Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Roy Bookbinder Cleveland 6/15/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> I received an email from Terry, my taping buddy in Cleveland. He informed me that Roy would be in town and gave me some good directions. Never been to Night Town. At 5:45, i threw my gear in the Jeep and said, what the hell. I haven't seen Roy in a couple of years. A great entertainer and even a better story teller. I remember seeing him at Merlefest in 1996 and have seen him several times since.
> Here is a description if you haven't seen him:
>
> Roy Book Binder has been a Blues singing, guitar picking, song writing raconteur for the past thirty years. He worked closely in the ' 60s with blues masters Rev. Gary Davis and Pink Anderson. He is a genuine example of the traveling bluesman tradition that began in the ' 20s, was revived in the ' 60s and continues today. Book Binder's stories are as good as the songs. The Sydney Morning Herald said, "behind the humor lurks a musical master."
>
> I got to Night Town at about 7:55. I went through the bar and into the dining room. Terry flagged me down and introduced me to his friend Pat. She said I was welcome to join her and her daughter. No problem as the table was DFC! I was ready to record in about 5 minutes, which is about 2 minutes before Roy was to come on. I began rolling and my eyes wandered at people eating all around me. Wow, exquisite looking food! I grabbed my flashlight and checked out the menu. The Old Chatham Cheese Plate looked like a nice start. A nice hunk of Camembert with candied walnuts, fresh fruit, and water biscuits. Yummy! The Roasted Duck Breast Salad looked like the choice for dinner. Kinda light, which was good since I did hit Sbarros for a slice on the turnpike. Mescalin mix, greens, balsamic roasted shallots, goat cheese, strawberries, served with a blush vinaigrette. French baggettes included. Believe it or not, the scraping of plates was not too bad on the recording.
>
> Roy started at 8:08 with the Bird Boy Fuller piece, Rag Mama. If you've seen Roy, you know he can spin stories as well as anyone. He told us of how he began hanging with the Reverand Gary Davis. He also told us how he went to NYC to see a Robert Lockwood tribute at B.B. Kings. He said he invited Robert to the show as he lives in Cleveland. He played some great covers such as Blind Willie McTell's Baby it Must Be Love, The Rev's Let Us Get Together, and of course Dehlia. He closed the set after 1 hour. I was enjoying the music, food, and company at my table. By now Tim and Hank showed up. Pat graciously kept offering me wine. The Steel Creek Pinot Noir was tasting very good! Between sets, Terry introduced me to Roy. We chatted for a short bit as he had many people to talk to. I relieved myself after this. In many restrooms in bars and restaurants, the establishment pins up the sports pages of the newspaper. Here over the urinals were replica newspapers of the 1904 and 1965 NY Times! Awesome touch.
>
> After about a half hour, Roy began set two with a Black Dog Rag. I was surprised to see the Billy Jon Shaver cover of Chunk of Coal. Hadn't seen that in about a year. Next thing you know, Robert Lockwood walks in and grabs a seat at Terry' and Jan's table! Imagine this 91 year old legend making an appearance to see Roy. He got a rousing ovation. I got to meet him after the show. He played his own composition, St. Pete Blues for the 2nd time that night. He said he liked it so much the first time, that he thought he would play it again! More Rev. Gary Davis as we got Hesitation Blues, and Police Dog Blues.He closed with the C C and O Blues. The crowd got him out for an encore. i packed up my gear, said goodbye to all, and headed west. I thanked Pat for sharing her table, and 3 bottles of wine. I noticed Melissa was conspiculously absent. Another new venue for me. The food here and at Wilbert's downtown, are two of my favorite eating spots in Cleveland.
>
> As I drove west on Carnagie, I saw a lit sign with a pig on it. Yes, it was a BBQ joint. I think it was called Sauce Williams. And yes, I felt compelled to stop! As I got out of my car, I realized I was in the "hood". I ordered a pulled pork plate with some fresh cabbage and homeade cole slaw. I didn't get 1 block before I had gotten into my "dessert". The pork melted in my mouth. I did not like the sauce at all. Cabbage was excellent. With all the ruffage tonight, running out of gas on the turnpike would not happen. I made the 2 hour drive back and went to bed as I had an early day ahead of me. Tomorrow would be a new adventure!
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Roy Bookbinder
> Night Town
> Cleveland, Ohio
> 6/15/2006
>
> 8:08
>
> RAG MAMA 4:50
> WON'T YOU BE KIND 4:02
> NEW AGE WOMAN BLUES 3:45
> BABY IT MUST BE LOVE 2:45
> ROY TELLS STORY ABOUT WIVES 1:42
> ST. PETE BLUES 4:10
> ROY TELLS STORY ABOUT LITTLE HAT JONES 4:28
> KENTUCKY BLUES 3:05
> ROY TELLS STORY ABOUT REV. GARY DAVIS 5:30
> THE PREACHER PICKED THE GUITAR 4:50
> LET US GET TOGETHER 2:27
> ROY TELLS ANOTHER STORY ABOUT REV. GARY DAVIS 4:50
> COUNTY FROLIC RAG 3:10
> DEHLIA 7:00
> ANOTHER MAN DONE A FOOL GO ROUND 4:40
>
> 9:08
>
> 9:39
>
> BLACK DOG RAG 3:17
> IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT, IT'S GONNA BE OKAY 2:39
> CHUNK OF COAL 3:30
> ROY TELLS STORY ABOUT MEETING BILLY JO SHAVER 2:00
> ST. PETE BLUES 6:00
> WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN YOUR BABY SAYS YOU'RE GONNA PACK UP AND GO 4:45
> BLIND LEMON 5:00
> HESITATION BLUES 6:30
> ANYWHERE YOU CAN GO, I CAN GO THERE TOO 4:45
> POLICE DOG BLUES 5:17
> CIGARETTE BLUES 4:40
> ROY TELLS STORY AND TUNES UP 4:40
> LONG TALL MAMA 3:15
> POKER PLAYING PAPA 3:30
> THE C C & O BLUES 5:10
>
> 10:49
>
> 10:50
>
> YOU'LL NEVER FIND A FRIEND LIKE ME 4:10
>
> 10:58
>
> Schoeps CCM4V's>Sound Devices 722
> BOB DFC KFC ZFC 18' FROM STAGE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home