Zman goes on tour!!!

This is a blog dedicated to the concert travels of Zman, world record holder for most concerts ever attended, most DAT tapes recorded on, most miles traveled after 1 am, etc.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Gov't Mule Columbus 6/9/2006

>
> Hey Y'All,
>
> We got up after an entertaining evening of Mule. I had been up doing some work stuff, as Zee snoozed away. We hit the road late morning as we headed west on I-70, back to Columbus. We snagged a quick bite on the way. We arrived at Nate and Kate's in the middle of the afternoon. My first visit to see Blaik, Nate and kate's baby boy. I guess you could say I got to see my "Grandson". What a cute little boy! We watched some old Panic video, thanks to Pete. Did I mention we were hungry?
> We went to Weiland's near Nate's house to pick up some grub. I really like the store, kinda like a neighborhood Whole Foods, but even MORE expensive. Quality items though. We picked up some very good looking steaks. Nate grabbed some homeade Chicken Salad, and Zee picked out a nice Merlot. I couldn't resist the smoked brisket in the hot food case. I figured a 1/2 pound would not hurt my appetite. The chicken salad on gourmet crackers was a nice appetizer. Well, 2nd appetizer as I had the brisket. Nate fired up the grill, and in 20 minutes, dinner was ready! By the time we were done, I was ready to hit the venue. Those guys were in no hurry and I would meet them later. Nate had a couple of "chocolates" from a couple of tours ago that he do-Nated to our cause for the night. Thanks Pete, you were definitely with us in spirit tonight!
>
> I arrived at Promo West, bought a ticket, and entered the scene. Finally, I would see this venue on the outside. The few shows that were supposed to be outside, got changed inside due to weather or other unknown reasons. The tapers section is just behind the VIP section, not too far back. Actually, too far back for me. I went down to the pit and set up by the rail, DFC. I went up to the section to say hey to Nate's illegitimate brother, and my illegitimate son, Rob. Jason was also in the house taping. The soundboard is all the way up the hill oin the back, very strange spot indeed. Slim still made it work as usual.
>
> Umphrey's McGee was the opener and I was surprised how full the pit was prior to the start of the show. It was a bit windy, even more so up on the lawn. I have seen Umphrey's probably about 10 times, the last one being in Nawlin's for last years Mule show at the Orpheum. They were pretty good, but never pushed me over the top. After about 1/2 way into the set, I realized that they have improved greatly since the past 14 months, a marked improvement. They were much tighter and played some very good songs. more lyrics this time around as well. Zee thought they were very good, and this was way before all the triple Crown Royals he was bringing us. They played just short of a 2 hour set. I was surprised they got that much time. The Walletsworth>Plunger opener got everyone's attention. I enjoyed the Jimmy Stewart as both Jake and Brandon played a very cool twin lead, reminiscent of the style of the Allman Brothers back in the day. The long Bridgeless closed the set.
>
> We were now primed for our daily dose of Mule! Warren and the boys took the stage after about a 35 minute changeover. They opened with a slow John the Revelator featuring Danny blowing trumpet on this one. It was time to cook as Rockin' Horse>Larger than Life was up next. Old school jamming with Birth of the Mule. One of the highlights for me had to be the Gameface>Mountain Jam>Gameface sandwich! Never get tired of that one! Jake from Umphrey's joined up to help with a very slow and long version of Watchtower. Effigy was on my list tonight, and I got it next, complete with the Folsom Prison jam in the middle. Kris Myers & Andy Farag of Umphrey's McGee joined Matt for tonight's drum solo. They closed with a kick-ass About to Rage>Lola, and Mule! The encore was NOT Soulshine, but a very sweet Sugaree as Brendon from Umphrey's joined in. A great way to end the show!
>
> Great hanging with my running partner Zee, Nate, Tim, Pete, Terri, Don, Pete and Melanie, Jim, China, and the other FOB freaks! Did I mention that someone clamped on my stand did not save the info on his memory card when he switched after 2 hours? Any idea who that was PETE? Lopez was working the scene for Mule as usual. I got to chat with him after the show. Had to make tracks as music was on the late night horizon!
>
> Last week I had gotten into an arguement with Kenny about the Mule. I told him how I relished seeing their live shows and he told me he thought they were boring. They have integrated so many songs into their rotation the past 2 years. Thier setlists are anything but standard! I consistantly walk out of Mule shows feeling satiated and fulfilled. I can't remember the last time I left a Mule show saying "they weren't that good tonight. They are one of the most consistant bands on tour in my opinion. To each is own I guess.
>
> Here is how it went down:
>
> Umphrey's McGee
> PromoWest Pavilion
> Columbus, Ohio
> 6/9/2006
>
> 7:02
>
> Tribute to the Spinal Shaft>
> Walletsworth> 13:15
> Tribute to the Spinal Shaft>
> Plunger 12:43
> Anchor Drops 10:40
> Utopian Fir> 2:55
> Chitlins Con Carne> 4:50
> Utopian Fir> :31
> Jimmy Stewart> 13:17
> All in Time 14:34
> The Bottom Half 7:09
> Kimble 5:21
> Higgins 9:57
> Roulette 5:25
> Bridgeless 14:59
>
> 8:58
>
> Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC Z SQUARED!
>
> Gov't Mule
> PromoWest Pavilion
> Columbus, Ohio
> 6/9/2006
>
> 9:34
>
> John The Revelator 7:18
> Rockin' Horse > 9:06
> Larger Than Life 6:27
> Birth Of The Mule 10:11
> A Million Miles From Yesterday> 3:45
> Gameface > 4:37
> Mountain Jam > 6:33
> Gameface 2:25
> *All Along The Watchtower 12:26
> Effigy > 6:07
> Folsom Prison Jam > 2:33
> Effigy > 2:23
> #Drum Solo > 11:48
> Three String George > 5:46
> Bad Man Walking 4:09
> About To Rage > 9:20
> Lola Leave Your Light On 6:
> Mule (with Bass Solo) 10:20
>
> 11:35
>
> 11:38
>
> @Sugaree
>
> * with Jake of Umphrey's McGee
> # with Kris Myers & Andy Farag of Umphrey's McGee
> @ with Brendan Bayliss & Joel Cummins of Umphrey's McGee
>
> Schoeps CCM4V'S>Sound Devices 722 24-96
> FOB DFC KFC ZFC Z SQUARED!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home