Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Marshall Crenshaw Ann Arbor 5/21/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> Spent most of the day working in the office. Spoke to Brian about going up to Ann Arbor and meet him at the Marshall Crenshaw show. I had my plan in place to leave Toledo at 5:00 sharp, to allow my time for some evening eats at Whole Foods in Ann Arbor. I was hoping the store recovered and was in good shape for my appetite. I tried to talk Tim into going but he had plans. So, for the second night in a row, in Ann Arbor, I was solo. Hadn't seen Marshall in at least 20 years. With the thought of sending Nate his MK4's back Monday, I needed a swan song! Got to Whole Foods at about 6:00. The hot food bar had raised the bar to where it normally was, thank you. I grabbed some Chipolte Briskett and some veggies. I tried a new item, redskin potato salad with blue cheese crumbles, yum. Do they do this in the Ridgewood store Mark? I also got a small container of Bison Chili, aslo very good. Needed some extra heat, but tasty. Extra sharp New York cheddar on sale. Growing up in New York, I always thought we had the best NY State sharp cheddar. Wisconsin, where's that?
>
> In the Jeep and ate on the way to the Ark. I found a great spot around the corner on the street. I stashed the 722 and the MK4's in the small bag. I headed for the middle section and grabbed a spot in the 8th row, as the first 7 are reserved. If I was as presegious and important as Jeff, Ruth, and Brian, I would be in the 2nd row! I saw Jeff walk in with a mic stand and was surprised as MC is not taper friendly. I ran back to the car as I wanted to grab the small mic stand. I set up very low in the row. When the lights went out, the emcee made the "rules" announcement. No flash photography and no taping. I kinda felt I was okay with the 722 hard drive, as I was actually not "taping". The trio came on at about 7:45. They sounded pretty darn good after all these years. We all remembered the 2nd song Someday, Someway which is probably his most famous song. I enjoyed the Dime a Dozen Guy. They actually played a few new tunes, good to see he is still writing creatively. The new one Sunday Blues was good. After the Salvation, Marshall mentioned that the Pistons won that day against the Cavaliers. The Whenever You're on My Mind. My favorite of the night was the setender, the Richard Thompson song, Waiting for Valerie. For the encore, he brought his brother Robert up to play drums on Marianne. Amazing, but even at this show someone yelled Free Bird! The show was short and sweet. We were out of the show just after 9:00. Where was Kevin L? On the road back to Ohio.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Marshall Crenshaw Trio
> The Ark
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 5/21/2006
>
> 7:45
>
> INTRO 2:00
> FANTASTIC PLAN OF LOVE 5:30
> SOMEDAY, SOMEWAY 3:10
> I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU 2:35
> DIME A DOZEN GUY 4:52
> ? 3:25
> 2541 3:45
> SUNDAY BLUES 4:15
> SALVATION 5:10
> CYNICAL GIRL 2:50
> WHENEVER YOU'RE ON MY MIND 3:24
> YOU'RE MY FAVORITE WASTE OF TIME 4:03
> 19TH NERVOUS BREAKDOWN 5:16
> MY HEART ? 5:18
> WHAT DO YOU DREAM OF 4:00
> WAITING FOR VALERIE 4:15
>
> 8:47
>
> 8:50
>
> *MARIANNE 4:58
> WHAT I DIDN'T WANT TO DO 5:40
>
> 8:59
>
> * With Robert Crenshaw on Drums
>
> Shoeps MK4'S>KC5>CMC6>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> DFC KFC ZFC 7TH ROW!
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home