 1:35
> > Candyman Blues > 7:05
> > Candyman 5:30
> > *Casey Jones 5:50
> >
> > 9:00
> >
> > 9:44
> >
> > *Jam> 2:55
> > *Bird Song > 12:07
> > *All Along the Watchtower > 10:57
> > Nobody Girl > 8:30
> > China Doll > 9:27
> > Nobody Girl > Jam> 9:01
> > *Unbroken Chain > 16:45
> > *The Wheel > 9:27
> > *China Cat Sunflower > 7:00
> > *I Know You Rider 9:15
> >
> > 11:19
> >
> > 11:22
> >
> > Donor Rap 1:20
> > Band Introductions 1:40
> >
> > 11:25
> >
> > A Little Piece For You 5:50
> >
> > 11:31
> >
> > *with Greg Osby on Saxaphone
> >
> > Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722 24-48
> > FOB DFC KFC ZFC!
> >

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home