Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Peter Rowan/Tony Rice Quartet Ann Arbor, Michigan 5/22/2005

Hey Y'All,
>
> I almost went more than a week without a show, but saw this one in the works on Friday. I left the office and headed up to Ann Arbor around 5:30. I got there at about 6:40 and hit the line. BC called me from the line at the Tabernacle as he was going to see Nine Inch Nails. Where is the setlist? Did Sloan tape the show? It was all the way to the Subway shop by then. I got in at about 7:10 as I got my ticket in front. It was basically sold out. I headed for my usual spot in the 4 seat row directly in front of the sound board. Jeff and I were hoping to ask permission for the board but no sound person, so at 7:25, I grabbed the patch. The soundman came out after that and let us have it with the stipulation, "no trade". Claire Lynch Band opened up and played almost a one hour set. I haven't seen her in at least 4-5 years, since before she had her baby. She had some very capable musicians, Jim Herst, David Harvey, and Missy Raines on the stand up bass. They were very solid and a good choice to open the show. I saw many of the usual suspects, Jeff and Ruth, Kevin, David, Steve, Jim and his wife. Imet some new DTB fans, Amanda and Steve, as well as Matthew. Jeff and Ruth were in their customary seats in the third row. I don't think I ever was at a show where I didn't see those guys at the Ark! The sound was great as it always is. The Ark was actually built for sound. Hubie told me he saw the show in Chicago and loved it. I was hoping he could take Jeff Frank so he could broaden his musical horizons.
>
> Time for the main event. Peter and Tony took the stage. The Quartet was rounded out by Brynn Bright on stand up bass, and Sharon Gilcrest on mandolin. Brynn has been with Pete for some time and Sharon is relatively new. She was steady, as she did not take too many chances. It was a guitar driven performance by the maestro Mr. Rice and Peter. Peter did play the mando on one occasion. Tony is the consumate pro, a very serious guitar picker! I have seen Peter a ton of times, but he always entertains me. The downside was a relatively short set. With so many favorites and so little time, we had to accept what we were afforded. My highlights were the Panama Red, Walls of Time, Moonlight Midnight, and Hobo Song. With some songs reaching 9 minutes, they showed their jamband trump card. They dedicated Harvest Go To Seed to Vassar, just out of the hospital. They also dedicated 2 songs to Jimmy Martin, who recently departed. Does',t every bluegrass band cover his songs? Claire did one in her set. Peter wants me to make him a soundboard disc. I plan on sending a note asking that I distribute the show so I can get it out. I think he will be cool with it. I got to listen to most of it during my 1 hour ride back to Toledo. Here is how it went down:
>
> Claire Lynch Band
> The Ark
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 5/22/2005
>
> 7:40
>
> MOVIN ON MY MIND 3:37
> I'M GOIN' UP 3:55
> HEY LONESOME 3:12
> MISSIONARY RIDGE 4:30
> BAND INTORDUCTIONS 2:30
> TATOR PATCH 4:20
> WHO KNOWS WHAT TOMORROW MAY BRING 5:05 (Monitor problems had the 1st 2 minutes repeated)
> THIS OLD GUITAR 5:35
> THIBIDEAUX IS MY NAME 4:
> SAVANNAH 3:40
> LOST ENGINE 5:00
> JEALOUSY 4:25
> FREIGHT TRAIN BOGGIE 3:00
>
> 8:33 (53:55)
>
> 8:35
>
> STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED 4:22
>
> 8:38 (59:00)
>
> SOUNDBOARD>DAP1 48K
>
>
> Peter Rowan/Tony Rice Quartet
> The Ark
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 5/22/2005
>
> 9:09
>
> YOU WERE THERE FOR ME 4:12
> LAY MY LONESOME DOWN 6:05
> PANAMA RED 3:34
> COME BACK TO OLD SANTA FE 4:43
> I'M THE WILD MUSTANG, I'LL ALWAYS RUN FREE 7:53
> ONE MORE LIFETIME LOVIN' YOU 9:20
> MOONLIGHT MIDNIGHT 8:50
> LET THE HARVEST GO TO SEED 5:50
> SUNNY SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN 4:45
> OCEAN OF DIAMONDS - BLUEST OF BLUE 4:50
> WALLS OF TIME 8:55
>
> 10:17 (1:09:05)
>
> 10:19
>
> HOBO SONG 4:40
>
> 10:24 (1:14:20)
>
> SOUNDBOARD>DAP1 48K
>
>
> Braves beat the Mets 8-6! Howard Morris, the best rock thrower in Mayberry has died of natural causes in Hollywood.
>
> Late,
> Z-Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home