Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Auburn Jam Bash 7/8/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> I ended up working all day Friday, and up early to work most of Saturday in
the oppressive heat. I saw the Auburn Jam Bash with 2 days of lots of music. I
missed Friday, but was thinking if I can leave work early afternoon on Saturday,
I can enjoy some music. I left work at about 2:00, and headed west on the Ohio
Turnpike towards Indiana. I cruised very fast and hit the gate at 4:00. I parked
near the side entrance in the campground and headed in with my gear. The gear
was all ready as I assembled it while I was driving. I went FOB and found Shawn
and Chris, 2 of my Indy taping buddies. I clamped on to Shawn and hit record.
The Shanti Groove was about 75% thru their set. The next song they invite Vince
Herman up to join the fun. He walks up to the mic and says "Everyone wish Z-Man
a Happy Birthday"! First of all, it was not my birhtday. Second, I was amazed he
spotted me within 3 minutes of me getting there! They played a couple of Bill
Monroe tunes, The Wheel Hoss and Rocky Road Blues. Next was a great version of
Sweet Louisiana. Haven't heard that since the Outformation late night on
6/24/2006!A great cover of Dylan's Buckets of Rain. They finished their set of
which I got to see about 40 minutes of. Since the festival was a bit behind,
Vince stayed up and went on with his set.
>
> A Vince set is always chock full of lots of interesting songs. He played many
of his old favorites and some nice covers. A Wake and Bake near the beginning of
the set got everyone going. The Amnesia was great to hear. The Johnny Cash cover
of the L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore was well received. I also enjoyed Bromberg's
Dangerman. He brought up some help via the Shantee Groove boys. He closed the
set with an inspired version of our departed friend Mark Vann's Funky Mountain
Fogdown. First one I've heard since his passing. It brought back many memories
of some great times! I got to hang with Vince after the set. I started to get
munched out and decided to taste the wares of the various vendors. I settled for
a Burrito Bowl from a local vendor. Very tasty.
>
> Next up was Railroad Earth. Haven't seen them since my birthday in March. They
played a kick-ass 95 minute set. I only wished they could have played another
hour! Chris, Shawn, and myself, were amazed that Jeff Frank would blow off
seeing this great band, to go see.....Liz Phair. He claims to love RRE. I can't
figure him out. After Vince intoduced the boys, they began their set with a Cold
Water. Next up was a personal favorite, Elko. The Arcadian Driftwood was a nice
cover. A long Smiling Like a Buddah, set up a fantastic set closer, New Lee
Highway Blues! I always loved seeing Bromberg do this one! After the set, I
spoke with Tim Carbone, RRE fiddle player. We spoke about Bromberg with me
telling him that he was one of my heroes in music. We got on the subject of
Sharon and I told him how I saw Bromberg at the Stanley Theatre in Utica, NY,
1978 do this one. Only that night, he had a stripper from the joint down the
road come in and dance to the song. Tim told me I saw him that night. He played
in the opening band! Talk about small world! Mike P. did a great job on sound.
You could clearly hear every instrument. Time to eat again. This time I settled
for a stuffed baked potato from a couple of guys closing shop. A loaded baked
potato with lots of fresh bacon and cheddar cheese for only a buck!
>
> Next up was Ekoostik Hookah. I saw these guys a couple of weeks ago for the
first time since they rejoined forces. Coming on at almost 9, we still expected
2 sets. A very appropriate opener, Sun Goes Down, and it did! Another Washboard
Annie and Harmonic Convergence for me. They brought up Jason from Shanti Groove
for 3 songs, one of which was Little Maggie. He also helped out on Somewhere
Down the Line, that included a short Drum Solo. A very long Back Seat followed
by the set closer, Ballad of Sam McCully. A 2 hour and 20 minute set. After
Vince helped out with the raffle, the boys played a 3 song encore, capped off by
Comforably Numb! Dan had the sound just right for this set. Thank you Dan! Time
for my midnight feeding. Ah, the crepe vendor! I ordered a vegetarian crepe. The
dude had 2 gas crepe burners. He poured out a smooth batter onto the 16" round
grill. He sauteed fresh onions, mushrooms, basil, and tomatoes. He put this on
the crepe along with fresh spinach a a bunch of Feta Cheese. Scrumptious! My
only suggestion, get either plastic or foam plates. A 1/2 penny paper plate
doesn't get it.
>
> Chris had me staying for the late night Lotus set. After waiting over an hour,
I had thoughts of leaving as I had a 2 hour ride back. I endured and Lotus came
on at about 1:15 a.m. Only saw them once before. They played about a 2 hour set.
i was amazed how many people trickled back to the main stage so late to see
these guys. They are not a vocal oriented band. They did throw in some samples
during a couple of tunes. The bass was cranked up, and had the place dancing
like crazy. They are fine musicians. I am not very familiar with their music or
song titles. Chris enjoys these guys quite a bit. By the end of the set, i was
ready to take my turn at the wheel for 2 hours of drive time. Not quite. After
saying goodbye to my friends, I headed back to my Jeep. A funny thing happened.
I ran into a gathering in front of Sue Ellen and David's RV at their camping
space. It was Vince, Jason, and Cliff of EH playing acoustic. My natural
reaction was to pull out my mics and begin recording. David went into his rv and
grabbed me his mic stand. I set up right in the middle of the throng of people.
It was like a camp fire sing a long! It lasted for the next 32 minutes. I
grabbed a grilled chicken pita sandwich with Tzaziki sauce and a side of Greek
salad. THEN, I got behind the wheel and headed east for my 2 hour ride. I
enjoyed listening to the recording as I drove. I also spoke to DP and Carrington
as they just got out of the Panic show in Berkeley at the Greek. Arrived back at
6:45 a.m., OUCH. Get to take a 90 minute nap and back to work Sunday morning!
>
> I met another Indy taper Kegan, and his girlfriend Dani. Met lots of other
great folks, got to hang in the back with lots of the musicians, and enjoyed
some of the epicurean delights. I met Tyler, who along with his dad, promoted
and ran the festival. He was very accomodating. I asked if he could shut off the
large 26 foot truck that was running to the right of the stage as you could hear
the motor running. He took care of it. Chris had an extra double size folding
chair that was VERY comfortable. A very nice layout for both music and camping.
It was surreal after dark with almost a full moon, fireworks going off
everywhere, sitting back and watching the traffic flow on I-69 as the band
played on! My only suggestion would be to allow the food vendors into the fenced
area where the music was. There was tons of room in there. Walking way out to
get somehing to eat was a pain in the ass. They offered Newcastle drafts that
went for for $4.00 for a 14 oz. , and $8.00 for a 32 oz. I was able to access ac
power to chargfe my batteries during the night. Great hanging with the other 4
tapers, Bradley and Lisa, and everyone else. A nice treat having Buddy work the
lights again! Very nice out in the field of dreams!
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Shanti Groove
> Kruse Auction
> Auburn, Indiana
> 7/8/2006
>
> 3:45
>
> ? 4:50
> *THE WHEEL HOSS> 4:04
> *ROCKY ROAD BLUES 5:30
> *SWEET LOUISIANA> 4:57
> *ONE WAY OUT> 1:11
> *SWEET LOUISIANA :41
> *BUCKETS OF RAIN> 5:09
> *TAKE ME BACK TO TULSA 4:56
> VANN GO BIG 3:
>
> 4:24
>
> Schoeps CCM4V's>Sound Devices 722
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC!
>
> Vince Herman
> Kruse Auction
> Auburn, Indiana
> 7/8/2006
>
> 4:24
>
> FUZZY LITTLE HIPPIE GIRL 2:52
> GIRL WITH THE BIGGEST HAIR AND LONGEST NAILS 1:15
> EVERYTHING IS ROUND 3:06
> ZUKI DOG> 1:24
> ? 2:35
> WAKE AND BAKE 2:50
> AMNESIA 2:58
> THE L & N DON'T STOP HERE ANYMORE 4:35
> DO THE BOOGIE 4:20
> DANGER MAN 2:46
> *PITTSBURGH BEER >:37
> *I LONG FOR THE OLD HOME 4:10
> *#^BIG SANDY RIVER 6:30
> &#$@THE SHITFLY WITH THE RAINBOW EYES 4:41
> *#$@+I'M GONNA LIVE IT HIGH 5:16
> *#$@+MULE SKINNER BLUES 6:50 (Vince on Mandolin)
> *#$@+FUNKY MOUNTAIN FOGDOWN
>
> 5:29
>
> *with Jason Fluorney of Shanti Groove
> #with Johnny of Shanti Groove
> ^with Bassist of Shanti Groove
> $with Cliff Starbuck on Bass
> @with Shanti Groove guitarist
> +with Shanti Groove drummer
>
> Schoeps CCM4V's>Sound Devices 722
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC!
>
> Railroad Earth
> Kruse Auction
> Auburn, Indiana
> 7/8/2006
>
> 6:20
>
> SOUNDCHECK 7:30
> VINCE HERMAN INTRODUCES THE BOYS 2:16
> COLD WATER 4:321
> ELKO 8:55
> CAME UP SMILING 7:39
> STILLWATER GETAWAY 11:06
> ARCADIAN DRIFTWOOD 9:40
> CARRYING COAL TO NEWCASTLE> 7:58
> MISSION MAY 14:02
> WATERFOUNTAIN QUICKSAND 5:05
> JOHN'S JIG> 4:30
> SMILING LIKE A BUDDAH 12:55
> NEW LEE HIGHWAY BLUES/FIDDLEE 10:15
>
> 7:55
>
> Schoeps CCM4V's>Sound Devices 722
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC!
>
> Ekoostik Hookah
> Kruse Auction
> Auburn, Indiana
> 7/8/2006
>
> 8:54
>
> VINCE INTRODUCES THE BOYS 2:30
> SUN GOES DOWN 8:18
> SURE CURE FOR THE BLUES 9:20
> WASHBOARD ANNIE 7:45
> CHARLEMAGNE 5:01
> SO THEY SAY 8:51
> HARMONIC CONVERGENCE 7:25
> COMING BACK TO ME 5:57
> EMMA 7:37
> *LITTLE MAGGIE 5:45
> *? 7:32
> *SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE> 5:46
> DRUM SOLO>
> *SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE 6:42
> BATS IN THE BELFREY 6:43
> THUMPER 10:09
> BACK SEAT 15:15
> ? 6:12
> BALLAD OF SAM McCULLY 12:
>
> 11:11
>
> VINCE AND THE RAFFLE 6:12
>
> 11:17
>
> #PRICE OF GAS 6:20
> WATER BEAR 16:57
> COMFORTABLY NUMB 11:25
>
> 11:51
>
> *with Jason of Shanti Groove
> #with Vince Herman
>
> Schoeps CCM4V's>Sound Devices 722
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC!
>
> Lotus
> Kruse Auction
> Auburn, Indiana
> 7/8/200
>
> 1:15
>
> Nematode 14:00
> Epidemic 6:46
> Tip of the Tongue 11:37
> Arupa
> Trance 13:01
> Sid> 10:40
> Livingston Storm 13:27
> Sunrain> 12:52
> Did Fatt> 9:07
> Sunrain 8:05
> Jump Off 14:55
>
> 3:10
>
> Schoeps CCM4V's>Sound Devices 722
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC!
>
> Vince Herman, Jason Fluorney, and Cliff Starbuck
> Campsite
> Kruse Auction
> Auburn, Indiana
> 7/8/200
>
> 3:30
>
> 4:02
>
> Schoeps CCM4V's>Sound Devices 722
> FOC(Front of Camper) DFC KFC ZFC!
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home