Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Dave Matthews Band Columbus 6/7/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> First of all, Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there! Sorry for the delay here on this one. After a nice stay at home, I headed back to Ohio. I actually flew into Detroit and arrived late morning. I would have a sidekick for the next couple of days, Zee. There was some music to be seen and recorded, and as he is going to Alaska for the summer, we thought this would be a nice farewell mini tour to hang together. He arrived about 1 hour after me. We headed south on I-75, and made a pitstop in Toledo to visit Tim. Now it was south to Columbus for the evening's show at Polaris (now Germain Ampitheatre). We got to the lot at about 6:00, as doors were opening. The rains came! The show was sold out and we did not have a ticket. Not overly concerned as "shit happens" all the time. Thanks to Tim's umbrella we borrowed, I headed out in the lot in search of 2 ducats. It was tough as it usually is, but after about 35 minutes, I purchased 2 pavilion seats for face value. They were not high up, but all the way to the right. I knew the seat in Section D, Row R number 4, would not find my ass in it tonight. I did see one mic stand a couple of rows benind the board, and cut across to get there. Nobody home, so I set up right next to it and ran for G Love and Special Sauce. He came on 4 minutes early. The 47 minute set did not move me. I saw them open for Panic in 1999? Too much rap/hip hop for me.
>
> Jeff, the owner of the stand showed up during G Love's set and said I could clamp on. Excellent as my seat was not there. After the 37 minute stage change out, Dave appeared to the delight of the sold out audience. All those people on the lawn were already drenched. I know the feeling. However, tonight, we would be dry. The place erupted as the opening notes of Pantala eased into Rapunzel. Right away, I noticed the extra member of the lineup. It was Rashawn Ross on trumpet. A very LARGE dude! He was a nice compliment to LeRoi on sax. It looked like he was sporting a black t-shirt of Scarface.
>
> The Crash and Lie In Our Graves had the crowd primed! The Lie in our Graves clocked in at over 16 minutes! Next came some new material that was really good. Dave played many of his heavy weight standards to the delight of all. The Dancing Nancies was one in particular. Dave broke out the electric guitar for last year's new tune, Smooth Rider. The So Much>Too much was right on the money! The Crush Me featured a nice musical dual between Boyd and Stefan. And Leroi added a nice Flute to this one. They closed with Stay. They re-entered the stage to a thunderous applause. We were treated to a pair, Digging a Ditch and another crowd favorite, Tripping Billies.
>
> The sound was as good as expected for Polaris. Ever since my first show there many moons ago, I never felt the sound was as good as the many other "cookie cutter" outdoor sheds I've frequented. I really liked the new stage backdrop with the 3 huge screens and new lights! They did a great job! The addition of Rashawn was a noticable improvement to the sound. I sent discs home to Chris, and she commented on hearing the difference as well. Always a great time hangin' with my partner in crime, Zee. Finally got to see B.J. at a show! Thanks for the clamp on Jeff! After the show, we were thinkin' Waffle House as I can always put down a Chicken Melt Plate Double Scattered and Smothered! No WH near the hotel, so it was BW3's. In about 15 minutes, out table top at the booth was covered with all kinds of sauced wings, legs, and various other greasy delights! After we chowed, we hit the hotel and Discovery channel to watch the Deadliest Catch. A great show on Crab fishermen. Check it out!
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Dave Matthews Band
> Germaine Ampiteatre
> Columbus, Ohio
> 6/7/2006
>
> 8:20
>
> Pantala Naga Pampa >
> Rapunzel 11:43
> One Sweet World 6:36
> Crash 6:34
> Lie in Our Graves 16:02
> Big Eyed Fish > 5:16
> JTR 7:34
> Hunger for the Great Light 4:12
> Dancing Nancies 11:14
> *Smooth Rider 12:00
> So Much to Say >4:20
> Jam > 1:40
> Too Much 8:15
> #The Idea Of You 4:45
> Crush 13:33
> *Kill The King 4:54
> Stay 7:05
>
> 10:23
>
> 10:30
>
> Digging a Ditch 5:19
> Tripping Billies 6:
>
> 10:42
>
> * with Dave on Electric Guitar
> # with Dave on 12 string Guitar
> Entire show with Rashawn Ross on trumpet
>
> Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC Z SQUARED!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home