Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Magic Slim and the Teardrops Ann Arbor 6/12/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> I received a call from Brian in Ann Arbor about tonight's show at The Ark. I kinda had this one penciled in. After speaking with Brian late this afternoon, my mind was made up. Magic's health isn't the best and if you get a chance this close, you "have" to go. I left work around 5:30, changed and grabbed my gear. Anyways, I needed an excuse to go to Whole Foods for some grazing. Got to Whole Foods by 6:45. The Low Fat Irish Cheddar was $2.00 off a pound. It was very tasty and sharp. The halibut spread on some Ciabatta bread definitely hit the spot. Some Tarot chips, goat cheese, and some black bean salad rounded out the tasting. I picked up some Chipolte Brisket as usual. I bought a container of Andouille Thought Sausage Gumbo. Very spicy and thick! Off to The Ark. One circle around the block netted me a free spot at a meter. My gear was packed low profile as I proceeded to the doors. They opened about 2 minutes after I arrived. I bought a ducat and entered. I had a GA ticket and grabbed my spot in the 8th row DFC. The place only got about halfway filled. It was a Monday night. Great seeing the usual suspects - Jeff and Ruth, and Brian! Where were Steve, Jim and Laurie, and Kevin??
>
> The Tear Drops hit the stage just afer 8:00. The first 2 songs were just the Teardrops. Enter Magic Slim! After one song, he put his guitar down and left the stage quickly. His rhythm guitarist introduced Key to the Highway. Within 1 minute, Slim was back and Key was aborted. Instead, we got Get Your Business Staight. The set progressed nicely culminating with the combo Yonder Wall>Hideaway. We just saw Johnny Winter tear up a Hideaway 12 days prior at this venue. After a 50 minute set, they took an 18 minute break.
>
> The second set opened like the first, with just the Teardrops. Now it was time for Key to the Highway. After 2 tunes, Magic appeared. Another 9 song set. A nice I Play the Blues For You>Rock Me Baby. The Rock Me Baby had some nice trading guitar licks. The set ended with Angel of Mercy>The Blues is Alright. They were not getting out of there without an encore. For a small crowd, they we were enthusiastic! The encore consisted of Kansas City>Sweet Home Chicago>The Blues is Alright. I thoroughly enjoyed this gem of a blues show! Dan "Mudfoot" ran the sound. Unfortunately, there was a buzz on Magic's guitar at times. This problem also plagued the Johnny Winter show last week. Must be a bad ground on a pickup. If you get the chance to see them, make it happen. I boogied out as I had a couple of work related phone calls come in on the way out. My last trip less than two weeks ago I discovered the NY Pizza Depot's summer hours had the joint closed by the end of the show. Jeff and Ruth steered me to a second location. I got there by 10:30 and lo and behold, it was closed as well. Next time, more courses at Whole Foods so I can eat some on the way back.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Magic Slim and the Teardrops
> The Ark
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> 6/12/2006
>
> 8:01
>
> ? 5:24
> JELLY ROLL BLUES 7:40
> ? 6:51
> GET YOUR BUSINESS STRAIGHT 6:01
> WHITE-HAIRED WOMAN, SHE LIKES TO DRINK WINE ALL THE TIME> 4:17
> SHAME 4:09
> PLEASE DON'T DOG ME 7:46
> YONDER WALL> 5:35
> HIDEAWAY 3:55
>
> 8:51
>
> 9:09
>
> KEY TO THE HIGHWAY 5:27
> SAIL ON 5:40
> MAGIC SLIM INTRO MUSIC 1:18
> ? > 5:40
> I PLAY THE BLUES FOR YOU> 3:25
> ROCK ME BABY 8:00
> ? 6:45
> ANGEL OF MERCY With BAND INTRODUCTIONS > 9:00
> THE BLUES IS ALRIGHT 5:20
>
> 10:00
>
> 10:02
>
> KANSAS CITY> 5:20
> SWEET HOME CHICAGO> 1:40
> THE BLUES IS ALRIGHT 2:00
>
> 10:10
>
> *The first 2 songs of each set were just the Teardrops
>
> SCHOEPS CCM4V'S>SOUND DEVICES 722
> BOB DFC KFC ZFC 8TH ROW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home