Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Pearl Jam Auburn Hills 5/22/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> With the thought of seeing three shows in three nights in Michigan, and a good ticket available, I decided to hit this show. I drove up to Ypsilanti and met Aaron. Another one of those people you trade emails with and finally get to meet. We then headed up I 23>I 59> I 75. We parked in the employee lot right next to the exit. Anyone that has been stuck in this $&%$#% lot, could appreciate our planning. We hooked up with Adam and Jason and another friend from Germany here to do 7 shows. Jason cooked us a burger as the Weber was smoking when we approached. It certainly caught my attention as I was starving. Very tasty. The Palace "Guard", was on the prowl and they stopped by and told us not to bring back packs, fanny packs, or purses in to the show. I asked the security guy, Bruce, about small recorders. They had not been allowed in other venues this tour. We took the approach that the band is cool with it and Adam even printed out the piece from their website. He read it and said he did not know. I saw his radio and asked if he could call the boss and inquire. He told the security desk about the band's post and we got the okay for "small" hand held, no external mics or wires. It was at that point that I talked myself into attempting to get the 722 in. Aaron was all about that as well. There was no way I could get the MK4's, bodies, and 15' active cables in as well. I think the only reason I was going to attempt crotching the 722 was because the Rabbi took care of business when I was born, and that made enough room in my "tighty whities". We opted to run the DPA 4061.
>
> We approached the gates and they were using hand held metal detectors. i picked a line with a female security person. She made me undo my shirt and my jacket. The detecor was right over my privates and she asked what I had. i told her it was my belt. As soon as i passed through, i yanked it out laughing as we climbed the stairs. It was funny.
>
> Adam hooked us with very good seats, 19th row. Eddie came out as we knew he would as we saw the stool for him to sit beforehand. He only played one song, Gone, and then introduced My Morning Jacket. I have not seen these guys in over a year. I enjoyed their 38 minute set. I enjoyed the first tune where the one guitarist played a very nice pedal steel. They closed with their 2 very popular songs, also their longest songs of the set. It was too bad that the place was only about 35% full. The sound was good and we did not have a bunch of yahoos and idiots surrounding us. But that would soon change!
>
> After a 40 minute stage changeover, Pearl Jam hit the stage. Now the place was pretty much full, especially the floor. We heard the opening notes of Long Road and the place went nuts. We had 2 grown men in front to the right who sang EVERY song. We had a couple behind us that talked more than listened to the show. I do like harmonies, but not by 14,000 people. It has been 19 months since my last PJ show, and I soon realized that these shows are huge sing-a-longs. The music was very good, the set selection featured some nice choices. The sound was good. I thought they hung the PA stacks too high towards the ceiling. I enjoyed a couple of their new songs such as Severed Hand, Worldwide Suicide, and Inside Job. I loved that double neck guitar on the latter with a 12 string and a 6 string. We got some of the nice oldies such as Corduroy (strange hearing it in the 2nd slot), Even Flow, Jeremy, and an awesome Rearview Mirror. That was about the longest song of the night clocking in at 10:20. After Animal, Eddie made reference to the Pistons winning their series in this building the night before. The set lasted about an hour and 25 minutes. The first encore was about 29 minutes, and the second encore was about 30 minutes. They tacked on a Yellow Ledbetter>Star Spangled Banner to close things out. Eddie polished off his second bottle of wine by then. They do give you your moneysworth. We had a glitch and lost 12 minutes at the end of the 1st encore and part of the 2nd encore. One note, they aborted Nothing Man after they had a train wreck 1:35 into the song. They did regroup and pulled it off. After the show, we hit the car and headed back to Ypsilanti, and then I headed south to Toledo. We listened to the show most of the ride. It seems there is a magnet in the 4061's that attracts clappers and yappers. Not a great tape mostly due to the crowd. We did have a very good time anyways.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Pearl Jam
> Palace of Auburn Hills
> Auburn Hills, Michigan
> 5/22/2006
>
> Pre-set Eddie Solo
>
> 7:27
>
> gone 5:00
>
> 7:32
>
> 8:50
>
> long road 7:00
> corduroy 4:50
> worldwide suicide 3:43
> severed hand 3:57
> animal 2:40
> marker in the sand 5:44
> in hiding 4:55
> even flow 7:25
> I am mine 3:45
> army reserve 4:03
> insignificance 5:02
> garden 4:03
> life wasted reprise> :55
> life wasted 3:57
> state of love and trust 3:47
> come back 5:31
> Jeremy 5:10
> rearview mirror 10:20
>
> 10:15
>
> 10:21
>
> First Encore
>
> man of the hour 6:15
> elderly woman... 5:04
> nothing man (aborted) 1:35
> nothing man 4:28
> inside job 6:12
> alive 6:50
>
> 10:49
>
> 10:55
>
> Second Encore.._
>
> whipping> 2:49
> do the evolution 3:20
> comatose 2:40
> given to fly 3:50
> why go 3:27
> porch 5:00
> kick out the jams 4:30
> yellow ledbetter> 4:20
> star spangled banner 2:00
>
> 11:33
>
> DPA 4061>JV3>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> FOB RFC KFC ZFC 19TH ROW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home