Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Spikedrivers Columbus 6/9/2006

Hey Y'All,

After saying goodbye to Lopez, Rick, and all the freaks at the Mule show, i was packed and ready to haul to Oldfields for the Spikedrivers! Between Pete's 2 year old chocolates, and lots of beer and triple Crowns, Zee and I were not about to call it a night. Only problem was my Jeep could not make it to Neptune, and that is about where Nate was at! After about 8 cell phjone calls back and forth, he and his buddy, stumbled into the Jeep. We made it to Oldfields in about 10 minutes. I picked a spot about 15' from the stage. Nate tried to convince me to move to the back wall. The sound of beer bottles slammin' in the trash, and the women's bathroom door getting flooded with traffic, had me to believe I was where I needed to be. The place had a nice crowd. Then the SD took the stage and I realized that now there was a nice crowd. The dance floor in front of me and around me filled in.

They opened at about 12:30 with a Built for Comfort. Always a good tune to see live. Being in a rowdy bar meant it was time for the Hank Williams classic, Hoky Tonkin'. I always admire a band that covers Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues! They played a short but tight 52 minute set. I must admit this was my first SD show with Sweney on guitar. Definitely more interesting as he traded licks with Paul, who plays a kick-ass lap steel, among other guitars. By now, Nate was cooked and his eyes were almost closed. He probably does not remember talking to Ted Ginn. His buddy was quite wasted as well, as we all were. Where was Pete E.?

After a very brief break, it was back up for set III. Nate was now in the barstool I put in front of the stand for protection. Now, how was I to protect the gear from Nate? Simple, we dragged the stool back about 3 feet! We were dacncin' and havin' a grand old time. I got slack on the setlist but do recall a Shotgun in there. Megan covered a nice version of Jolene. The set closed with a rockin' Good Ol' Mountain Dew. The boistrous crowd demande one more. they closed with a tribute to Katrina with America Hit Below the Bible Belt. The band kicked some ass! Jessie the Body was in fine form. Dual guitar licks, Megan cookin' up the room on the fiddle, and a solid backbone of Steve on bass and Tim on drums set the tone.

Time to pile Nate into the Jeep and get him home. After we got to the house, it took almost 10 minutes for him to find his keys. BTW, how did the video footage I shot come out Nate? I did my best, I believe the lens cap was off and I did hit record. We covered the food in the review of tonight's first show. But I vaguely remember going thru Rally's with Zee after 3:00 a.m.?

Here is how it went down:

The Spikedrivers
Oldfield's On Main
Columbus, Ohio
6/9/2006

2nd Set:

12:30

BUILT FOR COMFORT 12:55
HONKY TONKIN' 4:30
WALKED OFF 7:51
TO THE MOON 3:34
LIKE WATER 5:12
SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK BLUES 2:53
I'M A WOMAN 6:44
WHAT YOUR B.F.

1:22

3rd Set:

1:36

?
?
?
? 4:48
SHOTGUN 4:55
JOLENE 6:16
BALLAD OF ? 5:50
GOOD OL' MOUNTAIN DEW 5:10
BAND INTRODUCTIONS

2:15

2:18

AMERICA HIT BELOW THE BIBLE BELT 5:15

2:22

Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722 24-96
FOB DFC FON (Front of Nate) KFC ZFC Z SQUARED

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home