Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Johnny Winter/Charlie Musselwhite Ann Arbor 5/31/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> This past weekend, I ended up working Friday thru Monday about 15 hours each day. That meant my plans to see either Summer Camp (3 nights of moe), or Hookahville (2 nights of Hookah), went bye bye. I had to re-open my newest account for the summer season on Lake Erie. I left work at about 5:00 and went to get my gear and change. I headed up 23 North to Ann Arbor. If I husseled, I could hit Whole Foods on my way to the Ark. I talked to Brian in Ann Arbor and he said the radar was looking ugly, more storms on the way. I thought about this show last week even though it was long sold out. In and out of Whole Foods with some Chipolte Brisket and some Irish sharp cheddar cheese in 10 minutes. I found a spot on the street 2 blocks away and made my way to the Ark at 7:30 where there was a long line filing in. I found a ticket as I walked up and put my bag behind my shirt and went in. I have always enjoyed Charlie Musselwhite, and was hoping he would join Johnny for his set also. He was fabulous at Warren's Christmas Jam when he sat in with everyone.
>
> As I walked in, there was Mudfoot at the soundboard. Hadn't seen him in about 4 months. I grabbed a seat in the row just beyond the 6 rows of reserved seating, right in the middle. I saw Ruth, Jim, and Laurie, but did not get a chance to talk as time was tight. Charlie came on just after 8:00. He had a 4 piece band that were quite tight. He was the master of ceremony. They kicked off the set with a nice Gone Too Long.He played an assortment of blues tunes. The Church is Out and Black Water were sweet. He played about 45 minutes, but the crowd was not about to let him leave without an encore. He played several tunes from his newest release, DELTA HARDWARE. There was about 25 minutes to switch out the stage. I chatted with Brian. Never got to chat with Jeff, but believe me, he was there as always!
>
> There were a few empty seats in the last row of reserved, so I helped myself, in the middle of course. The lights went down and the band took the stage minus Johnny. Another guitarist was up there in his place, and quite good. After the first song, Johnny came up and replaced the guitarist. He sat n the middle of the stage with his short neck guitar. As soon as he plugged in, you could hear the buzz. It was there to stay. Halfway through the set, I went over and said something to Mudfoot as it was very apparent between songs and even on slow, mellow parts. His vocals were a bit on the low side also. It could be he just doesn't have the old pipes. His first song was a great rendition of Hideaway. Always liked that song. I remember the version on my Dead Bootleg from the Harding Theatre from 11/71. Next up was Sugar-Coated Love. He played some very solid covers such as the Ray Charles nugget, Blackjack, and a great verson of Muddy Waters' Hoochie Coochie Man. He closed out the short set with Johnny Guitar. The power trio was dishin' out the blues and the crowd got them back for a Mojo Boogie and another cover, Highway 61 for the encore. Johnny played a different guitar, and the buzz was gone. He has aged some, but those long narrow fingers still had the magic. Charlie never did stick around to join them. That was what I wanted. If you are in Portland on 6/4/2006, go check out this blues guitar legend at the Aladdin Theatre.
>
> After the show, I was in mourning as the New York Pizza Depot was already closed, a sure sign that it was summer in Ann Arbor. Back in the Jeep and headed south to Ohio. I thought Tim F. was going to meet me, oh well, his loss. Here is how it went down:
>
> Charlie Musselwhite
> The Ark
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 5/31/2006
>
> 8:05
>
> GONE TOO LONG 5:20
> ? 3:57
> CHURCH IS OUT 5:21
> SURE DON'T HAVE A CLUE 5:39
> BLACK WATER 7:23
> CLARKSDALE BOOGIE 3:42
> ? 3:52
> ? 4:02
> LONG AND TALL 4:43
> BAND INTODUCTIONS
>
> 8:49
>
> 8:51
>
> ? 9:11
>
> 8:59
>
> Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722
> DFC KFC ZFC
>
>
> Johnny Winter
> The Ark
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 5/31/2006
>
> 9:25
>
> *INTRO SONG 5:17
> HIDEAWAY 5:58
> SUGAR-COATED LOVE 5:57
> SHE LIKES TO BOOGIE REAL LOW 5:54
> START OVER AGAIN 5:32
> BLACKJACK 9:24
> ? > 3:22
> ? > 5:40
> MUDDY WATERS INTRO> 4:22
> HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN 5:28
> JOHNNY GUITAR 6:56
>
> 10:28
>
> 10:30
>
> MOJO BOOGIE 5:58
> HIGHWAY 61 6:51
>
> 10:41
>
> *With Different Guitarist
>
> Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722
> DFC KFC ZFC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home