Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Outformation Athens 6/2/2006

Outformation Athens 6/2/2006
>
> Hey 'All,
>
> Got home very late the night before as my plane experienced the usual Delta $&^$^$#!! I have had 3 horrible experiences my last 4 trips. Worked around the house Friday until about 2:45. Stacey flew in from Raleigh and I picked her up at the Marta station. We headed up towards Athens. It took over an hour just to get to Gwinnett! Traffic everywhere on this Friday afternoon. We finally made it, stopped by Lara's oven(I mean apartment), and headed to Lumpkin Street. We went over to the Taco Stand as Stacey never went there. I sent Carrington and Pete there as well. I only ordered a burrito, as I knew Little Italy would be calling my name for a slice of pie. Wrong, Charles and Mindy were calling my name for dinner at the Thai Cafe. I got there in the rain 5 minutes later. The whole band was there for dinner and we all sat together. Grady, Lee, Clark, Bird Dog, and Eli were already there. I sat with them and ended up ordering some SPICY basil. We all were served and the food was very good. I have eaten in here for years and noticed they changed the name. The food was still very good. The spicy vegetables would surely come into play later. Chard called me and would be meeting us at the show. I was hoping to get to the Melting Point and record John Cowan, and then do Outformation. Cowan was cancelled due to illness.
>
> We headed in to the Georgia Theatre. Backyard Tire Fire opened up at about . Their leader Ed, was formerly of the band Brother Ed that I have caught before. I met there road manager, Nick. Very nice dude. We talked about the band, their songs, and what they are up to. Ed was their guitarist and songwriter. He also played keyboards on one tune. I told Nick they would be well rounded to add a keyboard player. They played some very good original compositions as well as a few nice covers. They hit stride after a few numbers. The Honey to a Bee>Gray Sky Blue>The Devil Made Me Do It This Time was very well performed. I enjoyed the Billy Jo Shaver tune as it worked very well with a smooth segue. After the Tore Down, they closed with a Mark Byleu tune, 800 Miles. A nice 1 hour set to get us primed for the entree!
>
> We had a nice little FOB section set up. Besides myself, there was Charles and Mindy, DP and Kelli, Chard and Lindsay, Martin, Stacey, Carrington and Pete, Jayne, Lara, Brut, J.T.(hope your move to S.C. was good),and a few others. Outformation hit the stage at about 11:27. A nice new jam called Sony Guts lead into Can't Change the Past. Next up was one of my favs, Stone in my Show and this one stretched out almost 12 minutes. The Toy's Lament was my first and it sounded great. Clark dedicated Time Stands Still to our dearly departed friend Zac W. Hard to believe it's been 6 years since we lost him. They closed with another one I really enjoy, 90. We enjoyed a breather of about 17 minutes and back to business.
>
> They opened with an Edgewater>Sweet Louisiana. That song always gets the crowd stirring. Next was my personal favorite, Center Stage. This segued seemlessly into Tennessee Before Daylight. I got to hear Clark's new one, Set Me Free. A Titles sandwich with a hot Burned Faceless and Long Hard Ride among other songs, closed the set. The crowd was about 150-200, a good showing in Athens. And they were treated to a very fine show indeed. After we broke down, Charles and Mindy followed me back to Marietta. The ride was only about 70 minutes. I listened to my recording and was very happy. We stayed up for a bit to unwind.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Backyard Tire Fire
> The Georgia Theater
> Athens, Georgia
> 6/2/2006
>
> 10:07
>
> VAGABONDS AND HOOLIGANS 4:00
> MORE THAN A LOT> 2:23
> BETTER DAY> 2:58
> LINES 3:23
> HONEY TO A BEE> 2:30
> GRAY SKY BLUE> 7:15
> THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT THIS TIME 2:25
> DEALT THE WRONG HAND> 4:46
> CRACK ALLEY> 3:02
> THICK SKIN> 3:34
> TRYIN' TO GET PAID 3:35
> TORE DOWN 4:58
> 800 MILES 7:31
>
> 11:06
>
>
> Outformation
> The Georgia Theater
> Athens, Georgia
> 6/2/2006
>
> Set 1
> Sony Guts> 6:25
> Can't Change the Past 5:36
> Stone In My Shoe 11:55
> Winds> 6:11
> Toy's Lament> 6:00
> Bout My Money> 7:11
> Drum Solo/Jam> 2:49
> Bout My Money 1:25
> Time Stands Still 6:11
> 90 9:12
>
> 12:30
>
> 12:47
>
> Edgewater> 5:58
> Sweet Louisiana> 4:19
> Center Stage> 8:52
> Tennessee Before Daylight 8:13
> Cattle Drive> 8:05
> Set Me Free> 3:46
> Chicken Pickin'(With Will The Circle Be Unbroken Tease)> 3:07
> Titles> 3:37
> Camper Jam> 3:25
> Burned Faceless> 3:13
> Jam> 1:59
> Long Hard Ride> 3:49
> Into My Arms> 5:14
> Titles Reprise 1:40
>
> 1:51
>
> Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC!
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home