Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Codetalkers Cleveland 5/17/2006

Codetalkers Cleveland 5/17/2006
>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> I saw this one on the docket a couple of weeks ago. Tim was under the weather so it was up to me to fly solo. I had a catered event and a 4:00 meeting in Findlay, Ohio. I left the campus at 5:30 for the 3 hour drive. Show was supposed to start at 8:30ish. Got there at 8:20. The damn Indians had a home game. By the way, they shut out the Royals 5-0. Interesting piece of trivia, Len Barker threw his perfect game just over 25 years ago this week, 5/15/81. Also, 5/15/70 was one of my favorite Dead shows of all time! Jerry played Pedal Steel for the New Riders set prior to the monster Dead sets! A must for all collections. Wilbert's is right outside right field. Parking was a bitch, and $15.00! I found a spot in the lot in front of Wilbert's and argued with the attendant about the $10.00 over usual price. I showed him my gear and told him I was not there to audio tape an Indians game that had a crowd of 15,000 people. We compromised. I walked in and was greeted by Mark at the door. He also was accomodating. The place was half filled as folks were watching the Cavs vs. Pistons game. Steve R. and Terry were NOT in attendance. I invited Patrick to meet me but I guess he got busy on a project at home. For some coincidnece, MY table was vacant in the middle of all the folks up front. I set up DFC about 18' from stage, yes! The big screen was pulled down, hiding the entire small stage. After I set up, I chewed the fat with Bobby. He was happy to have Home Team Atlanta in the house! We reminisced about Smith's Olde Bar and the family crew of Jimbo, Parrish, and Dillon. We went in back to prepare for the show with Tyler and Ted. Ted grew up in Warren, Ohio, and had some of his peeps in the house including his Dad.
>
> I have mentioned in a couple of earlier reviews that I love the food here. I ALWAYS end up with the Seared Tuna Salad and every time, I say, next time, I have to try something different. I went over to talk to Mike, the proud owner. He suggested the Bistro Salad. I asked if I can pay extra and get some seared tuna. Done deal! By know, I was ready for some music. The game still had 8 minutes left and we all know 8 minutes could be 25 minutes! The crowd was intense as the game wound down. With less than 5 seconds and Detroit with the ball, I went up and told Booby Lee, "If this damn game goes to overtime, I will pull down the screen so they can play". Tough defense won the game as the boys were tuning. Instantly after the horn had sounded and the place went bonkers, the screen went up and I got my opener request, When the World Comes Tumbling Down! My salad was delivered by now. Mike, it was excellent. Mixed Field Greens with toasted pine nuts, dried cranberries, Bleu Cheese crumbles, and a zesty French dressing, yum! Next up waas my other request, Welcome to Hawaii. Bobby asked what else I wanted to hear. I did not want this to be my personal show so I was wide open to anything they played. The Air Tran Woman was hilarious and spaced out at the end to go with the Outer Space that followed. Bobby gave us some nice sound effects. Ted cracked me up during the I'm on a Speedway as he held the monster upright bass sideways and was slammin' it! If y'all know Ted, his bass is almost twice as big as him! The Sword Crosser had Tyler treat us to a nice drum solo sandwiched in the middle. The over 2 hour set was very well received by the crowd. They were raucously cheering and we saw the boys get right back up for Body in the Lake>Air Tran Woman. Yes, back into it as they played it much earlier.
>
> Since we moved to Atlanta in 1987, I have loved seeing the Colonel. I must say, these guys can throw it down as a three piece! There's no holding em' back. Col. Bruce will continue to play some of the local gigs down south. Too much road is too much for him to endure. We will all welcome the chance to see him, but go out and support these guys. They have really come around in the last 5 years. They have a great deal of new material. I was hoping we might get Ike Stubblefield up here as it is close to his territory, Toledo. I have gotten to love seeing shows here as the set up lends to great recordings, and I get to chow down on great food! Jesse, my Cleveland taper buddy showed up 29 minutes into the show. He was watching the Cav's game. You shoulda watched it here! Tim from Sultans of Bing was also in the house grooving to the show. His band will be at Nelson Ledges this weekend as part of the Mayflowers and Musicfest. BTW, Bobby will be doing an interview on NPR soon. Check the website to find out when it will be aired. Scott did a nice job mixing sound, only one major feedback but he was all over it.
>
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Codetalkers
> Wilbert's
> Cleveland, Ohio
> 5/17/2006
>
> 9:48
>
> WHEN THE WORLD COMES TUMBLING DOWN 7:02
> WELCOME TO HAWAII> 8:12
> REVOLUTIONIZE> 8:09
> INNOCENT MAN> 5:59
> ?> 7:37
> AIR TRAN WOMAN> 10:40
> OUTER SPACE> 11:14
> SPACE> 2:40
> TAKE A CHANCE?> 16:03
> I'M ON A SPEEDWAY> 9:58
> SWORD CROSSER> 5:10
> DRUM SOLO> 3:33
> SWORD CROSSER 3:09
> ? 14:30
> ? 7:35
> IKE STUBBLEFIELD 6:35
>
> 11:53
>
> 11:53
>
> BASS SOLO>
> BODY IN THE LAKE> 10:04
> AIR TRAN WOMAN 6:20
>
> 12:09
>
> Schoeps MK4'S>KC5>CMC6>Sound Device 722 24-96
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC 18' FROM STAGE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home