Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Ragbirds Ann Arbor 5/20/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> I had to work all day up at my account on Lake Erie. I spoke with Adam as he was headed to see Pearl Jam in Cleveland at the Gund. I saw some loose tickets scattered on Ticketbastard but was not sure if I could leave work early enough to make the trip. He called and spoke of the security after he asked about the taping policy. They said if you try to bring in recorders you have 2 choices, either take them back to your car, or let us throw them away. Pretty damn harsh. They also had walk-thru metal detectors making it tough. I did not push getting done at work and decided to stay at work. I headed down to the office and had second thoughts. I wanted to see a show tonight and that was all there was to it. I checked out the area on the computer and saw The Ragbirds were at the Espresso Royale Caffe in Ann Arbor from 9-11 for free. Hmmmm, a free show 1 hour away, with a band I just saw last Saturday and enjoyed.... You guessed it, in the Jeep at 7:15, just about enough time to stop at Whole Foods for some evening eats to go. Got there at 8:15 and the store was the slowest I have ever seen it. The hot food counter looked pretty depleted, never seen it like that either. I managed to get my share of Chipolte Brisket and Eggplant Parmesan. I ate in the Jeep as I headed to 2264 S. Main as the website listed. I got there to see the only emploee outside smoking with not a sole in sight. Was the show cancelled? She said there was never any entertainment. She called the other location downtown and they confirmed the show. I rushed down there and got inside just before 8:55. The place was pretty full and there was MY table DFC in front! I was set to go by 9:00. Erin came over and said hey to me. I was so surprised she remembered me as we only met last Saturday and talked maybe 2 minutes. I handed her the disc of last weeks performance. All the tables were filled, the stuffed chairs were all filled, and lots of folks were standing.
>
> How many times have we taped at the Variety in Atlanta, and every show we record at least 1 if not 10 beer bottles hitting the floor and rolling? Or how many times have we recorded breaks on the pool tables at the Magic Stick in Detroit? Well, tonight I had to contend with coffee grinders and blenders for frozen drinks. A couple of women were sitting at the table next to me with two pots of tea and CHINA cups. I could see what might happen and asked them to try and be cognizent of the fact I was recording. They were cool. They kicked off their set shortly after 9:00 with Brave New Beat, a song I heard last week. I enjoyed this tango very much. The next song Tipibaya featured Erin starting on mandolin and switching to violin halfway through. I actually got to see quite a few different songs as they had a 2 hour slot, made up of 2 sets. There were some traditional Irish tunes such as Jacky Tar. The Edie Brickell cover of What I am in the middle of the set was terrific. They closed with a built up, fast paced Tarantella. Time for a very short set break.
>
> I asked Erin to come over to the computer as I pulled up the Ragbirds review I wrote from last week on Tapers Section. She enjoyed reading my thoughts. In 16 minutes, they were back at it as they opened up with a Bassy Talla with a percussion solo in the middle. Tim and Randall work very well together, almost like a left hand and a right hand. Another traditional Irish tune, Red-Haired Boy just before the Reggae sound of Narcissick. As they did last week, they closed the show with Dununba. Halfway through Erin plays a violin lead while all four of the guys are on percussion. After the show, I told her to me, it is definitely a different song. She kind of agreed and told me it was called Swallow Tail Jig. The crowd stayed for both sets and were calling too hard for them not to play one more tune. The choice was the Paul Simon cover of Diamonds on the Souls of Our Shoes. Very nice touch. What was really nice was walking out of a show without feeling like I smoked 1/2 a pack of cigarettes and my eyes not burning, or smeeling like an ashtray. BTW, Tim on percussion looks just like our fellow Atlantan, Steve Simpson. I did many double takes.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> The Ragbirds
> Espresso Royale Caffe
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 5/20/2006
>
> 9:08
>
> BRAVE NEW BEAT 5:42
> TIPIBAYA 6:42
> MARIBAYASSA 6:07
> THE YPSILANTI SONG 4:34
> WHAT i AM 4:48
> MEDICINE 3:17
> BETTER 5:19
> ENEMY 7:08
> JACKY TAR 3:35
> RELIGION 5:34
> TARANTELLA 5:42
>
> 10:05
>
> 10:21
>
> BASSY TALLA> 6:25
> PERCUSSION SOLO> :42
> BASSY TALLA 2:22
> LOVE'S GREAT JOKE> 3:51
> HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ED 1:32
> RED-HAIRED BOY 2:55
> NARCISSICK 5:36
> GOOD 7:07
> BELIEVE IT 3:22
> DUNUNBA> 4:05
> SWALLOW TAIL JIG 2:19
>
> 11:01
>
> 11:02
>
> DIAMONDS ON THE SOLES OF HER SHOES 6:02
>
> 11:07
>
> SCHOEPS MK4'S>KC5>CMC6>SOUND DEVICES 722 24-96
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC 6' FROM STAGE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home